Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-14-2020, 10:47 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Wow, you could get an amended form once per month. Until when, December?

In all seriousness, I now have all my REIT activity in retirement (IRA) accounts to help limit this kind of 1099 amendment madness.
We had a corrected 1099 in August one year! We did not bother to file an amended return as I estimated that we would end up owing about $5 in additional tax, and the IRS has never inquired about it. If they do, we'll pay up, but I figure they have bigger fish to fry.

The really late correction was on REM, which we no longer own. Currently we're waiting on corrections for VNQ, but they usually come out in late Feb or early Mar.

cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2020, 10:21 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My experience with E*Trade was that as long as they amended them, the IRS was OK, even in late April past filing deadline.

Now, I'm no longer an E*Trade customer precisely because of excessive 1099 amendments (3 in one year one time). I'm sure I'm not alone. A person having to file amended taxes because of brokerage screw ups is not a good way to keep that person as a customer.

They're going to wait to get it right. I've never had an amended 1099 from Vanguard.
Been with E*Trade since 2006. I don't recall this being a big problem, and as far as I can find with a search, 2015 was the only year I got a corrected 1099 from them.

Maybe depends on what the underlying investments are? Maybe E*Trade got bad info from the investments themselves?

(ETA - cross posted with a later reply):
Quote:
"I remembered the fund that E*Trade had issues with. "Permanent Portfolio". (No, I do not have it anymore.)"
Well, that was likely the issue, not E*Trade. Not having it anymore was likely the solution, not moving from E*Trade.

-ERD50

ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 11:14 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Well, that was likely the issue, not E*Trade. Not having it anymore was likely the solution, not moving from E*Trade.
Mostly agree, however, E*Trade seemed to chronically slow on communications to me, and perhaps with the PP people. It just went on so slowly.

But that was then. Before they had good email and texting, etc. Hopefully things have improved a lot.

I don't want to completely bash E*Trade. Let me end with a positive spin. They were waaaaay ahead of the curve on security. I got an RSA code pendant way back around 2000. AFAIK, you can still simply request one and they send it to you for no charge. It is solid 2FA.
Old 02-15-2020, 11:55 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
My FIDO 1099R has been delayed to 15 Feb. They say it's because of my international index fund. Whatever that means.
I got mine at 1 minute past midnight today. The 15th of February.
Ask me how I know. https://www.early-retirement.org/for...ml#post2368131
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 01:53 PM   #45

My Fidelity forms were available this morning.
ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 03:03 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

My (snake-bit) friend's Fido 1099 form became available today, after it got delayed for 3 weeks. I can now do his taxes.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 03:22 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by londo View Post
eTrade says to expect them on Feb 18th. I suspect that's because it's the first business day after the 14th this year. 15th is a Saturday and Monday 17th is Presidents' Day.
Given that mine have not showed up yet (online), I suspect this is the most likely case - 2/18, first business day after the 14th. Just a bit irritating given that the home page on RJ's site says they'll be ready on the 15th. I guess they didn't have anyone capable of looking at the calendar when they programmed the web page.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:36 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

My brokerage form showed up on ETrade yesterday.
lucky penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 12:55 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Just got an email from Vanguard that my 1099B is now available for my brokerage account.
Splash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 05:57 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Different source of a 1099, any ideas.

I'm trying to do my Mother's taxes which are very simple but she cashed in a $10,000 Savings Bond bought in the early 90s for $5,000 and got around $18,500 back. Was told that a 1099 would be sent. I assume it is the government that has to issue it but so far I have not seen anything.

Is there a process for requesting a replacement if it doesn't show up soon?
Jeb-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 06:27 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeb-NY View Post
Different source of a 1099, any ideas.

I'm trying to do my Mother's taxes which are very simple but she cashed in a $10,000 Savings Bond bought in the early 90s for $5,000 and got around $18,500 back. Was told that a 1099 would be sent. I assume it is the government that has to issue it but so far I have not seen anything.

Is there a process for requesting a replacement if it doesn't show up soon?
According to the Treasury Direct website, the 1099-INT form is provided on TD's website the following January if the bond was cashed through them (I think they don't send paper forms anymore). If it was cashed at a bank, the bank provides the form:

"The financial institution where you cash the bond provides the form. The bank may give you the form immediately or mail it later—possibly not until after the end of the year in which you cash the bond."

https://www.treasurydirect.gov/indiv...s_eeredeem.htm
Old 02-18-2020, 07:28 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks, I had looked for that online and didn't find it. She cashed it at a bank I will contact them.
Jeb-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 07:45 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Given that mine have not showed up yet (online), I suspect this is the most likely case - 2/18, first business day after the 14th. Just a bit irritating given that the home page on RJ's site says they'll be ready on the 15th. I guess they didn't have anyone capable of looking at the calendar when they programmed the web page.
Well, I have to admit carelessness. Apparently I had the 1099R all along. Received in January. The statement was several pages and on the first page it had a line with 1099R for a heading but no detail. Just the withdrawal. Scanning through the next couple pages (this is a PDF), I get to those pages with small print and stopped reading. The actual 1099R was after those pages. My fault.

Oh well, I have them entered and I think I'm all set with my taxes. Now to do a review to make sure everything is good and get them completed.
Old 02-19-2020, 01:30 PM   #54
Full time employment: Posting here.

IMHO. IRS should extend the April 15th deadline. Agree. 2/15. Way to long to wait.

Especially, for if you use a professional tax preparer.
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 06:53 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Well, I have to admit carelessness. Apparently I had the 1099R all along. Received in January. The statement was several pages and on the first page it had a line with 1099R for a heading but no detail. Just the withdrawal. Scanning through the next couple pages (this is a PDF), I get to those pages with small print and stopped reading. The actual 1099R was after those pages. My fault.

Oh well, I have them entered and I think I'm all set with my taxes. Now to do a review to make sure everything is good and get them completed.
Speaking of bad 1099s... Anybody who deals with Treasury Direct knows just how bad a 1099 can be. If you have a Treasury Direct account, go through it carefully. It can be a real mess to follow. Some products (TIPS, for example) throw some oddball sections on the 1099 and TD does not make it easy to find them.
Old 02-20-2020, 08:16 AM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Speaking of bad 1099s... Anybody who deals with Treasury Direct knows just how bad a 1099 can be. If you have a Treasury Direct account, go through it carefully. It can be a real mess to follow. Some products (TIPS, for example) throw some oddball sections on the 1099 and TD does not make it easy to find them.
Totally agree! The layout of their 1099s is unconventional, to say the least. And since you can't import the info on Turbotax, you're on your own in trying to figure out the "oddball" stuff.
Old 02-20-2020, 12:53 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by homestead View Post
We got all our 1099's from vanguard a week ago and we converted both accounts to brokerage. Didn't complicate our taxes.
The vg web site said that if your brokerage account is all mutual funds from vanguard it would be available 1/31, but with any other investments 2/15 and indeed it was notified as available the 16th in the morning for download.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 01:35 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER Eddie View Post
My Fidelity forms were available this morning.
My Fidelity 1099's were available that day as well. I was just glad that the 1099 could be imported. I was not looking forward to keying that manually.