Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-06-2018, 07:25 AM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

That's interesting. My dad was a master electrician who specialized in high-voltage construction. His jobs came through his union, and when the union didn't have work, he got laid off. Conversely, when there was more work than local-union men to do it, he worked overtime...a LOT of OT.

When he got laid off, he went on unemployment till work picked back up. Mortgage and car payments were sacred, and were made before anything else. We ate leftovers mixed with other leftovers, took ketchup sandwiches to school, and Dad fixed stuff that had been going south around the house.

When he worked OT, we got new clothes, even new carpet and furniture (once).

It was just an expected thing, almost a cycle of life for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
My father was laid off when he was 49, and I remember him worrying endlessly about what to do. He and my stay-at-home mother had practiced LBYM so the family was not destitute; but it was a very stressful time for all of us, especially him.

This experience seared itself on my 18-year-old subconscious. Thereafter, I was always well aware that 'bad things can happen to good people'; that no employee has job security; and that it was necessary to prepare for possible job loss by saving, investing and building a nest egg. It was a major factor in reaching FIRE by my mid-40s.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2018, 09:17 AM   #82
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sounds more like a cycle of furloughs than a real layoff situation. I'm sure it had its stressors, but as you say it became almost routine ... the fact that it was only a matter of time until your dad was rehired again would have helped.

I don't mean to take anything away from him, though. Your family made sacrifices and your parents had their priorities right.
Old 11-06-2018, 12:05 PM   #83
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
When he got laid off, he went on unemployment till work picked back up. Mortgage and car payments were sacred, and were made before anything else. We ate leftovers mixed with other leftovers, took ketchup sandwiches to school, and Dad fixed stuff that had been going south around the house.

When he worked OT, we got new clothes, even new carpet and furniture (once).

It was just an expected thing, almost a cycle of life for us.

Ahh, cyclical employment...

I w*rked in tech engineering in a mature and downsizing industry, so I expected layoffs. I realized that a high savings rate would provide a financial buffer or "income smoothing". Basically, save during the good times in order to weather the bad times.

After DW and I saved enough over decades, I realized that that we could FIRE!
Old 11-07-2018, 01:22 AM   #84
Recycles dryer sheets

We humans are so fortunate that we can work and save in the early part of our life and consume it later.

Imagine if animals could do it, hunt during 50% of their lifetime and then consume their spoils for the remainder of the lifetime.
revhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 01:48 AM   #85
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by revhappy View Post
We humans are so fortunate that we can work and save in the early part of our life and consume it later.

Imagine if animals could do it, hunt during 50% of their lifetime and then consume their spoils for the remainder of the lifetime.
We can consume savings later in life only if the younger generation says we can and honors our economic system. Last time I looked, my FIRE portfolio contains only computer entries and the house I'm sitting in and the cars in the garage. We need the younger working folks to grow food, harvest timber, dig mines, drill wells, produce goods, provide services, etc., and accept computer entries in exchange. Otherwise, we can just dig into a tasty bowl of computer entries from our Vanguard, Schwab and Fido accounts for lunch!
Old 11-07-2018, 11:18 AM   #86
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
We can consume savings later in life only if the younger generation says we can and honors our economic system. Last time I looked, my FIRE portfolio contains only computer entries and the house I'm sitting in and the cars in the garage. We need the younger working folks to grow food, harvest timber, dig mines, drill wells, produce goods, provide services, etc., and accept computer entries in exchange. Otherwise, we can just dig into a tasty bowl of computer entries from our Vanguard, Schwab and Fido accounts for lunch!
So true. That is why I hedged with a garage full of Beanie Babies.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote