is there a way to contribute to 401K or IRA without a W2 ?

targatom2019

Recycles dryer sheets
I will be off company payroll after July 4th but and wondering if there is a way to contribute to Roth or 401K if I will not have a W-2. I have income from building rentals and maybe do some consultant work as needed for the company so I will also get a 1099.

Thanks

Tom

hopefully you maxed out your 401k deferrals, including catchup for 2019

You cannot do it with your rentals but you can contribute you 1099 income which goes on schedule c to an IRA or 401k. Fidelity does an easy solo 401k for this. Make sure your totals don’t exceed annual limits for self and employer

You cannot do it with your rentals but you can contribute you 1099 income which goes on schedule c to an IRA or 401k. Fidelity does an easy solo 401k for this. Make sure your totals don’t exceed annual limits for self and employer

+1

If you pay self employment tax (schedule C income), you are eligible to open a
solo 401K based on only that income. Opening a solo 401K is more involved than
an IRA and there are differences between the account templates offered at different
brokerages. When I researched and opened a solo 401K I found that Schwab was
the best major brokerage for it. Their plan details have a few more features and their
retirement plan customer service team seemed more on the ball.

if your rentals are reported as a business ( schedule C rather than schedule E ) then the income is self employment and you can contribute . It depends on the nature of the business. A flipper for example would report the income on schedule c and pay self employment tax. someone who owns one property and provides no services would report rental income on schedule E.

Too late for you now, but for the last several years of employment I front loaded the entire years 401k contribution into the first few months of the year. The employer plan allowed up to 80% of pay contributions, so I set January's contribution to as close to 80% as possible and still have $ in the paycheck to cover the health insurance, etc deductions.
That way if I got laid off mid-year (as eventually happened) I would still have the full years contribution and a lot lower taxable income for that year.

The year I did get laid off (may 31), I flexed the start of taxable unemployment compensation to start in December so that the bulk of it (capped by state law at a whopping $240/week) showed up on the following years much lower tax rate.

I already maxed out my Roth and 401k for 2019 year and will have a W-2 for the first 7 months of this year. It’s ok to max out Roth IRA around January 2020 since I will not have a W-2 for 2020 tax year.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom