Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-29-2020, 03:14 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When my mom passed in CA, I was already listed on her checking and savings accounts as a joint account holder; for the investment and retirement accounts, I was the sole beneficiary. These all passed outside of probate. So the only thing that went through probate was her house and one piano. So, if you're 100% sure that she has no other assets, then you may be okay without a will. The will did help me in filing her last taxes, and in claiming a death benefit from the state of CA. Just make sure nothing is overlooked! A simple will, though, is better than nothing if any unknown assets are found later. I used Nolo software's Willmaker software.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2020, 03:48 PM   #22

One thing we ran into an Dad's estate was an undisclosed checking account. One "helpful" B of A Vice President (account manager) opened an account for him with a few thousand. It was in Dad's personal name & not the trust. Dad was in the middle stages of Alzheimers. That took a bit to clear up because B of A was so unhelpful.

In your case the kicker would be no beneficiary designated. I'm not sure how you find a "secret" account though
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 04:20 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapr View Post
I'm not sure how you find a "secret" account though
Only way I can think of is to wait a while then check with the escheat offices in all of the states where the person lived.

See for example:

https://www.investopedia.com/ask/ans...d-property.asp
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 04:26 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
Only way I can think of is to wait a while then check with the escheat offices in all of the states where the person lived.

See for example:

https://www.investopedia.com/ask/ans...d-property.asp
Two ways, 1 look at the last tax return filed and see if banks are listed, and/or see if 1099s where kept, else wait until the next years 1099s arrive,
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 04:44 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Michigan has a statutory will. Fill in a few blanks, check some boxes and get two witnesses and you are done. I don't know if other states have something like this. http://bloomlawfirm.com/sites/blooml...utory-Will.pdf
RetMD21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 04:50 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
Two ways, 1 look at the last tax return filed and see if banks are listed, and/or see if 1099s where kept, else wait until the next years 1099s arrive,
Good thoughts, although checking accounts often don't send 1099's these days as interest is typically under $10 a year.

Going through the deceased person's mail and email and paper records might turn accounts up as well.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 07:17 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

A few years back I had a cousin, single with no children, who came down with terminal cancer. She asked me to be POA to handle her affairs. Her cancer got worse fast and before we knew it she wasn't able to handle her affairs and I stepped in. I got a call one night from a step sister who said she was going to contest my cousin's will because she "deserved it". I knew my cousin did not have a will. She was an only child and told me she wanted everything to go to her mother (her dad had died earlier).

I contacted my own attorney while she was on her death bed and told him about the situation and possible trouble with the step sister. I asked if my cousin should get a will.

The legal advise I was given was that my cousin would be better off to pass without a will, intestate, since it would be very, very difficult for the mean step sister to contest it. Turns out the attorney was right, the contest failed to get started and everything passed to my cousin's mother just like she wanted. This is just an example of a person being better off without a will. I think it is rare, but it can happen.
Stormy Kromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 04:11 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
.... Beneficiary designations trump a will or the lack of a will. I have a friend who way back in the 1970's was made $50,000 richer because her very soon-to-be ex-husband did not bother to change his beneficiary designation. $50,000 then is about $250,000 today. Not exactly chump change.
+1 A good friend of mine finally figured out that his low-life gold digger wife was cheating on him and he divorced her. She marries another guy. Second marriage for both of them.

Gold digger's new husband dies unexpectedly. He had never changed the beneficiary of his life insurance policy so his ex gets the death benefit rather than the gold digger. Sweet justice!

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...target 65/35/0 AA TBD
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 06:27 AM   #29

My late husband had a will and I never bothered having it probated. He was 15 years older and had chronic health issues, the house was in a trust in my name (with liberal provisions to take care of him if I predeceased him), all the investments were in my name (he wanted it that way- I like investing, he thought it was a chore). He had a checking account at B of A with under $300 in it and just before he died we moved the titles to our 2 cars from his name into mine. I was the beneficiary on his IRA.

B of A contacted me after he died (must have tapped into the SS death database) and after some minimal paperwork they gave me the balance in the account.

But, since others here have pointed out possible complications- maybe a simple, DIY will from Legal Zoom or Willmaker?
athena53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 06:37 AM   #30

If I were inclined NOT to do a will then I would check my state's Intestacy laws. This is the order of precedence on who (ie which family members) will legally inherit your assets that are not otherwise covered (ie joint ownership, beneficiary etc.).

