Join Early Retirement Today

June Electric Bill
Old 07-20-2006, 06:16 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

June Electric Bill

Wow.* *

My June 2006 electric bill went up 312% month over month.

$73 to $228.*

June 2005 my electric bill was $62.*

Good thing there is no inflation.* *:
IHateCNBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: June Electric Bill
Old 07-20-2006, 06:45 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHateCNBC
Wow.* *

My June 2006 electric bill went up 312% month over month.

$73 to $228.*

June 2005 my electric bill was $62.*

I don't know about where you live, but this has been the hottest summer we have had since 1980. I didn't get that kind of an increase though.*
Old 07-20-2006, 06:56 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The last time I had an increase like that I checked my meter and discovered the company had misread it. I also replaced my a/c and wound up saving $80-90 per month.
Old 07-20-2006, 07:24 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHateCNBC
Utilities are generally tightly regulated, which can result in residential prices lagging behind market prices for a while and then catching up rather abruptly. Sometimes utilities try to sweeten the pill, for example:

Quote:
Pepco announced on April 1 that due to dramatic increases in the cost of fuel for generating electricity, rates for its Maryland residential customers would go up an average of about 39 percent beginning June 1, 2006. Given the magnitude of this electric rate increase, the Maryland Public Service Commission approved a Pepco proposal to give residential customers the option to phase in the new rates over a one-year period.
And yes, more efficient air conditioners can save you a bundle. I had mine replaced last year and my June 2006 bill is one of the lowest summer bills I have ever had.
Scrooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 07:28 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

May '05 - $125 > May '06 - $178
June '05 - $195 > June '06 - $272

I believe natural gas fuels many Texas generators...

Plus, this summer, so far, has been hotter (i.e. more normal) than last...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 07:30 AM   #6

My bill went down from ~$150 to $120 from June 05 to June 06. We have the air set lower this year too. I don't remember any cool times this summer, but maybe last summer was particularly hot?

I do know that the local util co is proposing a big double digit rate hike soon.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 07:36 AM   #7

June 2005--$127
June 2006--$132

BUT...we were away the last half of June 2006 and left the thermostat at 82F, and the 2006 bill had one more day (DH normalized them per day to 2005--$4.14 and 2006--$3.86). Just goes to show how much we could save if we left it at 82 :P

EDIT Forgot that we were also away for a week in June 2005! But we only left the thermostat at 80 that time. I think we should travel more in the summer...and the winter
Old 07-20-2006, 07:42 AM   #8

Where I live the billing cycle ends about 2/3 of the way through the month. I remember the bill from ~May 20 to ~June 20 was about $118, which was actually DOWN from about $150 the same time last year. On average, the temps were a bit higher this year, but it was actually a rapid change. I remember going from running the furnace to running the a/c almost within a week.

I can think of a few things that might have helped the bill go down, though.
1) For the most part I've only been running two air conditioners instead of 3
2) I bought a new, more efficient a/c unit earlier in the year to replace this heavy, ancient, inefficient Airtemp by Chrysler unit I had been using. I'm not sure how old it was, but I thought Airtemp division went away about the same time Iacocca went to Chrysler, back in the late 70's!
3) I have two refrigerators. One of them used to sit out on an enclosed side porch off the kitchen, which gets deathly hot in the summertime. That was our beer fridge, so needless to say we'd go out there alot, opening that door and letting the heat into the kitchen. I moved the 2nd fridge into the kitchen, so we hardly ever open that door anymore. Plus, I'm sure the fridge doesn't have to work as hard in the kitchen as it did on that porch.

I haven't gotten the bill for June-July yet. I'm sure it won't be a pretty sight. Last year it was only around $130. However, it's been hotter during the same period of this year, plus I think they raised electric rates by 15% starting July 1. As long as it's not over $200 I won't cry too much.
Andre1969 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 07:45 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

$194 was the bill I got yesterday. But we are now cooling more of the house, with the new baby and many visitors, and the local utility bumped up summer rates by about 2 cents a KWH (~30% increase).

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 07:55 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

June 2005 $98
June 2006 $117

As soon as it gets cooler, I'm putting in some of that radiant foil stuff Nords suggests. Ours is a rural electric cooperative, but price still up for same usage.
That beer fridge will cost you--we used to keep one on the back porch at the beach--now we just keep all the beer in the main fridge and buy less food!
We set the thermostat on 86 during the day (while we are gone) and 79 once we get home.
Sarah

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 07:57 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclesters
That beer fridge will cost you--we used to keep one on the back porch at the beach--now we just keep all the beer in the main fridge and buy less food!*
Yeah, you don't want to eat on an empty stomach... :P

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 08:04 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm

Louisiana - last June - $221 - 1345 sq ft - 5 cents/kwh
Missouri -this June --- $160 - 1100 sq ft - 7 cents/kwh

My killer is water/sewer, trash, gas all new up here - add 81 bucks per month and I haven't started watering the lawn much yet.

heh heh heh
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 08:27 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

In the Dallas area its 14.4 cents per kWh!!* After deregulation we pay among the highest rates in the country!* We personally use one of the lowest cost providers,as the largest provider, TXU, charges 15 cents per kWH!

With temperatures over 100 I don't even want to tell you what our bill is...it gives me a headache...

BarbaraAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 08:37 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclesters
We set the thermostat on 86 during the day (while we are gone) and 79 once we get home.
Sarah
Wow! We set the thermostat at 75 during the day while we are gone, then 74 on weekends during the day (when we are there sometimes) and 71 between 9 pm and 9 am. (We like it cool I guess). I don't know how much extra it costs to have a very comfortable environment inside, but it's worth it!
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 08:50 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Cooling?? Open the windows and enjoy the sea breeze! God provided an efficeint, cost effective, heat pump that cools the air in the summer and moderates winter's chill.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:50 AM   #16

When we first moved here, I tried 78 all day (remember I'm ER--at home) and 75 at night. Now I do 75 when I'm at home, 78-82 when I'm out (depends on how long I'm out). And I run the ceiling fans. And I drink ice water. Sometimes I think I got stuck in a permanent hot flash!

As for $ per KWH...we use SCE&G (South Carolina Electric & Gas):

First 800 KWH = 8.888 cents
Remainder = 9.702 cents

We used 1264 KWH in June 2006, and we were away and left the thermostat @ 82 half the time. But our house is almost 2500 sq ft.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:52 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I got the 'cheap' provider at 13.1 cents plus billing fee which made it 13.4...

But, the old provider was in the 16.5 cents per KWH...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 08:54 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
(We like it cool I guess).* I don't know how much extra it costs to have a very comfortable environment inside, but it's worth it!
Different people have VERY different comfort zones.

When I was in my mid-20s and had almost no body fat (a nurse once told me that it was unhealthy ), I had the thermostat set to 88-90F during the winter season. (Hurray for "all utilities included"!)

<10 years and 50 pounds later, my comfort zone was in the high 60s. Now that my body weight is somewhere in between these two extremes, I like the mid-70s.
Scrooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 08:56 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat
Cooling?? Open the windows and enjoy the sea breeze! God provided an efficeint, cost effective, heat pump that cools the air in the summer and moderates winter's chill.
That worked beautifully when we lived in San Francisco--we didn't even have A/C, and just a tiny electric baseboard heater in each room. (No comment on God's provisions for the sultry and freezing parts of the world
Old 07-20-2006, 09:14 AM   #20

I keep it at 86 when I'm gone and 76 when I'm at home. With fans on, I'm comfortable.

I used 413 KWH last month and I pay 5.25 cents/KWH.
eridanus is offline   Reply With Quote