Is moving to Canada an option for early retirement?

Warmth.... I remember warmth...
Hang in there - Spring starts next week:

img_905119_0_8637608bac06828945a9c1d3cd7acb6f.jpg

In northeast Minnesota I have never met a Mexican, central or south American immigrant, legal or illegal. Our resorts have seasonal temporary workers from other countries, but they usually are northern European, like Estonia. I do understand that there are a number of Mexican seasonal farm workers in western Minnesota. I know Canada has seasonal farm worker population too, including many legal temporary workers from Mexico.

Our resort workers are almost all from Australia or New Zealand (in Banff and the Rockies). In the farming country where I come from in Alberta, there aren't any seasonal workers that aren't local. It's probably the type of farming since there'd be more cash crops out in Minnesota whereas we're more grain farming and the last thing you'd want would be to have someone inexperienced driving your $250k tractor.

Exactly. They don't want people moving there just to milk the system. They want people that can contribute, not just leech.

I would be retired so I wouldn't be taking anybody's job. I would however be spending all of my money there so that would help the economy. Perhaps not enough to pay for my health care though?

They may not be in IT or Engineering, but most of them will hold an advanced degree. The only reason they are working a menial job is they can't speak adequate English. There are also many that immigrant based on a relative.

In reading these rules for immigration it seems like you have to have some sort of valuable skillset not available in Canada to move there. Having spent some time vacationing in Canada (mostly Toronto) it seems like a big metling point of various nationalities. Are you telling me all these people are in IT, Engineering or some field in great demand? Seems like there must be some loopholes or other methods of moving and gaining citzenship.

I've never seen an illegal from Mexico in Canada and I've lived here for 40 years. If there were any illegals, they'd be from either China or east India. Come to think of it, I've only met 2 Mexican people here in Canada period.
You can replace Mexico with China or India if you want. I was trying to find out how Canada handles health care for illegal immigrants who cannot afford to pay.

But from what you say its seems that:

1.) Canada is very good at keeping illegals out.

2.) No illegal wants to move to Canada.

3.) You have more illegals than you think, they just hide good.

4.) A combination of the above.

You can replace Mexico with China or India if you want. I was trying to find out how Canada handles health care for illegal immigrants who cannot afford to pay.
It would be quite easy to cheat the system here. You get a health care card which has no picture and I've never been asked for any form of picture ID at a doctor's office. Apparently there's more cards issued in Ontario than there is people, and I've heard that some Americans that live near the border also obtain Canadian health care fraudulently. :nonono:

But if you were not defrauding the system, someone who's an illegal immigrant would just have to pay for the services out of pocket.

From the wikipedia article I linked previously, here's the stats on illegal immigrants:
There is no credible information available on illegal immigration in Canada. Estimates range between 35,000 and 120,000 illegal immigrants in Canada.

The US supposedly has about 11,000,000 illegals, (3-4%) vs Canada's high estimate (< 0.5%). Yeah, I guess they don't want to come here. :LOL:

I've never seen an illegal from Mexico in Canada and I've lived here for 40 years. If there were any illegals, they'd be from either China or east India. Come to think of it, I've only met 2 Mexican people here in Canada period.

I know a few legal immigrants of Mexican origin and there are quite a few legal seasonal workers from Mexico. They come here in the summer :) to harvest crops, and go home for the winter :nonono: . I have never knowingly met a Mexican who was here illegally.

It would be quite easy to cheat the system here. You get a health care card which has no picture and I've never been asked for any form of picture ID at a doctor's office. Apparently there's more cards issued in Ontario than there is people, and I've heard that some Americans that live near the border also obtain Canadian health care fraudulently. :nonono:

It isn't that easy.
1) You can't get an Alberta Heath Care card without a SIN number. As a guestworker
(i.e., not holding Permanent Resident status or better), mine starts with the digit "9".
2) You can't get a SIN number without a work permit or other official permission to stay in Canada (your al-qaeda or Sikh mafia membership card or application for immigration as a refugee from anywhere except the US).

Can I bring all of my guns?

