Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-14-2012, 10:25 AM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
The "6%" did not just fall out of the sky.

At one time 6% was widely touted as a sound SWR, as many here will recall.

I suspect Mr. O. wanted to kill that idea up front if a reader was still entertaining 6%.
Before I read URM, I had no clue what was considered "safe" or sustainable anymore. Otar's information about the luck factor in light of what had happened to the market in 2008 was very telling. We've decided on a ISWR of less than 2.5% and have a little extra on the side that we can spend throwing caution to the wind.
misty57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2012, 10:05 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
For 30 years, 6% would have been safe 48.6% of the time without Soc Sec, and 82.9% of the time with $16K/yr in Soc Sec. No recommendation, just what FIRECALC returns...
Midpack, you've just given me a whole new way of looking at WR's.

Firecalc tells me that with my AA, a WR of just over 7% will give me a success rate of 12.5%!

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:13 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB View Post
Thank link appears to be dead for me, are you folks still seeing it?
Old 03-14-2012, 11:08 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance Dave View Post
Thank link appears to be dead for me, are you folks still seeing it?
Post 42 in this thread will tell you what happened to it.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:27 AM   #65

Quote:
Doesn't he even mention Fire Calc?
If he mentioned FireClac he couldn't sell his $99 spreadsheet.

Fore those needed free and compatible Microsoft Office Suite, use OpenOffice.org: it's a open source clone developed for Linux and ported to windows, and the authors consistently update and there's online support for users (third party).
Old 03-15-2012, 07:56 AM   #66
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
Midpack, you've just given me a whole new way of looking at WR's.

Firecalc tells me that with my AA, a WR of just over 7% will give me a success rate of 12.5%!

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?
Nope...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dirty-Harry.jpg (84.2 KB, 154 views)

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:17 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by REattempt View Post
For those looking for the free version of the book as listed in the second link in this thread...Jim asked them to remove the link and the book from their site.

They removed the link and the file.
Ah, thanks. Sometimes I don't read all the pages of posts LOL.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:30 PM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

Just finished Otar's book. A good read and worth the $5.99, but a couple of comments.

First off I agree that his frequent use of 6 (sometimes 5%) WR is out of line for most, if not all members of this forum.

For fixed income he mosty uses the 6mo CD rate +1%. That seems a little low for the entire fix income portion of a portfolio.

And, he rather consistently uses a 2% managment fee. Wow, who's paying that? And what would his SWRs look like with a more modest fee structure?

Finally, he really seems to like annuities. Even for the senarios for the guy who is in Otar's "green" zone, his senarios mostly involve using annuities.

Just my 2 cents worth.
moguls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:34 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Otar is Canadian. Many Canadian's pay MER's in the 2%. They do not have enlightened low-expense-ratio providers of financial services. Europe may be even worse.

SPIA's are a great way to shift longevity risk to an insurance company. Once again, Otar is Canadian. He doesn't really address the fact that in the US, Social Security is essentially an inflation-adjusted SPIA that helps insure against longevity risk.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:39 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by moguls View Post
Finally, he really seems to like annuities. Even for the senarios for the guy who is in Otar's "green" zone, his senarios mostly involve using annuities.
He certainly talks about annuities a lot, but I didn't read the "green zone" the way you did. While I hope to avoid buying an annuity, if I find myself in the gray or especially red zone, I think an annuity has to be a very serious consideration. YMMV
Attached Images
File Type: gif Picture1.gif (66.4 KB, 4 views)

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:24 AM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

I agree with Midpack. See the chart on page 470 of the book. Also @ page 471:

Conclusion:
If you are in the green zone, then any reasonable income allocation strategy works. If you want additional income security, you can build ladders for annuities, VA–GMWB’s and VA–GMIB’s. The rungs of the ladders can be one year apart or several years apart. You have the freedom to choose any strategy that makes sense.
You do not need any miracles and you do not need to take unusual risks. Ordinary market index within a balanced portfolio provides a lifelong income, and then some. If you do not like the risks of the equity markets at all and you don’t like annuities, in many cases a bond portfolio will give you all you need, provided that your are in the green zone and don’t live beyond age 94.

Happy that I am in the Green zone!!! I have learned quite a lot from this book and only wish Mr. Otar would publish more of his knowledge as time changes some of his findings and viewpoints.

stevelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:18 PM   #72
Confused about dryer sheets

I missed this thread but found Jim's book through LOL!'s post #18 in this thread:
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ent-61988.html

I shelled out the $5.99 and found it well worth it. The discussion about the equity to bonds ratio (its not critical) was eye opening and worth the cost of admission just for that section. I'm not a big fan of math and I admit there were many times I glossed over sections, but the way it was written really did seem to allow some skimming while still getting the general idea.

I read it on a Nook and much of the formatting of charts were lost so if your local library has it, you may prefer the hard copy format. The charts do look fine when I open the pdf on my computer though.
Fttaw is offline   Reply With Quote