Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-24-2008, 08:18 AM   #101
Full time employment: Posting here.

VERY near me (1/2 mile), so my sphere of influence is probably small. Driving to work today, noticed the $3.96 is down to $3.92, maybe my gas savings will outweigh my USO loss if it comes down to that.
CitricAcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2008, 08:19 AM   #102
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

$4.21 is the lowest I've seen around here. Thats CA for ya.

It was pushing over $4.50 for regular and $5.10 for diesel just a few weeks ago.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 07:59 AM   #103
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitricAcid View Post
VERY near me (1/2 mile), so my sphere of influence is probably small. Driving to work today, noticed the $3.96 is down to $3.92, maybe my gas savings will outweigh my USO loss if it comes down to that.
Of course it will come down to that. You are no match for my ability to singlehandedly take down a stock by buying it.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 11:49 AM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Of course it will come down to that. You are no match for my ability to singlehandedly take down a stock by buying it.
Actually, I am a co-conspirator now.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:00 PM   #105
Moderator Emeritus

Regular is "down" to $4.27 today . I think Ziggy needs to franchise his sphere.
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 12:09 PM   #106
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Regular is "down" to $4.27 today . I think Ziggy needs to franchise his sphere.
BUY Ziggy, BUY!!!

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 12:57 PM   #107
Give me a forum ...

Last Sunday, filled up for $3.799 at Costco in east Plano, TX.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 02:04 PM   #108
Moderator Emeritus

Is it market timing if I fill my gas tank this weekend? I haven't needed gas since the second week in June, and I still have 1/3 tank left.

Regular was just $3.99 at my favorite Chevron last weekend. It's probably less by now. Hmm...

Sorry!! I'm being insufferable, I know. Just can't help myself.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 02:08 PM   #109
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Is it market timing if I fill my gas tank this weekend? I haven't needed gas since the second week in June, and I still have 1/3 tank left.

Regular was just $3.99 at my favorite Chevron last weekend. It's probably less by now. Hmm...

Sorry!! I'm being insufferable, I know. Just can't help myself.
Patience, maybe you'll see $3.70 by the time you're on fumes........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 03:52 PM   #110
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Patience, maybe you'll see $3.70 by the time you're on fumes........
Too late - - this afternoon I noticed it is down to $3.89, so I screeched to a halt and filled it up, dirty market timer that I am!!!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 05:17 PM   #111
Give me a forum ...

$4.15 today.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:31 PM   #112
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think we're up to 3.76 after seeing a high of 3.99 and a low of 3.69.
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 08:36 PM   #113

Wow, it's dropping fast now. $3.49 at one place - with a long line to get gas. $3.66 is pretty common price for many other places, but it's still easy to find $3.85.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:09 PM   #114
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I'm even steering tropical storms and hurricanes down into Mexico, apparently. Missing the platforms in the Gulf means lower oil.
Just make sure all the big ones go out to sea like last year. Would be good for my catastrophe reinsurers.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 10:21 PM   #115

Just paid about $7 a gallon (its sold in liters) for diesel fuel in Inuvik, Northwest Territories. No complaints, next gas station is 150 miles and the one after that is a further 230 miles down the road. Ah, supply & demand.
Old 07-27-2008, 05:18 PM   #116
Moderator Emeritus

$3.95-$3.99 regular in western suburbs of Chicago--25-cent drop overnight. Keep it coming, Ziggy
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 08:27 AM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers View Post
Just paid about $7 a gallon (its sold in liters) for diesel fuel in Inuvik, Northwest Territories. No complaints, next gas station is 150 miles and the one after that is a further 230 miles down the road. Ah, supply & demand.
I think I've seen you on that TV show - Ice Road Truckers. You're the one who's all grizzled, right?
soupcxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 08:39 AM   #118
Give me a forum ...

Oil down to less than $122, USO down below 98. I heard rumors they are going to start building a statue of me in our town square...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 08:51 AM   #119
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, I filled up at 4.02 a gallon yesterday. From a peak of a little over $4.50 a gallon just a few weeks ago, its falling fast.

I dont think its quite done yet either..

Good news is you can hang onto that USO until next summer when they jack it up to $5.25 a gallon just ahead of backing it down to 4.50, much to the relief of everyone concerned.

In the meanwhile, there'll be a nice opportunity between November and March where you could actually sell a large truck or SUV or buy a little econobox at a reasonable price.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:52 AM   #120

What powerful, persuasive powers ziggy has.

By the way, here's one thing I don't understand, but I feel that the commentators/journalists understand less:

When the price goes up, consumption goes down as alternatives and phasing out of it occurs in many minor changes adding up to an aggregate. In other words, quantity demanded is a product of price. Yet, then inventories go up because of a decrease in demand which causes the price to drop. Then, as prices drop quantity demanded goes up, ad infinitum.

In other words, inventories shouldn't have such an effect on the prices... the prices are what affect the inventories.