Join Early Retirement Today

Is it too late for a Vanguard Roth conversion?
Old 12-30-2020, 03:35 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Is it too late for a Vanguard Roth conversion?

I forgot to do my Roth conversion. It's 4:30 CST and I'd like to do a Vanguard Roth conversion. I already have a Roth acct.

Just wondering if this transaction will be a 2020 transaction if I pull the trigger on it now, or if there is some sort of delay that would make the transaction a 2021.

I've been on hold waiting for Vanguard to answer this question.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2020, 03:39 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

There’s nothing preventing you from doing it as long as it’s done before close of business tomorrow, which is probably 1:00 EST.
Dash man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 03:45 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I do Vanguard Roth conversions on their web site with no withholding and move mutual fund shares. When doing this particular kind of Roth conversion, my transactions execute at the next close of the NYSE.

It appears that the NYSE is open tomorrow. It also appears that they are open for a full day, but they may close early because of NYE.

If you are doing the same kind of Roth conversion as I do, and the market is in fact open tomorrow, then I would expect your transaction to post with a 12/31 date on it and count as a 2020 transaction.

You could put the instructions in anytime tonight. Personally I wouldn't wait until tomorrow afternoon since it's unclear when the markets close tomorrow, at least to me it is.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 04:03 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks - I pulled the trigger. Still waiting on hold with Vanguard - just to see how long it takes them to answer. Now at 1hr 55 mins.
Old 12-30-2020, 04:13 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Wow, 1 hr 55 min wait, that's crazy. I was wondering if Vanguard has online chat? I have Schwab, and if you log on to their website, you can chat online with a live customer service representative. It is much easier and faster in some circumstances. Does Vanguard have this? Not sure if during holiday season it would be faster, but it would be something to try if it was available for Vanguard.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 04:18 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

^ Thanks for the chat idea. I'll check to see if Vanguard has online chat - next time. I'm a little pissed at Vg right now. 2hrs 10 mins and counting.
Old 12-30-2020, 04:19 PM   #7
Administrator

The NYSE closes early tomorrow (2:00 pm EST).
Old 12-30-2020, 04:25 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

^Thanks - my receipt says that the transaction will take place 12/31/2020.

I think that Vg has closed down their phone support for the holiday. I'll know that's the case if I'm on hold for a few days.
Old 12-30-2020, 07:12 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Interesting comments about the hold time.

I had a call in with them this afternoon that was grand total 18 minutes. 5 of which were going over my situation.
Granted this wasn't to make a transaction so maybe different people, just inquiries about TSP rollovers.
FDC319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 10:38 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
One nice thing about TD Ameritrade is I can do a roth conversion on the website as long as both accounts are with them.
Takes around 3 minutes , and the money is moved and done.
Old 12-30-2020, 11:25 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDC319 View Post
Interesting comments about the hold time.

I had a call in with them this afternoon that was grand total 18 minutes. 5 of which were going over my situation.
Granted this wasn't to make a transaction so maybe different people, just inquiries about TSP rollovers.
Maybe you dialed the upstairs number and the OP is on the downstairs line? (*)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
One nice thing about TD Ameritrade is I can do a roth conversion on the website as long as both accounts are with them.
Takes around 3 minutes , and the money is moved and done.
Ditto Vanguard. The OP is taking longer because they want to ask an actual person a question.

(*) https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=125
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 06:11 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

My conversion at VG yesterday morning was completed today. When I checked last night around 11pm it was still showing as pending and the funds were still in my tIRA.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 07:16 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
Maybe you dialed the upstairs number and the OP is on the downstairs line? (*)

Ditto Vanguard. The OP is taking longer because they want to ask an actual person a question.

(*) https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=125

Oh I'm about as downstairs a person at Vanguard as you can get.

Concur with the ditto on Vanguard--due to my own mistakes earlier this year I had to re characterize a Roth contribution and then backdoor it. Convenient button in my account to do so.
FDC319 is offline   Reply With Quote