Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-08-2009, 11:00 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
It might not save you a lot of money, but it could save you from starvation if things get bad enough...
Living on an island at least 2400 miles from the closest land mass, I'm occasionally concerned about "starvation". I think I read that the islands have less than a 7 day food supply. In the old days (just pre-state hood, I think) I've heard that the unions would routinely threaten to shut down all shipping which would have (literally) led to starvation at some point. Even within the last year, there was a minor threat of such an "embargo" though it passed quickly. Actually, not too worried about such an event, but a natural disaster or 9/11 style event could be a real problem. Having a 2 ft by 2 1/2 foot garden plot does not give much comfort! I do occasionally hear a pig down in the valley behind the house and I know we're surrounded by ocean but I don't have a pole, gun, or a license or any idea of how to fish or hunt locally. Maybe I'll stock up on rice and tuna - yeeech!

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2009, 02:30 AM   #42
Dryer sheet wannabe

Hello Koolau! Your life is wonderful!
sindy9001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 03:06 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
Hum, easier said than done. Of course if I had a "pension, and about 20 plus years of cash to supplement it" like you, I'd be pretty mellow too... Oh, and I thought that the whole purpose of this board was to learn/discuss/share how not to run out of money when you're 90.
Yes, you do have a point, but I've been down on my ass so many times but didn't let it bother me, each day I was able to eek out what I needed. If I had to down size, I did.

We all have some sort of safety net, some sort of way of eking it out. We don't know what the future is going to bring, we can all be wiped out, even those with very good cash positions. There is no guaranteed security, and this I have in the back of my mind.

The people who should worry some are those with families to take care of if they are older with kids. Younger ones can cut down and recoup.

It's all relative, there are all kinds on this board, we even have people with several millions of dollars in their mid 50's asking if it's safe to retire, it's all relative.

Jug
jug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:00 AM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am just hoping the raspberry bushes I planted last year survive the winter. See them for $5/qt at farm stands.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:28 AM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am having a lot of fun during this time....not really aware that there is a recession unless I turn on the tv. People here in central NJ are still shopping and eating out just like before. My standard of living was never that high anyway so it hasn't made much of a difference.
citrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:06 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryan View Post
I am just hoping the raspberry bushes I planted last year survive the winter. See them for $5/qt at farm stands.
Raspberries are the one thing that I have stuck with - easy, delicious, expensive in the store (and often moldy in a day or two), and the deer don't bother them. We have a patch along the garage, ~ 20' by 3' deep. A little weeding, maybe some watering, fertilize once a year, trim in the fall - that's it. We get a steady crop for 3-4 weeks. Excellent return on the effort, IMO.

I've tried planting s few fall varieties to extend the season further, but they haven't taken.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:58 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
The deer have no predators, and no one is allowed to hunt because there are other houses. There were 12 ravenous deer in the yard the other day, in broad daylight, right in front of the house, devouring our front plantings.
You said hunting was not allowed, but what about traps?
They are illegal in many places, but in some states you can get a deer trap permit from your state. Just make sure keep kids and pets out of it.
Another possibility is bow hunting - in many jurisdictions it's not considered a firearm so as long as you are on your property you could do it.
More expensive would be tranquilizer shots - would they also be not allowed where you live?
sailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:06 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I can't even save that. With the heat of a TX summer, the hit/miss rain, and the fact that the zoning laws state that I can't raise chickens in my backyard...well, I'm pretty much screwed.
A few mint juleps should take care of any worries.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:17 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

BUy LOTS of rice....it lasts a long time........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:33 AM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
BUy LOTS of rice....it lasts a long time........
Rice wine, that's the ticket.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 11:43 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Raspberries are the one thing that I have stuck with - easy, delicious, expensive in the store (and often moldy in a day or two), and the deer don't bother them. We have a patch along the garage, ~ 20' by 3' deep. A little weeding, maybe some watering, fertilize once a year, trim in the fall - that's it. We get a steady crop for 3-4 weeks. Excellent return on the effort, IMO.

I've tried planting s few fall varieties to extend the season further, but they haven't taken.

