Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-18-2021, 02:59 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
Yep..it's call a CTR. Also I don't think many home sales (cash or otherwise) are normally consummated "at the bank"...more common in title or attorney's offices.

https://www.fdic.gov/news/financial-.../fil21012c.pdf

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/c/ctr.asp
Well the money ends up in the bank eventually.
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2021, 03:28 PM   #82
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
Well the money ends up in the bank eventually.
Of course, however when it's done through a title office or attorney's office it is an exempt transaction not subject to reporting to the feds. This is not the case if you give someone a big wad of cash and that is then deposited to the bank.
Old 08-18-2021, 03:45 PM   #83
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Of course, however when it's done through a title office or attorney's office it is an exempt transaction not subject to reporting to the feds. This is not the case if you give someone a big wad of cash and that is then deposited to the bank.

Do you need paperwork when you go to the bank then? No wonder the wife in Ozark had a real estate office!
Old 08-18-2021, 04:17 PM   #84
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Do you need paperwork when you go to the bank then? No wonder the wife in Ozark had a real estate office!
If you go to deposit more than 10K, the bank is required to verify who you are...and it doesn't matter if they "know" you. The doc I shared shows the procedures banks are required to follow including the documentation they must sent to the feds. Ah, Ozark...I am ready for the next season!
Old 08-18-2021, 04:53 PM   #85
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dot57 View Post
We are actually about to close on a cash purchase. My husband wanted to amend the contract and take advantage of the low interest rates but the seller would not agree, even after showing him our A+ credit and offering to pay all fees. We felt he was being unreasonable which is why I posed the question.
We haven’t had a mortgage for 30 years. We are in our mid 60s so I’m a bit leary. I love this forum and really appreciate reading all the ideas people pose!
What were you trying to amend? Loan approval contingency? Delay closing? Both of these are unfavorable new terms that a typical seller would not accept. I know I would not accept these changes if my buyers changed the terms.
RetiredHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 05:25 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dot57 View Post
We are actually about to close on a cash purchase. My husband wanted to amend the contract and take advantage of the low interest rates but the seller would not agree, even after showing him our A+ credit and offering to pay all fees. We felt he was being unreasonable which is why I posed the question.
We havenít had a mortgage for 30 years. We are in our mid 60s so Iím a bit leary. I love this forum and really appreciate reading all the ideas people pose!
Right now it is 100% a seller's market. He probably turned down other cash offers to take yours. He want none of the extra hassle of a mortgage - and a bank - involved with the sale, appraisal, inspection, possible delays.

He can relist the house tomorrow and get another cash buyer for probably $15k or more than you have already agreed to. If you want the house, stick to cash. It's not about fees or your credit, it's about a smooth fast sale with no chance of a hiccup.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 06:03 PM   #87
Full time employment: Posting here.

Trying to deposit $1.7 Mil in a metal suitcase at your bank would likely trigger a SAR at minimum. Suspicious Activity Report. A wire transfer would be better. LOL.
MC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 06:27 PM   #88

Quote:
The buyer with the cash simply transfer the money into escrow. Escrow company gives a check to the buyer after recording the buyer's name on the title at the County records office.

The transaction is reported to the government 3 ways: (1) Recording at the county office (County government) (2) Escrow company provides Form 1099S form reporting the gross proceeds (federal government) (3) In the State of California, escrow office may withhold state taxes from the proceeds. (state government)

The buyer does not have to worry about the government except making sure the county office records the deed. The buyer gets that verification from the county and gets a county property tax bill.

In California, the seller may have state and federal income taxes to report.

Ref:

https://www.clta.org/page/Consumer10
2177V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 06:26 PM   #89
Give me a forum ...

Right I'm not really believing the 1 million plus in the sliver briefcase.
Old 08-19-2021, 06:33 PM   #90

Quote:
Right I'm not really believing the 1 million plus in the sliver briefcase.

What if it was handcuffed to their wrist?
MC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 08:30 PM   #91
Recycles dryer sheets

No, it was easy. Our realtor showed us houses without proof of cash. The proof was required when we made our offer. A quick phone call to my bank netted our "proof of funds" on bank letterhead that listed the accounts and balances (I blanked out the account numbers). This letter was submitted with our offer.

Although I did show our realtor a screen shot of our bank CD balances to let her know we were serious about buying. But what was funny was right after our realtor showed us the first house, she asked "Have you been pre-qualified". I simply answered "No, I see no need for pre-qualification." She gave me this puzzled look and then proceeded to explain to us why pre-qualification was important. I interrupted her and said, "It's a cash sale." She then smiled and said, Correct, you don't need pre-qualification."

Paying for cash is a lot simpler too. You forgo the property appraisal and can forgo ordering the survey, although we got one and also purchased buyer title insurance.

At closing we signed no more than 5 times and were done in 15 minutes.
NateW is offline   Reply With Quote