Is You In or Is You Out

I hear where you are coming from. However, I would like to point out that comparing an active strategy based investment program to passive indexing in a very strong up-market gives too much credit to the indexing.

Ha

agreed. My main point is that active stock trading takes up much of my time, add a bit of compulsive market watching and I lose 10-15 hrs a week, minimum. Not sure of the specific mix of funds but I want to use the Ronco approach to investing. "Set it and Forget it", and really only rebalance and check performance periodically. A Target retirement fund sounds good for a core holding and will probably augment with several sector funds as well as my long term stock positions.

I'm about 75-78% stocks right now so I am sort of in. I do the typical slice n' dice stuff in my 401k and my Roth & Rollover money I choose stocks which lately have been bigger companies as I see the valuations as being the best in that space.

I make bigger bets on the ones I own in an attempt to move the portfolio balance upward faster (or it could always go the other way of course) and b/c I price the stock and not the market I generally ignore these dips. This last drop still didn't make most of what I would like to buy attractive.

I made a small investment in one new stock this past week and it was my first purchase since summer of '09 aside from my DCAing into the 401k each pay period. Biggest position has been PM but I will probably burn in hell for it :(

I'm about 75-78% stocks right now so I am sort of in. I do the typical slice n' dice stuff in my 401k and my Roth & Rollover money I choose stocks which lately have been bigger companies as I see the valuations as being the best in that space.

I make bigger bets on the ones I own in an attempt to move the portfolio balance upward faster (or it could always go the other way of course) and b/c I price the stock and not the market I generally ignore these dips. This last drop still didn't make most of what I would like to buy attractive.

I made a small investment in one new stock this past week and it was my first purchase since summer of '09 aside from my DCAing into the 401k each pay period. Biggest position has been PM but I will probably burn in hell for it :(

Tobacco has always been my biggest position. Right now PM is my main one also.

No matter how much everyone hates cigarette companies, they go right on coining money. Also, what would auto racing do for sponsorship without Camels and Skoal?

Ha

I'm in accumulation phase and love it, I'll spike my hair and love it all life is grand. Love.

I own PM too. I have always liked "sin stocks". I like to keep an eye on the VICEX fund to see what they are buying. >:D

If you are truly diversified these market actions will not bother you. Some of your assets are rising or at least not getting hammered. In times like these Harry Browne's 4 x 25 portfolio and the mutual fund PRPFX shine (or at least don't get slaughtered). DD

Tobacco has always been my biggest position. Right now PM is my main one also.

No matter how much everyone hates cigarette companies, they go right on coining money. Also, what would [-]auto racing [/-] government do for [-]sponsorship[/-] easy money without [-]Camels and Skoal[/-] their co-dependent?

Ha

Fixed it for ya :)

Fixed it for ya :)

Wish it were true that tobacco "paid for itself."
(I was thinking that was a corollary of your fix; if it wasn't, please disregard the quote/reference.)
Unfortunately, when one combines the history of enormous tobacco subsidies to farmers and the increased health care costs for the very long and messy end-of-life treatments for smokers, tobacco taxes probably do not match up, I'd bet.
Then again, smokers often die sooner than non-smokers, so they probably receive relatively less in Social Security and Medicare benefits than others, so who knows.

Would be interesting to see if this works out the way road costs do.
The Texas Dept of Transportation (big on highways) determined a few years ago that the gas tax needs to be raised to $2.22 / gallon (it is currently 38.4c/gal) for gas taxes and fees to cover Texas road costs. This means taxpayers in general are subsidizing road-users, especially the ones who drive a lot.

Reminds me a bit of how a downtown resident of a big city like Houston has historically paid over $20/month for phone service while a resident of a remote part of west Texas has paid only $4/month, even though the real cost of service was well under $10 for the big city downtown resident and over $1,000/month for the person living in sparse west Texas. (Yes, it does sound crazy, but if you don't believe it, check out the data in the Universal Service Fund cases at the Public Utility Commission.) (Of course, not that many folks take standalone local phone service any more, but the subsidies continue with the local plus long distance bundles - just not to the same extent.)

Now I will await someone pointing out the ways in which a heavy-driving, heavy-smoking, remote desert dweller subsidizes the rest of us ... :)

Gov't relies on tobacco for tax revenue

Tobacco companies rely on the govt for regulation making it difficult for new entrants to replace the incumbants

Point being both rely on each other just like auto racing needs tobacco for sponsorship and vice versa for tobacco & brand marketing

Nothing to do with health insurance and non-smokers subsidizing smokers and other public health costs associated with tobacco usage

Back
Top Bottom