If you have issues on who these default inheritors are, then you might want to have the will in place.

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:41 AM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

The big thing is to make sure the designations are current and what each policy is, some of them have to be re-verified yearly or they are not valid. I'd also have a printout confirming that.

A large bank told my mother she couldn't get access to my dads brokerage account as it had to go thru probate, she is like I'm a named beneficiary on the account, here is the death certificate. They claimed no beneficiaries were named, she brought in the paperwork proving she was indeed named, they still gave her grief, it was ridiculous and we had to escalate to corporate headquarters to get appropriate action. The bank manager was fired shortly after, I can only hope we contributed to that.
karen1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 08:02 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

As many have noted, it’s very important to keep beneficiaries up to date no matter what else. And often overlooked, self included? Even though the estate was simple ($ accounts, house, car, personal items), my parents had a full blown trust, etc. - made things incredibly easy for sister and I - their final gift to us...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 20% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 08:03 AM   #33

I live in Florida so I don't know what applies in other states. I have a will, a revocable trust, as well as have designated beneficiaries on CDs and other cash accounts. When concerned that I would exceed the maxium amount for FDIC coverage I was told by the bank that I could spread the money out with designated beneficiaries to cover the cash under FDIC as well as that money would go to the beneficiaries first regardless of the will or trust. Made me sleep better.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 09:02 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

These discussions are always head-scratchers for me. A will is such a simple thing and has the potential to prevent problems, I think the question is better stated as "Why should I not have a will?"

It seems to me a liitle like Pascal's wager: It posits that humans bet with their lives that God either exists or does not. Pascal argues that a rational person should live as though God exists and seek to believe in God, just in case He does exist. It seems that there is little cost to bet that a will is needed and to prepare one, but potential high cost to believe that one is not needed and be found to be wrong.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 09:20 AM   #35

It's expensive to go through probate in Illinois. Thus, we have a living trust. The tIRA has beneficiaries stated since it is not in the trust. So, if both of us die, all assets to directly to the trust. It was a PITA to set up but worth it for our beneficiaries. IMO, it is also worth it to hire an estate attorney.

Probate in Ill. include:

Court costs;
Legal fees;
Administrator/executor fees; and
Fees of other professionals.
Old 07-30-2020, 09:27 AM   #36

My parents both had a will-prepared by a lawyer. They also pre-arranged and prepaid their respective funeral costs w/ their wishes made known.

It was the last kind thing that they did. It made dealing with their deaths, the funeral, and the subsequent estate issues very straightforward.

We had our wills done ten years ago, and revised two years ago. We view it as a living document subject to change. No doubt we will be revising it another one or twice (hopefully).
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 10:05 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE866 View Post
no car.
has a small joint checking account with my brother. Forgot to mention that
If he is joint on the account then it becomes his when she dies. In fact, since he has signatory authority over the account, I wouldn't even both to notify the bank... he can just write a check for the balance to himself and that will be that.

Old 07-30-2020, 12:20 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
If he is joint on the account then it becomes his when she dies. In fact, since he has signatory authority over the account, I wouldn't even both to notify the bank... he can just write a check for the balance to himself and that will be that.
I like that idea!
RetMD21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 01:07 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Just keep in mind that the flip side is a joint owner can also do that while you're still alive.the other downside is if the joint owner does something stupid and gets sued and there's a legal judgment against them then that money could be used to satisfy the legal judgment. Not a panacea.

Is there a need for a Will?
Old 07-30-2020, 03:01 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Is there a need for a Will?

Here’s another reason to have a will.....

You are a very low income person with a net worth of $14.76. Everything you have is junk.

Your old school chum, Billionaire Bill, who you helped in your youth by teaching him about computers, dies on 9/4 leaving you $1,000,000 in appreciation of all you did for him in those early days. That million will be yours as soon as the executor can find you and write the check.

It’s now 9/10. On your way home from Bill’s funeral you plan on seeing a lawyer to have a will drawn up. You never make it. Alas, you fall down, hit your head on a granite statue of the town founder, and bleed out before the EMTs can arrive. DOA at the local hospital.

Who gets the million dollars Bill left you?