Join Early Retirement Today

Is this how our economy really works?
Old 01-31-2008, 10:32 AM   #1
gone traveling

Is this how our economy really works?

For now, however, the Fed has obviously concluded (and we hope it’s right) that it’s more important to try to mitigate current conditions than to worry about hypothetical concerns. Economic growth in the fourth quarter of 2007 slowed to a barely perceptible 0.6 percent. Housing is already in a recession, and manufacturing is headed down. Foreclosures are rising. Lending is constrained. Consumers are pulling back in the face of job uncertainty and a reduced ability to borrow against their homes.

From todays NYTIMES editorial...

It seems that the only way our economy will expand is through people borrowing against their homes to buy stuff made in another country. How does that help the economy?

I have a feeling that the big shoe is going to drop in the equity markets and 10,000 dow will be a speed bump on the way way down ....
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2008, 11:06 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You're too pessimistic. People have to spend regardless of the economy, on things like food and gasoline and utility bills, etc.

The consumer has stepped up and done more than their share to get us back after 9/11. Meanwhile, the Fortune 1000 companies are sitting on hundreds of billions of cash on their balance sheets.

I think it's time for corporate America to step up and stimulate the economy..........

The Fed is dropping the cost of borrowing dramatically to invite businesses to do just that.

That's not to say there will not be ugliness ahead........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 11:09 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Wall Street climbs the wall of worry.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 11:20 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888 View Post
For now, however, the Fed has obviously concluded (and we hope it’s right) that it’s more important to try to mitigate current conditions than to worry about hypothetical concerns. Economic growth in the fourth quarter of 2007 slowed to a barely perceptible 0.6 percent. Housing is already in a recession, and manufacturing is headed down. Foreclosures are rising. Lending is constrained. Consumers are pulling back in the face of job uncertainty and a reduced ability to borrow against their homes.

It seems that the only way our economy will expand is through people borrowing against their homes to buy stuff made in another country. How does that help the economy?

I have a feeling that the big shoe is going to drop in the equity markets and 10,000 dow will be a speed bump on the way way down ....
I believe we're in for a big drop as well. Wilshire 5000 has had 5 positive years in a row, and I think we're overdue for a bear market. I look at that as a positive thing, because at that point I will be changing my stock allocation from 50% to 60%.
Retire Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 11:25 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire Soon View Post
I believe we're in for a big drop as well. Wilshire 5000 has had 5 positive years in a row, and I think we're overdue for a bear market. I look at that as a positive thing, because at that point I will be changing my stock allocation from 50% to 60%.

Oh boy, break out the party hats and firecrackers! A whole 60%!

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 11:32 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Oh boy, break out the party hats and firecrackers! A whole 60%!
I'm at 85% in equities, does that mean I'm screwed

Old 01-31-2008, 11:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888 View Post

even though i think the market is due for a bear market, the NY Times are idiots.

pretty much every company that makes stuff overseas has hired a lot of people here in the last 10 years. they just hire skilled people and not factory workers
al_bundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 11:47 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
You said it not me.
Retire Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 11:57 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire Soon View Post
You said it not me.
I wasbeing facetious, I haved time on my side..........

Besides, I've been 15% in bonds since 1999.........

Old 01-31-2008, 12:09 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

[quote=newguy888;609607]

"From todays NYTIMES editorial...

It seems that the only way our economy will expand is through people borrowing against their homes to buy stuff made in another country. How does that help the economy?"

What about new jobs and rise in incomes?
cashflo2u2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 12:28 PM   #11

>What about new jobs and rise in incomes?

What new jobs and what rise in income?
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 12:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquette View Post
>What about new jobs and rise in incomes?

What new jobs and what rise in income?
Incomes have risen quite well.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:32 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I knew somebody would post that cute reply. FYI, normally we have have always had, in the long run, a rising GDP number that creates new jobs and we have rising personal income at least equal to inflation rate. Recessions come and go FYI.
cashflo2u2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 12:33 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashflo2u2 View Post
I knew somebody would post that cute reply. FYI, normally we have have always had, in the long run, a rising GDP number that creates new jobs and we have rising personal income at least equal to inflation rate. Recessions come and go FYI.
Maybe we should factor in that US personal productivity has been SOARING in the past several years.......and shows no sign of regressing.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:38 PM   #15

I know for a fact I am much better off financially now than I was 10 years ago. So even after a tech crash,9/11 and this real estate fiasco. Clinton and Bush both were good to me
Old 01-31-2008, 12:44 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Yes, I also have trouble getting excited about impending bear markets. Bear markets happen. They are temporary. I just have to look back at how much higher my portfolio is compared to 2000. Makes the short term stuff look unimportant.

I'm just not worried about the US economy falling off a cliff never to recover. Yes, there might be some short term pain. We'll get through it.

Audrey
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 12:45 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashflo2u2 View Post
Sorry, I thought you had some specific resources for new jobs and rising incomes. I need a new job and a rising income!

edit: I'm a lot better off financially now as well. I was in college, living at home, and working for just a few dollars over minimum wage. I also didn't know beans about LYBM.
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 12:47 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
I know for a fact I am much better off financially now than I was 10 years ago. So even after a tech crash,9/11 and this real estate fiasco. Clinton and Bush both were good to me
I'm a lot better off too. Things could have been much worse. Let's see, in 1998 I was newly divorced, my net worth was negative, I had a soft money job that was projected to fold at any minute, my salary was only 42% of my present earnings, I had nothing in either retirement accounts or taxable, I had a total of $200 in the bank and the rent was due. Yep. Things are a LOT better, now.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 01:32 PM   #19

Quote:
Maybe we should factor in that US personal productivity has been SOARING in the past several years.......and shows no sign of regressing.

FD, I think you should check with your AARP retirement calculator.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 03:05 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I am at 90%..... and YES...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote