Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-15-2015, 07:33 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

I have had it a while, no glitches at all. I have used the 2% reward a few times and it is really easy, a couple clicks online and it is applied to your card balance, really easy.
Kimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2015, 08:32 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Well I was hoping Citi would switch me from a Platinum AAdvantage MC that I got a few months ago for the miles to the Double Cash but they can't switch between an AAdvantage and a regular Citi card.

Yes this is a problem for me too. I am considering having them switch me from AAdvantage to whatever random card they can then switch to Double Cash.

In the meantime it is Barclay Arrival MC all the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
truenorth418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 06:40 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My citi card is old and charges about $75/yr. within the year DH and I will be flying first class to Hawaii from PA and staying 2 weeks, not decided on which islands, probably Maui and Hawaii. We'll use our timeshare there. It's not a cheap vacation, it just is already paid for. We have the miles to book two tickets free. Yay!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 07:26 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
The people who play the game will just get the card for like the 50k miles they offer and then cancel before the annual fee becomes due. First year AF is usually waived for these offers.
American Airlines had a brief window in which they offered 75,000 miles for their Visa AND their Amex. Yeah, we got both. Both are gone now.
Back when I was traveling a lot for business, combining the miles/points from actual travel plus the credit card points got us some pretty good deals. Now that most points are a straight unction of what we spend, 2% cash back is a better deal.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 08:54 AM   #45
Dryer sheet wannabe

I have had the Citi Doublecash card since December. It works as advertized...1% on charges and 1% on payments. We use it for everything we can!
PRSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 10:14 AM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
It is very tempted to do the keep for 1 year trick. I had a trip in Feb and one next week. I was going to sign up until I read the fine print and you have to actually purchase the tickets with the card to get the free luggage... So next time I'm thinking of the trip I'll have to get one.
They say that, but in my experience their systems don't appear to be smart enough to distinguish between those that holds cards vs. those that actually used the cards for the flight. I've never paid for luggage, even when using another card. The clock may be ticking on this, but I'm happy for now.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:15 AM   #47

Sounds like a great deal. One question. Do they automatically credit your rewards to you after you have a certain balance OR do you periodically go online to redeem your rewards?
David1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 10:24 AM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post
Sounds like a great deal. One question. Do they automatically credit your rewards to you after you have a certain balance OR do you periodically go online to redeem your rewards?
If you are referring to the original post, no, what they do is offer you a choice, put towards your statement, mail you a check or deposit it into another account. This is from memory as I see the options but really just glance over them because I always just click the button that says apply to card. It is a very simple online process.
Kimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 10:30 AM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

I don't have the Citi Doublcash card, but I sure like the way my Amazon Visa card handles rewards. On Amazon, at checkout, the rewards balance is right there and can be applied.

Just now I noticed that I had $19 of rewards and so I bought a free $18 video game that I had my eye on. I love it! Who would have thought I'd ever be posting about credit card rewards.

If I didn't shop at Amazon so much, I could probably get them to send me a check but that wouldn't be nearly as much fun. My free video game is on its way!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 10:44 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

I got rejected for the Double Cash. Put in 0 for salary and $90k for other income.

I didn't unfreeze my credit.

They will mail me a letter with reasons I didn't get approved.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 10:47 AM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

I hate it when that happens. Life provides enough rejection without the CC companies adding to the heap.

I'm sure that you would get it immediately if you unfroze your credit so that they could see, but it may not be worth it to you.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 10:56 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Well I would have charged a couple of thousand on it. Oh well, maybe I try again later.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 12:10 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I'm sure that you would get it immediately if you unfroze your credit so that they could see, but it may not be worth it to you.
Usually (?) they will tell you which credit company they are using so that if you want to unfreeze it temporarily, you only have to unfreeze that one. Not all three. (same with folks like Social Security that use it for identity confirmation)
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 01:29 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I don't have the Citi Doublcash card, but I sure like the way my Amazon Visa card handles rewards. On Amazon, at checkout, the rewards balance is right there and can be applied.

Just now I noticed that I had $19 of rewards and so I bought a free $18 video game that I had my eye on. I love it! Who would have thought I'd ever be posting about credit card rewards.

If I didn't shop at Amazon so much, I could probably get them to send me a check but that wouldn't be nearly as much fun. My free video game is on its way!
I signed up for the Amazon card a couple of weeks ago and was told they would get back to me in 30 days. (Not quite the 60 seconds they advertised.) Yesterday I got a letter from their fraud division asking me to call and confirm it was me who asked for credit. I called and as soon as they confirmed it was me calling, they granted me credit and I got an instant $70 on an Amazon gift card on my account.

I have a United Frequent Flyer card also through Chase. I have had it for at least 25 years. Every time they charge me $60 to keep the card, I call and tell them to cancel the card. They always drop the charges and ask me to keep the card. I think now that I have the Amazon Chase card, I will drop the United card. I don't like having too many cards.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote