issue with 2022 tax filing

ER_Hopeful

Recycles dryer sheets
kind of a long story...

DD filed her return incorrectly back in early 04/2023, claiming her own dependence. Then I filed our return (me and wife) and got rejected by IRS.

DD then filed an amended return on 4/15/2023 being claimed as a dependent by me. I filed an extension and waited until 10/23 to file my return electronically hoping their system would have cleared up, got rejected still.

I then mailed my IRS paper return mid 10/23 (did not mail my CA state return yet, I figured it might take some time for IRS to process my return properly), well it got lost in the mail, USPS tracking showed. Then I mailed it again in late 12/23 with UPS, it showed they got it a week later in early 01/24. I've been checking the refund status page, (where you enter your SSN, filing status, refund amount) but it still says info does not match their record. The dashboard says they're already processing paper returns received in 02/24.

questions:
1. what is my next step? should I call IRS to find out?
2. should I file my CA paper return even when my federal return is in limbo? I'm getting refund for both Fed and state.

It can take a long time to resolve the "child incorrectly filed as not a dependent" problem. It seems likely that your daughter's amended return is still in limbo, so your paper return is also in limbo regardless of the fact that returns received after yours are still in process.

I would go ahead and call the IRS, but be prepared to wait on hold since it's the middle of tax season. It is very likely that they'll tell you your return has been received but there is no estimate of when it will be processed, so you just have to keep waiting.

Yes, you should file your CA return.

I mistakenly did this to my parents when I started college. I/we ended up using a CPA friend's help to get it resolved, but as Cathy said, it takes a while. Past-year returns are lower priority, especially in the middle of tax filing season, and especially when everything is paper returns/amendments. Just requires patience & maybe a call to the IRS.

I'd generally say don't wait on the feds to file with CA ... worst case, if the IRS changes something significant, you can always amend with CA.

kind of a long story...

DD filed her return incorrectly back in early 04/2023, claiming her own dependence. Then I filed our return (me and wife) and got rejected by IRS.

DD then filed an amended return on 4/15/2023 being claimed as a dependent by me. I filed an extension and waited until 10/23 to file my return electronically hoping their system would have cleared up, got rejected still.

I then mailed my IRS paper return mid 10/23 (did not mail my CA state return yet, I figured it might take some time for IRS to process my return properly), well it got lost in the mail, USPS tracking showed. Then I mailed it again in late 12/23 with UPS, it showed they got it a week later in early 01/24. I've been checking the refund status page, (where you enter your SSN, filing status, refund amount) but it still says info does not match their record. The dashboard says they're already processing paper returns received in 02/24.

questions:
1. what is my next step? should I call IRS to find out?
2. should I file my CA paper return even when my federal return is in limbo? I'm getting refund for both Fed and state.

Is there a number to call the IRS? i cant find one....

You can also access the IRS website (where you should also be able to find a phone number to call) and create an online account. Probably you could create one for you and your daughter. Once you have accounts, you can generate Transcripts for tax returns which shows you an abundance of data and status information. I review mine every few months to see things. I recommend everyone do that. It doesn't always tell you everything you want to know, but it's the place I always start.

haven't filed a CA paper return in years, are these info correct?

include Fed return with CA return (no need to sign Fed return, sign CA return)

do not staple the CA return or the Fed return
only staple W2 to front of CA return. (I only have a cope of W2 now, no original, is this okay?)

thanks,

For the CA paper return:
- only include the Federal return if it has a schedule or form other than 1040, Sched A and Sched B. If you do include it, include the entire return and do sign it.
- do staple your W-2s and any other forms that have CA withholding, such as W-2G, CA-593, etc, to the 540. Copies are fine.

Back
Top Bottom