It's official we are all wrong about fire

Nords told me about this Orman meltdown. I must say it lived up to the billing.

I really laughed at her people are living to 95-100 now days. Which is of course BS, 2 million American are over the age of 90 mean 325 million aren't.
Not to mention live expectancy in the US is going down not up the last couple of years.

Last year my mom need 24-7 care for several months. We were spending $16-18K/month and while she had a million dollars, it admittedly would have gone quickly. We moved her to nice nursing home, and her expense dropped to just over $8K/month or $100K. Her medical expenses dropped her income tax to zero.

I also loved her crazy talk about how you need disability insurance, because somehow if you get injured, your portfolio income is going to be impacted.

After 18 year in FIREs, I'm finding my biggest issue is giving my money away intelligently and making sure my niece doesn't go crazy trying to unwind my investments.

@W2R I'll admit that there was a time, when I enjoyed the can I afford it segment. But honestly the women ego has grown to be so huge, I'm stunned she can squeeze through an airplane door.

Last edited:
She claimed she was spending $30,000 a MONTH! I can't help but wonder what palace her mother was staying in.

Yes I caught that as well; I think Suze was bragging a little and throwing in some fear to complete the spin :D

About 30 year olds "retiring" many quit their day job and try their hand at blogging and some are very successful at monetizing that new venture. So are they actually retired? (Just asking a rhetorical question, many opinions on that subject.)

About Suze's net worth dictums, many of us have become adept at managing our expenses, so yes, we can get by on amounts that would give Suze severe heartburn :)

IMHO society has simply shifted from a regimented, work 40 years at the factory, retire at 65 with a company pension to people being more entrepreneurial and working at many companies over their careers. FIRE is just one manifestation of the shift.

She claimed she was spending $30,000 a MONTH! I can't help but wonder what palace her mother was staying in.

Yes I caught that as well; I think Suze was bragging a little and throwing in some fear to complete the spin :D

Not a Suze fan here and, I agree she was using an extreme personal example to scare her audience. But, just want to point out that spending $30k/mo for full time care is probably less unusual than one might think...for folks with 8-9 figure wealth. And, it’s likely ‘in home’ care versus a “palace” SNF. Our neighbor is doing that now and has been for 2+ yrs. 24/7/365 in home care, two care givers almost all the time; that equates to ~$20/hr. And, that doesn’t even count the PT & other out-of-home visits. It adds up very quickly.

Not a Suze fan here and, I agree she was using an extreme personal example to scare her audience. But, just want to point out that spending $30k/mo for full time care is probably less unusual than one might think...for folks with 8-9 figure wealth. And, it’s likely ‘in home’ care versus a “palace” SNF. Our neighbor is doing that now and has been for 2+ yrs. 24/7/365 in home care, two care givers almost all the time; that equates to ~$20/hr. And, that doesn’t even count the PT & other out-of-home visits. It adds up very quickly.

I’m surprised it’s only $20/hr for SF area. It’s already $20/hr here. Minimum 4 hours.

Work until 70

Suze often preaches 70 being the minimum retirement age.

Ok , she is 67. I understand her previous employer of 7 years, the "Buttercup Bakery" is still in business and has a waitress opening. Let me see her do even a month waiting tables at 67.

Suze often preaches 70 being the minimum retirement age.

Ok , she is 67. I understand her previous employer of 7 years, the "Buttercup Bakery" is still in business and has a waitress opening. Let me see her do even a month waiting tables at 67.
I have never worked as a waitress. But honestly at my present age of 70, I don't think I could survive even a few days in that job. That looks like very hard work to me!

I have never worked as a waitress. But honestly at my present age of 70, I don't think I could survive even a few days in that job. That looks like very hard work to me!

Will sooner move to Mexico or LCOL in USA vs. ever working again especially in a minimum wage job. Just won't do it.

You all watch a lot of suze. Hurt her bad, stop watching and clicking.

Stop talking. Like she never existed.

Back
Top Bottom