Why not try? The Canadian govt seems unable to stop illegal (i.e., all) firearms from entering the country. (Believe it or not, they blame this on the US! By the way, they also accuse the US of failing to protect the world against killer asteroids. :crazy:) The worst that can happen is that they will forever bar you from entering. Oh, yeah--they will take your toys away from you, too.

If you would like to teach in Iqaluit, nurse in Nunavut, or invest in Nunavik, you would be welcome to fill up the empty space!

Or try dancing as a striper in Toronto. A lot of the Eastern European dancers got to Canada under the skilled immigrant section. For a good secondary source, see the April, 2006 Economist. For primary sources, well, you just have to get a bunch of bills and head up to Toronto.

Can I bring all of my guns?

When I imported my motorhome from the states, I employed my reading upside-down abilities and saw a list at the customs office of their gun confiscations. One person had over a dozen firearms that got taken away. I wonder if they hold them or just outright confiscate them.

When I imported my motorhome from the states, I employed my reading upside-down abilities and saw a list at the customs office of their gun confiscations. One person had over a dozen firearms that got taken away. I wonder if they hold them or just outright confiscate them.

No one hunts in Canada.:confused:

Carrying Firearms and Weapons into Canada

Canadians do hunt, and lots of Americans come here to hunt too. No, you won't get your guns back if they are confiscated. To avoid confiscation, you have to apply for an authorization to transport them first.

Looks more complicated than I thought. Canada is such a huge country with relatively little people you would think they would be more "open" to people moving there.

Health care in Canada is extremely expensive and paid for via heavy taxes...it is no different than here in the states. We pay if we want and need it but in Canada we pay regardless if we want or need it. Therefore it is annoying to think that someone might want to retire there just to use the healthcare system. If you have contributed, well then, have at it but if you have not and expect to just come and grow old there while enjoying the prepaid system I doubt you will be successful.

FYI....Vancouver is one of Canada's most expensive cities.

Vancouver is one of Canada's most expensive cities.
People from Texas as especially shocked at the costs in Vancouver.

But if you don't smoke, drink or eat out, it is manageable.

Health care in Canada is extremely expensive and paid for via heavy taxes...it is no different than here in the states. We pay if we want and need it but in Canada we pay regardless if we want or need it. Therefore it is annoying to think that someone might want to retire there just to use the healthcare system. If you have contributed, well then, have at it but if you have not and expect to just come and grow old there while enjoying the prepaid system I doubt you will be successful.

FYI....Vancouver is one of Canada's most expensive cities.

I don't know about the heavy taxes Allison. I lived in Texas for a few years and I didn't really notice a huge difference in the tax rates. Could have been the mid-income bracket I was in at the time because I definitely pay more now than many make in a year once I go over $100k/year.

Agree with you about the retiring to Canada for the health care if you haven't paid into the system. Although I read something recently that said that Canada's health care costs per person were 1/2 of that spent in the US. I think the numbers were around $5k/year in Canada vs. $8k/year in the US. So someone could just pay as they go and come out ok I think as long as they didn't have a major illness.

Vancouver IS expensive, Victoria is prettier and less expensive. I did a groceries comparison on a blog post recently between Alberta and Montana and our costs in Canada are somewhere around 30% higher.

I'd consider it if I was an American and the US dollar was a lot stronger.

as long as they didn't have a major illness.

And that's what all this hospitalization INSURANCE debate is all about.........

Is INSURANCE going to be for handling major illnesses or for providing free routine care, especially for the lower middle class and down, or both?

And that's what all this hospitalization INSURANCE debate is all about.........

Is INSURANCE going to be for handling major illnesses or for providing free routine care, especially for the lower middle class and down, or both?

how bout making it a high deductable policy? the feds have 1 that costs the employee or retiree $70 - $80 per month for a single person (and the insurance co puts about $70/mo into a HSA for the employee/retiree). now granted that is subsidized by the feds (they pick up 3/4th of the real premium) but even with out the subsidy, is that alot to pay for a HDHP? maybe the health care reform bill should focus on this approach.

Back
Top Bottom