Join Early Retirement Today

John Bogle on bonds
Old 06-06-2010, 05:26 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

John Bogle on bonds

We've seen a lot of concern about the performance bonds/bond funds in what some expect to be a rising interest rate environment. Here is what John Bogle, founder of Vanguard, has to say about the subject:

Bogle's not afraid of bonds: Vanguard founder says to keep investing simple
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2010, 06:12 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It's very interesting that Bogle considers SS as a part of the bond allocation. I'm not clear on how to bring the SS dollars into the allocation equation though.
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 06:45 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejman View Post
It's very interesting that Bogle considers SS as a part of the bond allocation. I'm not clear on how to bring the SS dollars into the allocation equation though.
I interpreted his comments as meaning do a present value calculation on your SS benefits, and consider that amount as part of your bond allocation when applying the "age in bonds" allocation.

So, a 65 year old with $1mm would normally have $650k in bonds; if his SS benefits corresponded to a present value of $200k, he would allocate $450k to bonds (which would correspond to $650k in bonds when the present value of SS is included). Most spreadsheets have a "PV" function.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 06:55 PM   #4

What Rich said.

There are some past threads discussing this subject and I recall no consensus on either the wisdom of following Bogles suggested allocation or on how to arrive at the PV of SS benefits. Big surprise, eh?
Old 06-06-2010, 08:06 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I recall no consensus on either the wisdom of following Bogles suggested allocation or on how to arrive at the PV of SS benefits. Big surprise, eh?
That's true, though Bogle is a hard guy to argue with. I'm sticking with 40-45% equities probably long term, but if I were rich, ailing and in my 80s, that 20% equity position might make sense for me, too.

Did you reduce your bond allocation when you started SS?

Once more time, everyone's situation is different.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Did you reduce your bond allocation when you started SS?
No, I didn't factor SS into my asset allocation. I've stuck with an equity percentage similar to yours, although the current market slide has made me think Bogle's "100 minus your age" bond equity allocation may have some merit...
Old 06-06-2010, 08:48 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
No, I didn't factor SS into my asset allocation. I've stuck with an equity percentage similar to yours, although the current market slide has made me think Bogle's "100 minus your age" bond allocation may have some merit...
Did you mean Bogle's "your current age in bonds" (or 100 minus your age in stocks")?

Old 06-06-2010, 08:52 PM   #8

Quote:
I interpreted his comments as meaning do a present value calculation on your SS benefits, and consider that amount as part of your bond allocation when applying the "age in bonds" allocation.

So, a 65 year old with $1mm would normally have $650k in bonds; if his SS benefits corresponded to a present value of $200k, he would allocate $450k to bonds (which would correspond to $650k in bonds when the present value of SS is included). Most spreadsheets have a "PV" function.
I see, so all I have to do is figure out how long I'll live and what the future inflation adjusted and law change (if any) adjusted SS payments will be and just plug them into the PV calculation... I can see why neither you or REWahoo have actually made that adjustment. Sounds like a good approach to me. I think when I start collecting SS I'll just let it be and consider it mana from heaven...
Old 06-06-2010, 08:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Did you mean Bogle's "your current age in bonds" (or 100 minus your age in stocks")?
In stocks. Thanks for catching my goof.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:03 PM   #10

Actually, it just occurred to me that if I were to follow the 25X rule (or conversely stated the 4% withdrawal guideline) then say a $2,000/mo SS payment would translate into a $600K current pot indexed for inflation as part of the bond allocation no?
Old 06-06-2010, 09:04 PM   #11

Si.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:07 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Actually, it just occurred to me that if I were to follow the 25X rule (or conversely stated the 4% withdrawal guideline) then say a $2,000/mo SS payment would translate into a $600K current pot indexed for inflation as part of the bond allocation no?
Roughly, though SS is COLA-adjusted and the periodic amounts rise by some 8% per year if you delay taking them.

But too much thinking going on here . I think that the 4% rule estimate is fine, and throwing the PV estimate in as a rough amount to help you adjust your asset allocation.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Or if you want more precision, assume SS is an immediate annuity and figure what it would cost to purchase. (Vanguard has a page that given a monthly amount can give you the needed payment). Of course its hard to find an annunity that also pays 1/2 to your spouse if they have no earnings record etc.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:58 AM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Only if you are about to start taking SS now....

I am early 50s... and I will not start to get SS for a long time... so taking my (lets say) $24k per year X 25 is not what I have... that is what I will have 'then'... I would have to discount it back to today...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:50 PM   #15
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
Of course its hard to find an annunity that also pays 1/2 to your spouse if they have no earnings record etc.
It's Social "welfare" Security.
oilspill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:49 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
Of course its hard to find an annunity that also pays 1/2 to your spouse if they have no earnings record etc.
Plenty of annuities have a survivor income option.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:09 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I see, so all I have to do is figure out how long I'll live and what the future inflation adjusted and law change (if any) adjusted SS payments will be and just plug them into the PV calculation... I can see why neither you or REWahoo have actually made that adjustment. Sounds like a good approach to me. I think when I start collecting SS I'll just let it be and consider it mana from heaven...
That's my plan. I'm still young enough to not "count" on SS. I haven't even decided what age I'll take it.

But Bogle's advice probably makes sense for someone for whom SS is a big portion of their retirement income.

Audrey