Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-25-2017, 07:17 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I suggest caviar and vodka. Or Champagne for those favoring less alcohol.

Party hearty -
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2017, 07:33 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

20k on the dow... or up for the day?
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 10:50 PM   #43

Well, now that W2R has said it... I'm really glad I move some equities to bonds and re-balanced the 529's.
Old 01-25-2017, 11:12 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Must be an old insider joke eh?

Whenever the market gets high you all worry about the "crash"

I dunno. Me, I celebrate, I just made a lotta dough. When it goes down I'll lose some dough. Big deal, I'll worry about that when it happens.

Amazing.
Old 01-25-2017, 11:34 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Let me know when it gets to 30,000....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 06:02 AM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

Futures up again this morning - when will it end?!?!?!
Old 01-26-2017, 06:06 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREmenow View Post
don't jinx it!
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 06:47 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREmenow View Post
Apparently, later
exnavynuke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 04:08 PM   #49

Any prediction for Monday? I'd say down, down and down some more, but I've been wrong plenty of times in the past.
tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 06:45 PM   #50
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
Any prediction for Monday? I'd say down, down and down some more, but I've been wrong plenty of times in the past.
If you're hoping it'll drop since you're in the accumulation stage, it'll go up. It'll drop like a rock if you're hoping to retire now. That's Murphy's Third Law of Aspirations.
Old 01-28-2017, 07:49 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredGypsy View Post
If you're hoping it'll drop since you're in the accumulation stage, it'll go up. It'll drop like a rock if you're hoping to retire now. That's Murphy's Third Law of Aspirations.
I'm already FIRED, so it will drop then
tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 10:55 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Woo-hoo!!!!! I just peeked at the Dow and it was 20,055. But it doesn't count until it CLOSES over 20K.

Do you realize that when I posted that infamous thread, the Dow was just 14,088? And look at it now, a decade later. I'm so HAPPY.

Well, at least the short lived Woo-hoo!! was nice while it lasted.
Old 01-30-2017, 11:23 AM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Well, at least the short lived Woo-hoo!! was nice while it lasted.
Might be back tomorrow! Who knows.

Old 01-30-2017, 11:33 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I suppose you could try typing "!eehW" in a post and see if that works...
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 11:37 AM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
I suppose you could try typing "!eehW" in a post and see if that works...
I wish!
Old 01-30-2017, 11:58 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

I think she went short Friday.
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 01:08 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

True. Plus, since I've already rebalanced in early Jan, that makes me pretty much just a spectator the rest of the year anyway .
Old 02-03-2017, 09:38 PM   #58

I was getting close to the trigger point on buying more equity funds mid year in 2016, but now if the S&P keeps rising another 4%, I'll probably have to sell a little (if equities hit the 66% mark).
The action of international funds is the real actor, particularly Intl Small Cap and Latin America.
RobLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 10:47 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinDr View Post
Being fairly new here I've found it interesting to read older threads that span some significant timeframes. I've seen reference to this W2R post but had not seen it. Ya know, it almost gave me chills reading all these posts prior to the following meltdown! Kind of like watching a horror movie where you know the character is heading into some bad trouble and you want to stop them but can't! Stop, stop don't go in there, you're gonna die! I'm going to have to see the thread, if it exists, that spans mid 2008 to mid 2009. That's gotta be a doozy!

On a side note, I was just starting a new job in late Sept 2008 and was overseas when I saw the initial huge drop being televised via the BBC. Pretty much watched, stunned, seeing a whole lot of money evaporate the two weeks I was gone. Not sure I would have done much if in the US as I'm a long term investor, but it felt worse being overseas at the time. That was a tough next 6 months!
The top of the S&P on 10/31/2007 was 1565, and the bottom on 3/9/2009 was 677. That's a drop to 43% of the top, or a loss of 57%!

The market drop in 2009 was indeed scary, but somehow people forgot that just a few years earlier the tech stock and dotcom meltdown plus the effect of 9/11 was just as terrifying.

The S&P top of 1527 was reached on 3/23/2000. Its bottom on 10/9/2002 was 777. That's a drop to 51% of the top (loss of 49%).
Old 02-06-2017, 01:51 AM   #60

Market timing is always impossible, but I was starting to get scared about housing in '06 and more in '07 (I experienced the Southwest Savings and Loan crash in the 80's and Cali in the late 80's which had a lot to do with this and, more importantly, I was getting close to 50 with 90%+ in equities). So I scaled back the equity allocation through late '06 through mid '08, gradually while buying intermediate Treasury funds and TIP funds (and a few other bond funds).
An important lesson, since I think the peak of the loss was 25% at the nadir in March '09, but the rebound was substantial and almost unbelievably quick. Had the crash happened earlier, I would have been burned much more significantly given the earlier equity allocation.

I also was rebalancing into equities in late '08 and early '09 as the crash accelerated--and thinking I didn't know what the hell I was doing.

As a note, I also sold some of the equity gains in '11 and early '12, which scaled back the rocket boost back, although I kept largely within my targets established in '08. This is not to note my genius, more to indicate the wisdom of establishing an appropriate Asset Allocation and largely sticking to it. Had I not been approaching 50 in '06 (well 48), things might have gone very differently, but I was aware that 90% equities might not be very appropriate.
DW was also affected by the Enron crash in '01, which a year or two earlier at the time, I had wished I could have hedged the run up (she worked for Dynegy, not Enron). I had run as far as I could in other assets from energy, since so much of an increase was in Dynegy stock--and at that point, unfortunately, the company match was required to be in Dynegy stock. Allocating the rest of assets outside of energy helped a lot.

Just to illustrate a few market horrors. Despite that, we have emerged all right in the end. In fact, very well. So far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
The top of the S&P on 10/31/2007 was 1565, and the bottom on 3/9/2009 was 677. That's a drop to 43% of the top, or a loss of 57%!

The market drop in 2009 was indeed scary, but somehow people forgot that just a few years earlier the tech stock and dotcom meltdown plus the effect of 9/11 was just as terrifying.

The S&P top of 1527 was reached on 3/23/2000. Its bottom on 10/9/2002 was 777. That's a drop to 51% of the top (loss of 49%).
RobLJ is offline   Reply With Quote