Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Is this (see below) partially a market timing thread?
Old 01-06-2019, 03:55 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Is this (see below) partially a market timing thread?

How is what knowledgeable CD and MM investors do different from what knowledgeable dividend stock investors do?

As I read the very popular Best CD & MM Rates Thread 2018 - 2019 thread, it appears to me that timing and predicting play a significant role in an investor's decision as how do handle this part of one's portfolio.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2019, 04:35 PM   #2

Interest rates have the Fed at least saying which direction they want rates to go.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 06:59 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
How is what knowledgeable CD and MM investors do different from what knowledgeable dividend stock investors do?

Who says either of them are "knowledgeable"?

I have yet to see data to back up the strategy of investing in "dividend stocks", and a number of posters have tried.

I haven't followed the CD/MM thread, but the rates are transparent, and assuming within FDIC limits, the risk is the same. So that just seems like "shopping" to me. In a transparent, risk-equal environment, it makes sense to shop for the best deal, like with any commodity. If you get into time duration, then you are making some guesses on where rates are going. Probably not too different from stock picking, but with narrower bounds?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 07:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Who says either of them are "knowledgeable"?
-ERD50
RE: knowledgeable. Yeah, I couldn't find the right word. So, I tried to find a word that would at least be acceptable and not open for debate. Wrong again. I guess I should have known the word would cause problems because spell-checker couldn't help me the first two times I attempted to spell it.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:04 AM   #5

I would think dropping bonds for cash (CD,MM) or changing bonds to different durations than what was set in your plan (guilty!) Can be considered market timing.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post
I would think dropping bonds for cash (CD,MM) or changing bonds to different durations than what was set in your plan (guilty!) Can be considered market timing.
When it comes to buying CD's I tend to buy 6 month CD's via my brokerages. As one six month CD comes due, I just buy another one from a US bank that pays the best. If a MM were to pay more, however, I'd keep the money in the MM. As for equities, I've always been a market-timer. I don't have the discipline to follow a financial plan. I kind of tried, I failed.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post
Interest rates have the Fed at least saying which direction they want rates to go.
Yes, but if an investor acts on what the Fed says what it is thinking of doing, wouldn't that be blatant market-timing?
Old 01-07-2019, 01:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
Yes, but if an investor acts on what the Fed says what it is thinking of doing, wouldn't that be blatant market-timing?

The Fed (sloppily) controls interest rates.
It would be stupid not to at least factor that bias into decisions on when and what term CDs to buy.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote