Join Early Retirement Today

is now the time for 5 year cd?
Old 08-09-2022, 06:38 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

is now the time for 5 year cd?

I am seeing cd/s at 3.95 for 5 years. Do you folks think this is where it will stop or will there be further increases? I don't know what to think with the fed commenting about not being as aggressive in the upcoming meetings. what do you think? thanks

frank
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2022, 06:43 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
I am seeing cd/s at 3.95 for 5 years. Do you folks think this is where it will stop or will there be further increases? I don't know what to think with the fed commenting about not being as aggressive in the upcoming meetings. what do you think? thanks

frank

Sit tight, Frank, higher rates are coming.

Heck, I got 3.1% on a one year brokered CD this month at Schwab.
Old 08-09-2022, 06:58 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My answer for most individual fixed income instruments is to ladder them and then stay true to the strategy of reinvesting maturing notes on the long end and enjoy life.
A ladder is a great hedge against interest rate risk and it eliminates having to guess. Rates on the intermediate/long end can drop just as easily as they go up. No one knows the future.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 07:02 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I would say wait until this years round of rate increases are over. 4+% to 5% is my goal

In the meantime, we are using MYGAs for tax deferral and litigation protection.
Old 08-09-2022, 07:25 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

It would seem (to me anyway) that rates will continue to climb, at least for the next 6 to 12 months. I fully expect CD's, for all maturities over 1 year, to be over 4% before year end, especially if the FED raises rates another .75 points in September. Personally I'm looking to start building a ladder when I see 18 to 36 month brokered CD's hit ~4%. I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable buying 4 or 5 year CD's, "this year" unless they were significantly higher, which could happen I guess.
Old 08-09-2022, 08:51 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
My answer for most individual fixed income instruments is to ladder them and then stay true to the strategy of reinvesting maturing notes on the long end and enjoy life.
A ladder is a great hedge against interest rate risk and it eliminates having to guess. Rates on the intermediate/long end can drop just as easily as they go up. No one knows the future.
I think of laddering CDs/Bonds/etc. as the same thing as dollar cost averaging for putting new money into the stock market. It's rather humbling since I have to admit I can't predict the future. But, it keeps me from doing something silly like buying a 5 year CD at 1.2% ( I saw one late last year, IIRC) while inflation is starting to rage.

However, I do think with the Fed making it clear that further interest rate hikes are in the cards for later this year and maybe next year, avoiding long-term CDs is a good idea and has the odds going for it .

The July inflation rate is due to be unveiled in two days, the 11th. That might guide you a bit more.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 11:22 AM   #7

Nobody has a functional crystal ball
so I read tea leaves.
My biased opinion is that while SHORT TERM rates are rising, rates on longer durations have actually been falling lately as "the market" is expecting rate cuts sooner rather than later. Inventory of longer durations is getting sucked up fast and a lot of new issues are callable.

Today's Fido brokered CD inventory is flat for 2, 3, and 4 years at 3.3-3.35, the 5 year is only 3.45. Even the 10yr is 3.45... I didn't check if it was callable.

Markets pivot a lot faster now days. Which will make you cry more: missing out on a rate increase (that may not move the 5 yr higher) or having rates drop again before you buy?
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 11:37 AM   #8

The odds are rates will go up. But even if they don't, I can't imagine them coming down any time in the next 6 months. No need to rush for a long term CD.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 11:49 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Rates over 5 years have been coming down. So for all of you that are sure they will go up, I wouldn’t be too sure.
In mid June I could buy 4.5% munis. Now the same duration is about 3.4%
Short term rates react to the Fed, intermediate and long react to the future of the economy.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 11:54 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Can’t go wrong with a ladder.
Old 08-09-2022, 12:59 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Rates over 5 years have been coming down. So for all of you that are sure they will go up, I wouldn’t be too sure.
In mid June I could buy 4.5% munis. Now the same duration is about 3.4%
Short term rates react to the Fed, intermediate and long react to the future of the economy.

Yes they have. Maybe buy a 5 year with 1/2 your money and hold off for a few months (lock into a 3 month) .
pletal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 01:17 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Magic 8 Ball says "maybe."
Old 08-09-2022, 01:31 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Sit tight, Frank, higher rates are coming.

Heck, I got 3.1% on a one year brokered CD this month at Schwab.
I've been watching Fidelity for one of those good deal 1 year CDs. Slim pickins there.

Mike
wrigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 01:32 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

You guys prompted me to look at my credit union. Their CD rate curve is inverted. One year is 2.44%, five year is 0.9%.
EarlyandLate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 02:21 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyandLate View Post
You guys prompted me to look at my credit union. Their CD rate curve is inverted. One year is 2.44%, five year is 0.9%.
They won't sell many of those 5 year ones!
Old 08-09-2022, 04:59 PM   #16

Quote:

frank
Nobody knows.

That includes the people that think they do.
mrfeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 12:32 PM   #17

Quote:

frank
May I ask where the 3.95% 5 year CD's are?
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 12:40 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
May I ask where the 3.95% 5 year CD's are?
The best I have seen for 5 year is 3.55%.
Old 08-10-2022, 02:02 PM   #19

From a poster at depositaccounts

4% 60-Month CD Rate Is Here!!
donwein | 4 hours ago
I have just spoken with my CSR at EFCU after completing a wire transfer from Ally Bank.
She told me to wait until tomorrow to open the 60-month jumbo CD, because there will be a rate INCREASE from 3.85% to 4.00%.
All I can say is Hallelujah, 4% has at long last arrived!!

https://www.depositaccounts.com/bank...tml#promo48778
RetiredAndLovingIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 02:54 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

NFCU has 3 year 3.3%