Is your job killing you?

Yup. that's me. Only in the last year I was diagnosed with with Stress disorder related to work: Panic attack, anixety disoroder. Abusing booze to unwind myself at work. Lack motivation and energy to work out(I used to work out 6 days a week).

That's what I'm came to this forum. Going to try to retired within the next 5 years(40 years old currently). Only have $450k saved, but I can live a Frugal live style without a problem...just need to convice the wife. OBAMA care, here I COME!!!

by the way, had a co-worker in his early 40's died from a heart attack...

ALL 5 BABY!!!

"1. How often are you tired and lacking energy to go to work in the morning?
2. How often do you feel physically drained, as if your batteries were dead?
3. How often is your thinking process sluggish or your concentration impaired?
4. How often do you struggle to think over complex problems at work?
5. How often do you feel emotionally detached from coworkers or customers, and unable to respond to their needs?"

Since you brought up confounding variables, I decided to search for the original article using Google Scholar. It is a 27 page review article. I will read it later and I will share my critical appraisal with the forum.
As flaky as it it is, the Fortune article linked in the OP takes a lot of "artistic license" if they're referring to this 2005 paper (link below, it's all I could find). The authors acknowledge several limitations in their wrap up and suggest further study.
The results of this study should be interpreted with caution because of some limitations. First, as our findings were based on cross-sectional data, the temporal ordering of the association of burnout, depression, and anxiety with CRP and fibrinogen concentrations cannot be definitively established.

This could get interesting here, different results for men vs women...
Following the demonstrated association of employee burnout or vital exhaustion with several risk factors for cardiovascular disease (CVD) and CVD risk, the authors investigated the possibility that one of the mechanisms linking burnout with CVD morbidity is microinflammation, gauged in this study by high-sensitivity C-reactive protein (hs-CRP) and fibrinogen concentrations. Their sample included 630 women and 933 men, all apparently healthy, who underwent periodic health examinations. The authors controlled for possible confounders including 2 other negative affective states: depression and anxiety.
  • In women, burnout was positively associated with hs-CRP and fibrinogen concentrations, and anxiety was negatively associated with them.
  • In men, depression was positively associated with hs-CRP and fibrinogen concentrations, but not with burnout or anxiety.
  • Thus, burnout, depression, and anxiety are differentially associated with microinflammation biomarkers, dependent on gender.
http://www.apa.org/pubs/journals/releases/ocp-104344.pdf

You can find something on the internet to support almost any POV...

Last edited:
Although I thoroughly enjoyed the work itself the peripheral issues were driving me nuts. Bureaucracy and insane traffic in the DC area chief among them.

I'm much better now though.

Yes I feel burnt out. My BP must be up too. Did you notice that most of my posts tend to be written between 1 and 4 am ? Can't sleep well, even with meds and exercise.

Obstetrics = standing by (from the Latin), waiting for babies.......who have absolutely no respect for the wee hours! It's a killer.

As flaky as it it is, the Fortune article linked in the OP takes a lot of "artistic license" if they're referring to this 2005 paper (link below, it's all I could find). The authors acknowledge several limitations in their wrap up and suggest further study.

This could get interesting here, different results for men vs women...http://www.apa.org/pubs/journals/releases/ocp-104344.pdf

You can find something on the internet to support almost any POV...

Yes, that was the article I found first, but here is one of Sharon Toker's most recent papers from 2012, which I think is the one on which the Fortune article was based:

http://library.tasmc.org.il/Staff_Publications/publications 2012/toker.pdf

She looks pretty perky herself, and productive too!

Sharon Toker - Google Scholar Citations

Last edited:
Yes, that was the article I found first, but here is one of Sharon Toker's most recent papers from 2012, which I think is the one on which the Fortune article was based:

http://library.tasmc.org.il/Staff_Publications/publications%202012/toker.pdf

She looks pretty perky herself, and productive too!

Sharon Toker - Google Scholar Citations
Thanks, I was wondering why I couldn't find the 93 new cases in the original article. It appears this is an extension of the 2005 work, and yet she is still recommending "further study." And I wonder why they seemingly dropped the striking differences between men and women in the 2012 article, but more than enough for me on this thread...job burnout is bad, but making the case independent of all the other CHD factors seems difficult at best.

