Join Early Retirement Today

Is the Bull Market really 5 Years Old?
Old 06-30-2014, 05:18 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Is the Bull Market really 5 Years Old?

I pose this question because in October of 2011 the S and P 500 hit what was technically a sum total 20% intraday downturn from the previous high ,labeling it a bear market.The Dow and Nasdaq in 2011 fared better,but after the 2008-2009 bear market it seemed overkill to have another sharp drop so soon in time.So if the Bull market didn't really start until after October of 2011 this makes it only roughly 2.75 years old and not 5 years into the Bull market.If this is true,and I am only supposing ,then maybe this helps to explain the lack of a 10% correction.We had a nice 6% correction in the SP500 some months ago and nice correction in biotechs in the Nasdaq earlier this year. If my theory is correct maybe,just maybe this Bull Market is not so long in the tooth as was thought.This doesn't mean we won't have a nice correction at some point soon,but I think we may be in better shape than was previously thought.What does everyone else think?

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2014, 05:22 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Only time will reveal the answer.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:37 PM   #3
gone traveling

It does not matter... Over a long run...
eta2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 06:17 PM   #4
Dryer sheet wannabe

You're looking for patterns and explanations where there are none. There are no rules governing how long a bull market can or should be, and the "correction" that occurred in 2011 has absolutely no effect on what the market will do tomorrow, next week, next month, or next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
John3754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 06:39 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

A Stock Market Crash Simply Can?t Happen - Here's Why | InvestorPlace

Steen Jakobsen: Expect A 30% Stock Market Correction In 2014 (Podcast) | Seeking Alpha

What we know for sure, there will always be seemingly convincing gloom and doom predictions from well credentialed sources - always...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 06:46 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I dunno. But I think many of us just want to see the doggone correction happen to get it over with.

However, the market, as unpredictable as it is, just won't cooperate.

So, maybe it will just linger on, then crash instead. That would not surprise me either.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 06:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I dunno. But I think many of us just want to see the doggone correction happen to get it over with.

However, the market, as unpredictable as it is, just won't cooperate.

So, maybe it will just linger on, then crash instead. That would not surprise me either.
I have never seen a market quite like this before.It seems to be without rhyme or reason in what it does.I will take it as it comes,good or bad,I always have.

Old 06-30-2014, 07:07 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealizedPotential View Post
I have never seen a market quite like this before.It seems to be without rhyme or reason in what it does.I will take it as it comes,good or bad,I always have.
I guess it means that when it starts to make sense....
Old 06-30-2014, 07:16 PM   #9

It is good to climb the wall of worry.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:07 PM   #10
Dryer sheet aficionado

I was just discussing this with a friend of mine. I view this as a five year bull run. To me, we are out of the "honeymoon" period that typically follows a recession where you can be reasonably "certain" (if such a thing exists) of equity gains. Now we're more in the grey area where a correction or bull could take place at pretty much anytime. However, for me, it's all academic because I don't base any decisions on near term market movements. It's still fun to ponder the future, of course.
danwhite77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:17 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm much better at rebalancing after the fact than trying to predict what the stock market will do. I just stick to my target allocation. Plain vanilla, boring investing.
panacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:19 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
It's different this time...
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
It's different this time...
Just because I have not seen a market like this does not mean it has not happened before.The different this time beliefs is what usually gets one into trouble.If I have made myself clear you have probraly misunderstood what I have said.

Old 06-30-2014, 08:46 PM   #14

Quote:
I have never seen a market quite like this before.It seems to be without rhyme or reason in what it does.
I have seen the "no rhyme or reason" kind of market every day of my investing existence.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:54 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

My feeling is that the US market either goes up a bit more in the near future, or trades sideways. Of course there may be a correction any time, but I do not see any reason for a big crash. I have quite a bit of foreign equities, specifically developing countries, and they have not been doing well since 2011 until recently. These have been recovering.

So, I am staying put and will maintain my 70% equity AA until something happens to change my mind to reduce it.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 06-30-2014, 09:59 PM   #16

Besides the fact that the stock market is at all time highs, what is causing you (those who commented above) to think that a crash or correction is likely? Or is that the main reason?
walkinwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:13 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

I am usually a bargain hunter and I am losing interest in this market. I am sending all income surplus to cash.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:13 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
Besides the fact that the stock market is at all time highs, what is causing you (those who commented above) to think that a crash or correction is likely? Or is that the main reason?
It's just a human factor.

When there has been a long run, people tend to be edgy and want to book the gain. And selling tends to be contagious. Often at a party, nobody wants to be the first to leave, but when someone has set a precedent, that often opens the floodgates.

If the market pulls back for no obvious reasons, it's a correction that then corrects itself, and the market will regain its earlier value.

Old 07-01-2014, 06:46 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
While this market is a little "rich", there's far more "rhyme or reason" to it than 2000 in comparison...not that long ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (142.2 KB, 54 views)

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 07:13 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
Because a correction is always likely? It'll happen, just a matter of when.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote