I've had it...

I currently make $100,000 annually. I am a gov't employee with a pension. I've got 25.75 years in and am looking to complete 30. I'm SO sick of my job. At the beginning of my career I did something much more fun/entertaining/rewarding and I'm at the point of taking a $30k reduction in pay to go back to it. I know financially this doesn't make ANY sense, but I'm at a breaking point.

I have $535,000 saved in retirement accounts/savings. My pension will be approximately $68,000 per year (in 2027 @ 30 years). My annual spending is approximately $75,000 per year. I will continue, with my wife's help/work, to save $18,000 per year into retirement accounts. Our house is NOT paid off, and I have about 25 years left on the mortgage.

My wife will continue to work after I retire in 2027. She makes about $35k per year and LOVES her job. Yeah, I'm jealous! She will will continue to work to maintain insurance and keep money coming in, too. We are both 46 years old.

With all that said, I'm ready to throw in the towel to do the new job. Let me have it. Tell me the truth! Am I crazy, smart, inspiring, or just flat out something else?

Brian

I feel your pain. You need to de-Stress with your w#*k situation. Easier said than done, I know. You'll forego the 30 years if you go now, but is the difference of 3.5 years worth your sanity? I'd say try to eliminate the stress if you can for next year or so, hang in a couple more, pay the dang mortgage OFF, and go camping. Nothing like a great camp [emoji91] to let the peace settle into your soul, and appreciate your wife and what you already have worked so hard for. Peace.

I currently make $100,000 annually. I am a gov't employee with a pension. I've got 25.75 years in and am looking to complete 30. I'm SO sick of my job. At the beginning of my career I did something much more fun/entertaining/rewarding and I'm at the point of taking a $30k reduction in pay to go back to it. I know financially this doesn't make ANY sense, but I'm at a breaking point.

I have $535,000 saved in retirement accounts/savings. My pension will be approximately $68,000 per year (in 2027 @ 30 years). My annual spending is approximately $75,000 per year. I will continue, with my wife's help/work, to save $18,000 per year into retirement accounts. Our house is NOT paid off, and I have about 25 years left on the mortgage.

My wife will continue to work after I retire in 2027. She makes about $35k per year and LOVES her job. Yeah, I'm jealous! She will will continue to work to maintain insurance and keep money coming in, too. We are both 46 years old.

With all that said, I'm ready to throw in the towel to do the new job. Let me have it. Tell me the truth! Am I crazy, smart, inspiring, or just flat out something else?

Brian

What happens if you retire with 26-27 years on your sleeves instead of 30 years. Can you still get about $65,000/year ?
Can you aggressively pay down your mortgage ??

I recommend medical marijuana. Or maybe microdosing. Or both.

Is the lower paying job still like you remember it or has it changed negatively in the meantime?
Objects in the rear view mirror may appear nicer than they are...

Stay where you are at in the same position. Just dig in and do it. Don't look back. You can do if you did it this long!!!

OP, you need to re-evaluate, I was probably at a similar income as you when I retired. I did not realize that with a little planning I exceeded my income by 25%, and I did not even have to be employed. For me that was achieved by some strategic investing, in my case being SS + CDs.

You will be surprised how it adds up.

I did not go back through the whole thread but I do not remember if you answered a question...

What has caused your issue? IOW, you were good to go say a year ago... but now not... what changed in that time?

I did not go back through the whole thread but I do not remember if you answered a question...

What has caused your issue? IOW, you were good to go say a year ago... but now not... what changed in that time?

I've been "dealing" for the past several years and am ready for the change now. As I see it, it's get out all together, or step down into this new position which will hopefully be more fun/enjoyable.

Not crazy. Smart. Take the lower paying gig and hang on/out for 4 more years where you are. If it turns out to be a bad decision, you can always reassess.

I tend to agree. I'm at the point of dropping out of this field all together. I can always reassess, if needed.

I've been "dealing" for the past several years and am ready for the change now. As I see it, it's get out all together, or step down into this new position which will hopefully be more fun/enjoyable.

So will the new position allow you to NOT deal with anybody you have to deal with now that creates the problems? This was about 30 years ago but I knew someone who moved because of problem and the dept they moved into assigned them the dept they moved out of as their 'client' since they knew everybody... I think they did eventually complain and got assigned to help another dept. but if you cannot move far enough away it might not fix the problem...

Back
Top Bottom