Last edited:
Thanks, I was wondering why I couldn't find the 93 new cases in the original article. It appears this is an extension of the 2005 work, and yet she is still recommending "further study." And I wonder why they seemingly dropped the striking differences between men and women in the 2012 article, but more than enough for me on this thread...job burnout is bad, but making the case independent of all the other CHD factors seems difficult at best.

All research stimulates more questions, hence it is very common to see a plea for more studies at the end. This, of course, is the prelude to writing the next funding application.

Yeah, my job was killing me. It was the constant stress of ever higher demands with ever fewer resources, most of which demands were unreasonable at best. The biggest killer was one person in the hierarchy whose ethics and integrity I found to be lacking, and whose demeanor was totally devoid of humanity. It drove my reasonably good blood pressure up to 168/110 (with spikes as high as 198/125), I was clenching my teeth constantly...so much so that my jaw always hurt. Doc put me on meds to bring it down. Four months later I retired. A month and a half in to retirement, I halved my dosage. Another month later (about 3 weeks ago) I went off the med. This morning's BP was 108/68, with a RHR of 48.

Yes, the job was killing me. I had "one more year" syndrome for a long time, and I have no doubt that if I had stuck around for "one more" this time, I would have significantly damaged my health, perhaps beyond repair.

R

+1 on that Rambler ... I decided that my health was much more important than a few more dollars in my investment funds... I am now down 85 pounds !! My blood pressure is excellent and all other numbers excellent too ! I agree one more year of what I was doing too, could very well have killed me.

Job stress

Now all we have to do is to convince the American Heart Association to help ban job stress like they did against smoking and obesity :LOL:

The other way my job hurt my health was the inability to eat properly at work. Lunch was a 30 minute rushed "chow-down' event with little time to prepare healthy food. Snack time was limited to a few minutes. Now that I am home for most meals, I eat far more fresh fruits and vegetables and much less prepared foods. I often have a small glass of red wine with lunch (for medicinal purposes only.) Snacks are veggies with things like freshly made avocado dip or hummus. I estimate my sugar and refined carbs consumption is down by at least 60%, and probably much more.

My guess is that health problems that are associated with work vary with dependency on the paycheck. I imagine those who work while FI probably suffer the least adverse health effects, while those who need sufficient raises and bonuses to cover their ever increasing obligations are probably most susceptible to job stress. I'd even guess that the typical FI worker has better health metrics than the typical early retiree, especially during stock market panics and political/economic turmoil because the FI worker has more diversified income, and because not all early retirees are there by choice. Maybe someone can add a sixth question "how much do you need the paycheck" to see if the rest of the survey answers change.

Yeah, my job was killing me. It was the constant stress of ever higher demands with ever fewer resources, most of which demands were unreasonable at best. The biggest killer was one person in the hierarchy whose ethics and integrity I found to be lacking, and whose demeanor was totally devoid of humanity...Yes, the job was killing me. I had "one more year" syndrome for a long time, and I have no doubt that if I had stuck around for "one more" this time, I would have significantly damaged my health, perhaps beyond repair.

R

Hmm...I must have been the one they hired to replace you. Sounds like an exact replica of the place I work at now. My OMY date is 12/14. Not sure I'll make it til then...

Absolutely, it's killing both of us, there is no doubt about that. Like a previous post, our date is now Dec'15. Not sure we'll make that, either. And as a heart disease survivor, I know for absolute certain, that job stress was a HUGE factor in my illness.

This sort of stressor can be addressed while working. Yes, even while raising a family. My shiftworking co-workers and I share tips on planning and organizing what we will bring to eat at our stations, since there IS no meal break. Sandwiches,yogurt, fruit and raw vegetables are easy to pack once you get the hang of it. Exercise has to become almost programmed, and some other leisure activity has to be given up in its place, but if you approach it in a positive way it can be managed. Emergencies will of course throw the best plans into a cocked hat, but that is why establishing eating, exercise, and billpaying habits is essential.
The other way my job hurt my health was the inability to eat properly at work. Lunch was a 30 minute rushed "chow-down' event with little time to prepare healthy food. Snack time was limited to a few minutes. Now that I am home for most meals, I eat far more fresh fruits and vegetables and much less prepared foods. I often have a small glass of red wine with lunch (for medicinal purposes only.) Snacks are veggies with things like freshly made avocado dip or hummus. I estimate my sugar and refined carbs consumption is down by at least 60%, and probably much more.

