Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-02-2007, 04:05 PM   #61
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webzter View Post
In other words, I'd be hard-pressed to believe that, holistically, rich people are necessarily better than normal people.
Argh, so close, but it's the converse we're pushing for.

*Likewise, is not hard to believe that holistically, wealthy people (who earned their wealth), are not necessarily less moral or less ethical.
Agreed?

That's the rejection of the OP. Not the follow-on "clarifications" (or correction however one looks at it), which seem to want to imply that if you are wealthy, you ruined the enivornment by doing so...a new topic perhaps..

-Mach
Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2007, 05:28 PM   #62
Full time employment: Posting here.

In that case, feel free to repost my story with the roles reversed.

To be honest, I'm really not sure what the point of the original post was.
Webzter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 08:08 AM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
A common fallacy is that higher paying jobs have more stress. IMHO there is more ego downside and more responsibility for decision-making. But the people that excell in those jobs can handle it better that the wage-earning who feels no control over things impacting him.

And they work longer because of it. The downside is that many of them do not attend to many aspects of their personal finances, instead believing that their earning power and stock options will provide for their retirement.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:40 AM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
And they work longer because of it. The downside is that many of them do not attend to many aspects of their personal finances, instead believing that their earning power and stock options will provide for their retirement.
The truth of that statement is staggering. Try telling a CFO of a publicly traded company he needs to diversify AWAY from his company stock..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 10:15 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Remember when Ross Perot was pushing for a flat tax, and told everyone he only paid a 2% marginal tax rate on something like $140 million in income?
I will call BS on this... a 2% MARGINAL

Maybe he paid only 2% of his income, but not marginal...

(just having some fun with you Dude)
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 10:20 AM   #66
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
You can free yourself of these issues- exactly the same way that Kahn did. It's called divorce. But often it's cheaper to deal with the issues some other way.

Ha
Ha, been there done that 12 years ago. I'd rather jump on Ginza knifes or go back to work. Retire early does not mean retire early at any price. Besides, she pulls in a nice salary and wants to keep working.

My point is wealth or enough wealth is a perception that is on a relative scale. If we compare our nest egg to the folks with $5M, it is not enough. But how about if we compare to the rest of the planet? People all over the world live happy and meaningfully on much less.
Energy use is a good way to measure consumption.
If we consume 6X the energy of the average person on earth and it is still not enough. Something is not right.
me_no_boss is offline   Reply With Quote