-ERD50
I have 4 blackberry plants and a full row of strawberries in the garden, here in hardiness Zone 5. Here is a link to a mail order nursery that specializes in winter hardy berry varieties, as well as other hardy fruits.
I got my plants from them 3 years ago and they are very happy campers.
see Welcome to MillerNurseries.com
Fresh berries are so wonderful. I forgot to cut back my blackberries last fall. Oops!
Old 03-10-2009, 02:50 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindy9001 View Post
Hello Koolau! Your life is wonderful!
Yeah, sindy. Thanks for reminding me! Guess I just have to complain about SOMETHING! "What-ifs?" will do if I can't find anything else.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:15 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

HOSTAGE TO DEER

1. Found someone at work who bow hunts, and he was almost drooling at the thought of so much free venison available for the taking. Turns out I had to get permission from all the neighbors, and one neighbor, who has kids who play outside, said no.

2. What's a deer trap? Do the deer go inside? What do you do with them after that? How do you keep kids and dogs out of the trap? Just wondering.

3. I am considering spending $130 for a "Phantom Deterrent," an outdoor electronic device that is supposed to make "mountain lion" sounds that supposedly scare off deer. Sounds faintly bogus, but I'm getting desperate.

4. I was very interested to learn that deer do not bother raspberry canes. I wonder if that would be true of "my" deer? They are even eating the barberry bushes that have long sharp thorns on them!
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 06:32 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
4. I was very interested to learn that deer do not bother raspberry canes. I wonder if that would be true of "my" deer? They are even eating the barberry bushes that have long sharp thorns on them!
Well the deer around here go after just about everything. They left our Hostas alone for years, then developed a taste for them too.

Tulips, deer food. But Iris, daffodils,(paper whites? I think they are just a variety of daffodil?) and crocus OK - something bitter they don't like. We planted a row of boxwood bushes a few years back, said to be deer "resistant", and so far, so good. Boxwood can have a kind of skunky smell from time to time, esp if you disturb the branches.

The deer seem to leave our herbs alone too - rosemary, oregano, parsley, thyme (sorry, no sage). But we bring those into the 3-season room for winter.

I even have a few tulips scattered in the raspberries, and those have a 50-50 chance.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:48 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

I was planning to fly across the country to go to a party that I really wanted to attend, but when I realized how much it would set me back I had to cancel. Feel bad about it, but I realy need to hang on my coin so I don't run my cash too short.

I have some holes in my jeans pockets where my knife rubs them. I think I will try to sew them up and keep the pants a while longer.

Ha
Old 03-10-2009, 10:15 PM   #56

Like Ha, I have been doing repair work/alterations to my clothes lately. I moved all the buttons on a coat lately to accommodate my horizontal growth. I love the result! It's like having a new coat for free.
GoodSense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 01:22 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
HOSTAGE TO DEER

1. Found someone at work who bow hunts, and he was almost drooling at the thought of so much free venison available for the taking. Turns out I had to get permission from all the neighbors, and one neighbor, who has kids who play outside, said no.

2. What's a deer trap? Do the deer go inside? What do you do with them after that? How do you keep kids and dogs out of the trap? Just wondering.

3. I am considering spending $130 for a "Phantom Deterrent," an outdoor electronic device that is supposed to make "mountain lion" sounds that supposedly scare off deer. Sounds faintly bogus, but I'm getting desperate.

When I used to live in "deer central", the local zoo sold mountain lion urine which was supposed to scare off the deer. One sniff and you could see why. Wow!

Old 03-11-2009, 10:23 AM   #58

Quote:
HOSTAGE TO DEER
2. What's a deer trap?
Typically either a snare or mechanical "jaws".

Do the deer go inside?
Yes, although not in the way you think. their leg (or neck) get stuck in the snare or in jaws. Than they frequently bleed to death, but it takes way longer than a mouse or a rat in a mouse trap.

What do you do with them after that?
eat & stuff ? look up deer processing services in your phone book
How do you keep kids and dogs out of the trap?
leashes and constant vigilance?

Just wondering.
Just answering.
sailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 01:49 PM   #59
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

I have some holes in my jeans pockets where my knife rubs them. I think I will try to sew them up and keep the pants a while longer.

Ha
I just catch those falling knives with my hands, Ha.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 01:52 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
...I have some holes in my jeans pockets where my knife rubs them. I think I will try to sew them up and keep the pants a while longer.
Ha
I hope you guys noticed that I didn't go anywhere near this one...