Join Early Retirement Today

Jack Bogle's dour forecast
Old 12-05-2018, 10:24 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Jack Bogle's dour forecast

https://www.financial-planning.com/o...d-bond-returns

Not good for me.
broadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2018, 10:30 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think he's been saying this for quite awhile now. Not sure why an audience of Bogleheads would be surprised. I bet not many on these boards will be.....

Bogleheads attending his annual conference in October were taken aback when Bogle predicted that stock and bonds returns would be significantly lower than historic benchmarks returns. Over the next decade, stocks will return an average of 4% annually while bonds will earn 3.5% annually, he forecast. Both predictions are significantly lower than historic returns since 1974 of 11.7% for stocks and 8% for bonds.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:40 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
I think he's been saying this for quite awhile now. Not sure why an audience of Bogleheads would be surprised. I bet not many on these boards will be.....

Bogleheads attending his annual conference in October were taken aback when Bogle predicted that stock and bonds returns would be significantly lower than historic benchmarks returns. Over the next decade, stocks will return an average of 4% annually while bonds will earn 3.5% annually, he forecast. Both predictions are significantly lower than historical returns since 1974 of 11.7% for stocks and 8% for bonds.
How could expected returns be anything other than lower than before if price increases are outpacing value increases? No matter what we are told, there is such a thing as an economic value to a business enterprise. Though this value can vary with enterprise and with time, it does not just add 10% pa to wherever you happen to start.

Ha
Old 12-05-2018, 10:41 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

In a nutshell, 4% stock returns, 3.5% bond returns over the next decade.

Stock return calculated using 2% dividend yield + 4% earning growth - 2% speculative return (ie. change in p/e)

Short article - worth a read, but I don't agree with all the "implications" mentioned. Yet one more call for the death of the 4% SWR.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 10:48 AM   #5

This is an argument against whole-market indexing. If Mister Market as a whole is going to return only 4% annually over the next decade, surely certain sectors will do better.
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 10:56 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
This is an argument against whole-market indexing. If Mister Market as a whole is going to return only 4% annually over the next decade, surely certain sectors will do better.
Absolutely true. But ...

What if 4% is not the number?

How will you know ahead of time which sectors will be winners? AFIK no one has yet perfected this art. That is why the stock pickers fare so poorly against their benchmarks. There is zero statistical data and zero academic research to support the myth that stock picking works.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 11:08 AM   #7

Just curious, anyone look back at his prior predictions and compare against what actually occured? It's easy to predict anything, being consistently right is that hard part. [emoji3]
bobandsherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 11:14 AM   #8

Not getting political, but I think Washington has a lot to do with this prediction. There is fear even though we are economically solid.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 11:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
Surely you are right...now if we just knew which ones, and what timing....or had a financial advisor or broker who consistently beat the market.

My last company kept buying companies in different sectors (like oil & gas, pharmaceuticals)...they usually bought late in the cycle after comleting the due diligence, then the value tanked, then they sold at a loss.

Let's buy some oil futures...I remember a few years back, airlines were buying av gas ahead of time...some airlines got burned badly, and some made out like bandits!
HI Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 11:28 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
Not getting political, but I think Washington has a lot to do with this prediction. There is fear even though we are economically solid.
Washington has nothing to do with Bogle's forecast - it is simple math. The 10 year yield for bonds, current dividend yield plus earnings growth minus P/E contraction for stocks.

The last two elements are Bogle's forecasts, but his numbers are within historical norms.

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
USGrant1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 11:38 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Well he is predicting these returns just for one decade, not a 30-40 yr period. Are the stock returns drastically different from what we saw from 2000-2010?
Are there any historical patterns in Firecalc which could be mapped out to this type of prediction for survival results?
Old 12-05-2018, 11:40 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

IF I get a 4% return on equities and a 3.5% return on bonds WITH 2% inflation. I would be very happy. Inflation is the silent killer.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 12:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
IF I get a 4% return on equities and a 3.5% return on bonds WITH 2% inflation. I would be very happy. Inflation is the silent killer.
Me too! Any positive real return each year over the next 10.

I see people saying hyperinflation couldn't happen here, but five years of 20% inflation would be enough to send me to Home Depot looking for work.
GravitySucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 12:16 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by USGrant1962 View Post
Washington has nothing to do with Bogle's forecast - it is simple math. The 10 year yield for bonds, current dividend yield plus earnings growth minus P/E contraction for stocks.

The last two elements are Bogle's forecasts, but his numbers are within historical norms.
That's what I take from it as well.

And I'm fine with 4% for the next decade. Anyone with a conservative WR should be fine, even if inflation means they dip into their principal a bit.

If you retired ~ 15 years ago, with a 70/30 AA, and 3.5% WR, inflation adjusted, you have about 30% more buying power than started with. A decade of modest returns will be taken in stride.

Anyone expecting a straight line retirement portfolio has not been paying attention.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 12:18 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Well he is predicting these returns just for one decade, not a 30-40 yr period. Are the stock returns drastically different from what we saw from 2000-2010?
Are there any historical patterns in Firecalc which could be mapped out to this type of prediction for survival results?
This site works well for plugging in specific years:

https://goo.gl/CsZjKt (from www.portfoliovisualizer.com - the short link includes some data entries)

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 12:33 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post
... I see people saying hyperinflation couldn't happen here, but five years of 20% inflation would be enough to send me to Home Depot looking for work.
Not us, IMO. That is why the majority of our fixed income tranche is in TIPS.

We expect that in high inflation TIPS will do quite well, as Treasury will stop issuing them and panicked buyers will bid prices up well beyond what normal competitive YTM numbers would be.

We consider the small yield penalty we pay now to be an insurance premium, not an investment loss.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 12:41 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
This site works well for plugging in specific years:

https://goo.gl/CsZjKt (from www.portfoliovisualizer.com - the short link includes some data entries)

-ERD50
Thanks, will try it out.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:30 PM   #18

I don't care what the market or bonds return as long as we have volatility, I can make my numbers!
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 01:45 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
+2. My plan is based on 0-2% real returns. If we get 2% real or more, we’ll have it made.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 01:46 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
Not us, IMO. That is why the majority of our fixed income tranche is in TIPS.

We expect that in high inflation TIPS will do quite well, as Treasury will stop issuing them and panicked buyers will bid prices up well beyond what normal competitive YTM numbers would be.

We consider the small yield penalty we pay now to be an insurance premium, not an investment loss.
We have a a chunk of our portfolio in TIPS as well, plus a low fixed rate mortgage and property taxes under Prop 13. I have modeled high inflation in our spreadsheets and I think we would do well, if not come out ahead.

It is not just inflation that is the issue but real interest rates. If inflation is 12% but CDs are yielding 15% that doesn't seem like too bad of an investment scenario to me. We started basing our retirement plan on 2% real returns based on TIPS yields at the time, and moved that to .5% when rates went down, so I'm happy with the 1%+ real yields these days.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote