Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Just because Christmas and winter and first world problems
Old 12-27-2019, 06:38 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just because Christmas and winter and first world problems

There are times one gets to feeling a bit too fat. You know - lovely home, beautiful wife, new highs weekly in the portfolio, no debt, the epitome of fat FIRE. So you write big checks to the tax man to pay the quarterlies and start to feeling put upon because you have to find competent help and they intrude with questions...

So I came across a Reddit site called Poverty Finance. Whew. Good for the sense of gratitude to get a hint of life at different levels.
https://www.reddit.com/r/povertyfinance/
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2019, 06:49 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
There are times one gets to feeling a bit too fat. You know - lovely home, beautiful wife, new highs weekly in the portfolio, no debt, the epitome of fat FIRE. So you write big checks to the tax man to pay the quarterlies and start to feeling put upon because you have to find competent help and they intrude with questions...

So I came across a Reddit site called Poverty Finance. Whew. Good for the sense of gratitude to get a hint of life at different levels.

https://www.reddit.com/r/povertyfinance/

Wow....a different world.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 07:10 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

"The poor you will always have with you" Jesus
Old 12-27-2019, 07:14 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
"The poor you will always have with you" Jesus

Yes, that is correct. We do help where we can. A lot of the threads I read I could see coming from my stepson and his wife if we weren’t around to help. Helps keep things in perspective.
Old 12-27-2019, 07:18 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I was grousing to DW a little about my coming tax bill. She, always the voice of reason, said, "That is the rent you pay for living in the USA"
AMEN
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 07:56 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Since we’re quoting Jesus...

Quote:
Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 08:05 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Since we’re quoting Jesus...

And I think of that every day.
Old 12-27-2019, 08:26 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
I was grousing to DW a little about my coming tax bill. She, always the voice of reason, said, "That is the rent you pay for living in the USA"
AMEN
We've lived *outside* the USA for six of the last eight years. Still paying taxes. My grousing feels slightly more justified...?
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 08:43 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Needed this as I’m working on rebalancing and trying to pick the best lots to sell that will minimize the tax bill. But it’s still going to be large. I guess I should be happy to take these profits and rebalance.
Old 12-27-2019, 08:47 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I have never minded sending in the taxes. The more tax I pay the more dough I made. Easy.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 09:42 PM   #11
gone traveling

Yea, I remember those Ramen/hotdog days when we couldn't grocery shop for lack of funds, and I had to check with the DW to see if I could put gas in the tank. Lots of medical bills, and repair bills kept us down for a long time....SO, So grateful for everything we have accomplished over the last 10 years.
ckelly78z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 09:49 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Some of the posts reminded me of starting my career in early 20's. I was all alone in a new location, far from anyone who cared about me, had spent almost every cent on first-last-month's security, and then learned I would be paid in arrears and would only get half a check in two weeks. This was just about 40 years ago, and I still remember the loneliness, calling my mother for five minutes because long-distance cost so much. Plus, I was already thin and then I lost weight.
But I was able to get a handle on it and, over time, get ahead. For these poor souls, the money worry stretches on and on. I wonder if they are using public library computers.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 04:44 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I have a friend that would fit right in. I met him a few years ago right after I FIRE'd. He led a photography workshop that I went on, and later I went on a few as an assistant to him. Last year his live in GF (who was sharing the bills and had a car) left him because he didn't treat her very well, and his workshop income dried up a lot. For a while he was having to sell camera equipment to pay the rent and food, and then got evicted. He had an opportunity to make some pay with a used camera dealer, but he didn't like putting in the hours. He managed to finance a car with a GoFundMe. He is now down to couch surfing. All along he could have made better choices, and it is just really sad.
Old 12-28-2019, 05:47 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly78z View Post
Yea, I remember those Ramen/hotdog days when we couldn't grocery shop for lack of funds, and I had to check with the DW to see if I could put gas in the tank. Lots of medical bills, and repair bills kept us down for a long time....SO, So grateful for everything we have accomplished over the last 10 years.
Just before we got married in 1982, DW and I looked at a $40k condo. We were very interested but would have had to come up with 5%/$2k for a down payment... and we didn't have $2k so we passed on it. We could have asked my Dad for a $2k loan but I wanted to do it on our own.

Fast forward to today... if the monthly credit card bill comes in at $2k, I'm

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 09:09 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I was divorced at 21 with a 2 year old. We shared a apartment with my sister to save on rent. Although I was working full time with benefits I couldn’t afford daycare. Luckily I qualified for free daycare. My son was never hungry but there were times I was. If my car broke down I depended on my parents to pay to have it fixed. When I remarried I owed my parents 2k and we paid it off. Not fun being poor.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 10:01 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

That reddit thread and people I know in real life are one reason I do not agonize over things like whether or not to do Roth conversions, the SECURE act new 10 year rule for inherited IRAs, moving to a no or low income tax state, etc. Yes, it is important to understand these things and the tradeoffs, but making the "wrong" choice is not going to suddenly send me into poverty. Besides, I already received a benefit by lowering taxes while I worked, so nothing is really being taken from me.

In general the less taxes I pay the better, since in my natural heart the more for me the merrier .But in reality I cannot complain, compared to what others are going through.
Old 12-28-2019, 10:07 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Exactly

Well said
momoftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 10:30 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Oh boy a real blast from the past. I remember when we moved to KC, I made 6 bucks an hour and DW whatever minimum wage plus 20 cents was. We ate a lot of liverwhurst, not because we liked it, cheapest meat we could find. Emergency expenses were an emergency because we had nothing.

When I started going to night school while working full time it was bad, broke, exhausted, and hungry for the entire year. Eventually learned that was the key. I spent many all nighters working for free to build a career. It paid off with interest.

The post that really hit home was a young couple who were grateful a parent gifted them a rice cooker, 10 pounds of rice, and canned vegetables. DW reminded me how we existed on rice with a can of cream of chicken soup on it. Yummy dinner.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 12:46 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

It’s one thing to be young and poor but much worse to be old and poor.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 01:49 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Yes! That post stood out with its gratitude. And while it's only happened a few times (thankfully) and was quickly remedied, I could totally relate to being so hungry I could not stop eating food which, nowadays, I wouldn't even eat.

My parents could not afford to help me, and I did not ask. I remember - and this is even weirder now that I think about it - my Mother spending postage money to send me a "care package" containing cheese crackers, ramen soups, old dish towels and such - and oddest of all, a collection of soap chips (i.e. bars of soap that had been worn down too small to use in the bath), which she advised me to boil into "soap jelly" to wash my underthings. It should be noted that my Mother was an immigrant who had been orphaned in her early teens. She knew poor. I was never anything close to as poor as she had been for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post

The post that really hit home was a young couple who were grateful a parent gifted them a rice cooker, 10 pounds of rice, and canned vegetables. DW reminded me how we existed on rice with a can of cream of chicken soup on it. Yummy dinner.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote