Join Early Retirement Today

It’s all our fault!!
Old 03-27-2023, 10:02 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

It’s all our fault!!

From London’s Daily Telegraph March 28

Early retirement has forced up inflation, says Andrew Bailey
Bank of England Governor warns that the shrinking workforce has pushed prices and interest rates higher
By
Eir Nolsøe
27 March 2023 • 9:21pm
andrew bailey
Andrew Bailey has blamed a wave of early retirement for forcing up interest rates and inflation as Britain battles the steepest price rises of any large rich country.

The Governor of the Bank of England said that a sharp decline in the number of people in the workforce was “part of the reason why we have had to raise Bank Rate by as much as we have”.

Blah blah … now I feel so terribly guilty.
Dd852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2023, 11:13 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

So much I would like to say about this, but it's probably best if I bite my tongue and pass.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 06:00 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It's more Alan's fault than our fault. I'm not responsible for what happens across the pond.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 06:15 AM   #4

Someone has to be the scapegoat. Alan and his ilk are ruining Britain.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 06:35 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post
Someone has to be the scapegoat. Alan and his ilk are ruining Britain.
And the media acts like their media relations team instead of independent journalists.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 06:35 AM   #6

Damned if we do, damned if we don't. In the past they were griping about people retiring too LATE. Staying in the workforce too long, and keeping those jobs from the young'uns. But then it's also your fault if you retire early?!

Oh, if you didn't have enough kids, it's also your fault, because that's contributing to the worker shortage today. Usually these blames are bandied about with Baby Boomers in mind. I'm sure that, thousands of years into the future, they'll STILL be finding ways to blame the Boomers on whatever the crisis dujour is.
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 06:46 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Say what? No "publishable" comment(s).
Old 03-28-2023, 06:52 AM   #8

I don't think I set Fed policy, or started Covid, or had Russia invade Ukraine.
Old 03-28-2023, 06:53 AM   #9
Administrator

A couple of weeks ago I saw a retired IT consultant being interviewed on TV about this. He was 52 when the Covid lockdown happened, and then no in-office working for a while after that, and after a few months of not working he said that he talked with his financial advisor and realized that he didn't need to go back to work. The interviewer asked him what incentives would entice him back and he told them nothing could get him back to his old job. He had tasted the good life and it was good.

I can relate. I had lots of offers to consult when I retired at 55 but no way was I going back to even part time work.
Old 03-28-2023, 08:03 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

So, it looks like the plan to cure America's ills by reuniting with England will have to be put on hold.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 08:48 AM   #11

If somebody has to be the scapegoat, I'll take the hit. Inflation is my fault. Okay, discussion over. Now on to a more important discussion. When should I take SS, or which Medicare plan should I sign up for? I'm just kidding on those questions.
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 09:11 AM   #12

They had to find something else to blame for high inflation besides covid-related "supply chain" issues, rather than the fed giving away free money for so long. That was getting old.

We are easy targets.
Toocold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 09:46 AM   #13

I just don't see that. Early retirees are a small portion of the population and many/most retirees spend less in retirement than when working (perhaps less likely with ER folks that planned and plotted and now spend more) and thus were not likely the economic drivers of spending on the demand side of inflation. Perhaps a slight impact on the supply side with labor participation being lowered a smidge but I still think the relatively few numbers of ER folks are not the primary drivers.
Old 03-28-2023, 09:47 AM   #14
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toocold View Post
They had to find something else to blame for high inflation besides covid-related "supply chain" issues, rather than the fed giving away free money for so long. That was getting old.

We are easy targets.
It’s not clear to me how Fed policy in the US led to high inflation in England.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
So, it looks like the plan to cure America's ills by reuniting with England will have to be put on hold.
It wouldn’t work anyway. The English weigh things in stones and buy things with pounds, while Americans weight things in pounds and get stoned. Too confusing ..
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 09:52 AM   #15

Retired seniors who carefully manage their spending and money is not inflationary. What IS inflationary is working your whole life, dying with a boatload of cash, and having the tax man and your benefactors blow it like there's no tomorrow.
dmpi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 10:17 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
The interviewer asked him what incentives would entice him back and he told them nothing could get him back to his old job. He had tasted the good life and it was good.

I can relate. I had lots of offers to consult when I retired at 55 but no way was I going back to even part time work.
I didn't get any substantial offers of work after stopping, but I can well relate to the reluctance to do any kind of remunerated work. I was a good employee - never, ever late to work, and I always made my deadlines. However, after experiencing what it was like not having to continually prove my worth to an employer, it was hard to contemplate voluntarily subjecting myself to that again. I was well known throughout the company and, in some ways, had carved out a niche for myself. Even after 16 years there, I still felt that I had to work to maintain my position, and the regard I enjoyed from others.

On the other hand, getting out of bed whenever I want to is priceless.

Major Tom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 11:25 AM   #17
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
Exactly!!

I had 30 years experience in a very technical field that had a high demand and several of my colleagues who had retired before me took on consulting jobs or projects as it was much lower stress, no performance reviews etc. But I was just glad to be completely free of any paid work, free of any time or date restrictions etc.
Old 03-28-2023, 11:33 AM   #18
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Exactly!!
But I was just glad to be completely free of any paid work, free of any time or date restrictions etc.
I think people who have not yet retired just don’t appreciate how important this is or how good it feels.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 11:39 AM   #19
Administrator

Yes, it is all my fault. And I am quite proud of the devastation I have wrought
Old 03-28-2023, 02:26 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
At this point I'm rather doubtful that they'd have us back anyway, and almost certainly feel that in losing the revolutionary war they in fact dodged a very large bullet.