Absolutely, it's killing both of us, there is no doubt about that. Like a previous post, our date is now Dec'15. Not sure we'll make that, either. And as a heart disease survivor, I know for absolute certain, that job stress was a HUGE factor in my illness.

+1 another heart disease survivor. I can't prove it was job related, but I sure feel a lot better FIRE'd.:dance:

This sort of stressor can be addressed while working. Yes, even while raising a family. My shiftworking co-workers and I share tips on planning and organizing what we will bring to eat at our stations, since there IS no meal break. Sandwiches,yogurt, fruit and raw vegetables are easy to pack once you get the hang of it. Exercise has to become almost programmed, and some other leisure activity has to be given up in its place, but if you approach it in a positive way it can be managed. Emergencies will of course throw the best plans into a cocked hat, but that is why establishing eating, exercise, and billpaying habits is essential.

How is it legal for the employer not to provide a meal break? I work in a southern, employment-at-will state, for a private company, and even here we have mandated meal breaks.

It's a special regulation governing rotating shift work. We have a mandated 30-minute meal break for the regular work day, which is thus 8.5 hours long (the 30 minutes isn't paid). To work a straight 8 or 12 hour shift, the mandatory meal break is dispensed with. And the particular job I have does not permit me to leave my desk for longer than it takes to use the ladies' room.

Nevertheless, I manage to get exercise and eat healthy, as do many of my compatriots. It is a matter of choices and organization.

Amethyst

How is it legal for the employer not to provide a meal break? I work in a southern, employment-at-will state, for a private company, and even here we have mandated meal breaks.

My guess is that health problems that are associated with work vary with dependency on the paycheck. I imagine those who work while FI probably suffer the least adverse health effects, while those who need sufficient raises and bonuses to cover their ever increasing obligations are probably most susceptible to job stress. I'd even guess that the typical FI worker has better health metrics than the typical early retiree, especially during stock market panics and political/economic turmoil because the FI worker has more diversified income, and because not all early retirees are there by choice. Maybe someone can add a sixth question "how much do you need the paycheck" to see if the rest of the survey answers change.

I hope you are right! I had reached FI just before the market slide this summer. I was hoping to stick it out at my current company fo the next 12 months to get one more bonus, but the politics and questionable financial outlook of my company made me decide to leave. I was still feeling stress as I couldn't totally ignore the BS... So I took another job, and will stay at least 12 months there, perhaps another year if I really like the company. As others have said, I love my job; it's the surrounding BS that kills my enthusiasm...

It's a special regulation governing rotating shift work. We have a mandated 30-minute meal break for the regular work day, which is thus 8.5 hours long (the 30 minutes isn't paid). To work a straight 8 or 12 hour shift, the mandatory meal break is dispensed with. And the particular job I have does not permit me to leave my desk for longer than it takes to use the ladies' room.

Nevertheless, I manage to get exercise and eat healthy, as do many of my compatriots. It is a matter of choices and organization.

Amethyst

Wow - twelve hours without at least a short mandated break sounds inhumane to me. I am impressed with your ingenuity and focus on healthy habits even under those conditions.

Amethyst

My goodness, that does sound stressful, Amethyst! Are you an air traffic controller by any chance?

Amethyst

Yes my field of work is that way, too. Many technical and scientific jobs are like that.

Ha ha! Some of the urgency of the former, but without the godlike powers of the latter :LOL:.

I keep a set of 5-lb dumbbells at my station and have gotten pretty good at fitting bits of exercise into 10-minute intervals. Also, I wear a pedometer to count steps. A bathroom break can easily take 300-400 steps, and those steps add up. Sometimes I just get up and pace.

I wonder how sailors on a submarine deal with stress. How do they exercise in such a cramped space?

Amethyst

My goodness, that does sound stressful, Amethyst! Are you an air traffic controller by any chance?

Or an e-r.org moderator?

Walking was a big deal for me (still is), if you have the luxury to get away. Having those weights is a great idea.

Back
Top Bottom