Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Is He Public Enemy #1?
Old 03-16-2008, 06:13 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Is He Public Enemy #1?

Or is he just suffering unfair abuse at the hands of an ungrateful public and government?

Is he the next Dennis Kozlowski, Bernie Ebbers, or Ken Lay? What is your opinion?

Companies are reportedly under investigation... looking for fraud.

Countrywide Fights Federal Probe [CFC] - RTTNews, Today's Top Stories, Global Newswires, ToDay's Top News,Global Business news ....
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2008, 08:43 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Well, let's see - - I will proceed to pontificate upon Countrywide for a moment.

In 2002 I e-mailed Frank that I was shopping for a mortgage, and Frank instantly urged me with great alarm to avoid Countrywide. His reasons? Their questionable business practices and his certainty that they were planning to go under, pocket the profit, and leave homeowners holding the bag. Well, it didn't quite pan out that way but my point is that some people saw potentially huge problems in their business practices even six years ago.

(Personally, I took his advice and got a 30-year fixed mortgage at 6.375% from Chase even though Countrywide was offering 6.25% that week).

My question is why did they not have government looking over their shoulders and breathing down their necks at that time? How were they allowed to continue and get into a mess like this? If anything illegal was done, it should have been rooted out six years ago. If anything illegal was not done, maybe more regulation is in order.

As an aside, if CEO's bore personal liability for these financial disasters instead of walking away with tens of millions in yearly bonuses, I think fewer such disasters would happen.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 10:33 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
As an aside, if CEO's bore personal liability for these financial disasters instead of walking away with tens of millions in yearly bonuses, I think fewer such disasters would happen.
Always the greatest insult when these things happen...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 11:27 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
they were planning to go under, pocket the profit, and leave homeowners holding the bag. Well, it didn't quite pan out that way but my point is that some people saw potentially huge problems in their business practices even six years ago.

(Personally, I took his advice and got a 30-year fixed mortgage at 6.375% from Chase even though Countrywide was offering 6.25% that week).
Maybe you or one of the other contributors can help me understand.......

What would have happened to you if you had gone with a Countrywide mortgage at the lower rate (everything else the same) and Countrywide had gone belly-up, "pocketed the profits and left the homeowners holding the bag?"

I'd always thought that perhaps this could lead to some paperwork hassle but that you'd just wind up owing someone else the same amount under the same terms. Is this not true?
Old 03-16-2008, 11:36 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post

What would have happened to you if you had gone with a Countrywide mortgage at the lower rate (everything else the same) and Countrywide had gone belly-up, "pocketed the profits and left the homeowners holding the bag?"

I'd always thought that perhaps this could lead to some paperwork hassle but that you'd just wind up owing someone else the same amount under the same terms. Is this not true?
I would think that countrywide would be purchased by another bank or possibly split up and purchased by several companies.

I would not thing the person holding the loan would do anything... except perhaps send the payment to another bank.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 11:38 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

This is exactly the way I see it, too. So long as Countrywide showed up at the closing with the funds, whatever happened down the road would not affect me. I would simply go on making monthly payments on my 6.25% loan.
FIRE'd@51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 11:55 AM   #7
Administrator

Quote:

Countrywide never actually held the mortgage loans that they made. Rather, they packaged them together and securitized them. The home owners still owe the money, but generally not to Countrywide (although Countrywide may still be the servicer). If anyone is left holding the bag, it is the investors who bought the mortgage backed securities, not the borrowers.
Old 03-16-2008, 12:00 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Countrywide never actually held the mortgage loans that they made. Rather, they packaged them together and securitized them. The home owners still owe the money, but generally not to Countrywide (although Countrywide may still be the servicer). If anyone is left holding the bag, it is the investors who bought the mortgage backed securities, not the borrowers.
Right. I've also had banks and credit unions who actually did service most of their own mortgages (and not sell them to investors). Funny thing...they tended to be a lot more conservative in their lending practices and they aren't going under. Imagine that.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote