Join Early Retirement Today

Jack Bogle: 'This is the most difficult time to invest'
Old 01-06-2011, 04:35 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Jack Bogle: 'This is the most difficult time to invest'

Jack's assessment of the situation.

Jack Bogle: 'This is the most difficult time to invest' - Dec. 31, 2010
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2011, 05:33 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Because his walker gets stuck in the snow.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:44 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
What's the survivor lifespan for heart-transplant patients?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:52 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Bogle: It's a bad period for this [dividend] philosophy. In 2008 we had one of the largest cuts in dividends in the history of the S&P 500. Now the dividends don't seem to be coming back, even though the earnings have.

What are the corporations trying to tell us? I don't know. Maybe they're trying to tell you that these earnings are phony, and we don't have money to pay you dividends.
I think it's just that companies no longer think they have to pay investors dividends for investors to buy their stocks. So they siphon cash over to whatever benefits management's pocketbook the most.

Oh - lowest interest rates in decades (forever?) is also part of it.....

Audrey
Old 01-06-2011, 06:53 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
What's the survivor lifespan for heart-transplant patients?
Bogle has made it 14 years and the record appears to be 31. If he breaks the record he'll have to make it to 99.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:40 PM   #6
Confused about dryer sheets

Forgive me for this first and probably single commentary, but:

Trombone Al:

"Because his walker gets stuck in the snow."

Nords:

"What's the survivor lifespan for heart-transplant patients?"

I'll assume neither of you have benefited from Jack Bogle's efforts, nor do you expect to experience personal medical issues or grow old.

Maybe I read your commentary wrong, but is this some sort of sadly perverted humor?

I've no crusade beyond this short rant, but I'm sure he gave and continues to give more intelligently and energetically to the average investor than either one of you or I likely ever will.

Sorry for the intrusion here.

wannabe
erwannebe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:50 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Hi erwannabe68,

Why not post an introduction in the "Hi, I am..." section? Then if you should feel inspired to post again, we would know a little bit about you.

If you have been reading the board for a while, then you probably know that Trombone Al and Nords are two of our oldest and most respected board members, and know very well who Bogle is as well as appreciate his contributions. They both have a very well developed sense of humor.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:55 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

An atrophied sense of humor is a sad thing to see...
Old 01-06-2011, 07:59 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

With all due respect to Mr Bogle (who has made a huge contribution to investors generally), I have been listening to people (some more respected than others) tell me that "now" is a difficult time to invest, that right now is the time to be cautious etc etc since I started investing in the 1980s. That said, I'd be a lot more worried if optimism became the universal investment thesis once again.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:55 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwannebe68 View Post
Maybe I read your commentary wrong, but is this some sort of sadly perverted humor?
I've no crusade beyond this short rant, but I'm sure he gave and continues to give more intelligently and energetically to the average investor than either one of you or I likely ever will.
wannabe
Are you saying that all of my humor is sadly perverted, or just this one instance? I've never been sure myself.

I was bringing to Al's attention that Bogle seems to be doing pretty well for a heart-transplant survivor, and perhaps the walker comment was more a commentary from Al's beaver than from Al himself. But I guess it's good that you posted your concerns publicly so that I could explain our cryptic shorthand.

Since you don't know me very well, and don't know what I do for the people I care about, I'll pass right by that "Saint Jack" shot.

If this is the most important topic you could find on this board worthy of your first post then you might want to consider what other intelligent and energetic contributions you could make to the rest of us average investors, too.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:26 PM   #11

Good interview. It looks like in the second-to-last question, "You didn't mention international funds," the first part of his answer got bolded and appears as part of the question.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:38 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Where does he live? Why would anyone with his $ live where ice and snow exist outside of a refrigerator?
Old 01-07-2011, 06:01 AM   #13

Stay the course. Just have lowered expectations
foxfirev5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:35 AM   #14

Thank you for posting, that was an interesting article/interview. We certainly are living through interesting times.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:48 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfirev5 View Post
Stay the course. Just have lowered expectations
+1

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:00 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

What would one expect an octagenarian to say? Heck, everyone I know born during the Depression thinks another one is just around the corner, and they have been saying that forever..............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:16 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
What would one expect an octagenarian to say? Heck, everyone I know born during the Depression thinks another one is just around the corner, and they have been saying that forever..............
And, lo and behold, everytime we turn a corner...
RonBoyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:28 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwannebe68 View Post
Forgive me for this first and probably single commentary, but:

Trombone Al:

"Because his walker gets stuck in the snow."

Nords:

"What's the survivor lifespan for heart-transplant patients?"

I'll assume neither of you have benefited from Jack Bogle's efforts, nor do you expect to experience personal medical issues or grow old.

wannabe
I didn't 'get' the comments either, if that is any solace (and I'm not saying it should be). I didn't take it as some perverse humor, but OTOH, I couldn't rule it out either. I still don't get it, even after the responses. It's OK, I'll find something else to laugh about, I do have a sense of humor. In fact, I usually find REWahoo and TromboneAl to be hilarious.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:58 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

First thing I notice is that Lady GaGa has a Polaroid line. Maybe Jack glanced to his left, saw this factoid, and became disoriented. I believe he lives outside of Philadelphia. So, snow and ice to be expected. If you call him John, it proves you are not a boglehead.

It would be better investment of time to read one of his books. In that article I don't think his philosophy comes across very well.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:04 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I didn't 'get' the comments either, if that is any solace (and I'm not saying it should be). I didn't take it as some perverse humor, but OTOH, I couldn't rule it out either. I still don't get it, even after the responses. It's OK, I'll find something else to laugh about, I do have a sense of humor. In fact, I usually find REWahoo and TromboneAl to be hilarious.

-ERD50

The reason REWahoo is funny is the Texas sun has baked his head....

Can not comment on TAl... maybe it is all that blowing
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote