Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-19-2022, 01:33 PM   #241
Recycles dryer sheets

FINAL UPDATE: Since I started this thread, here goes. After getting a form letter requesting that I provide original hardcopies of all documents reflecting tax withholdings, two weeks later I have been notified that my refund will be deposited on 3/22.
FloridaJim57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2022, 03:17 PM   #242
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaJim57 View Post
FINAL UPDATE: Since I started this thread, here goes. After getting a form letter requesting that I provide original hardcopies of all documents reflecting tax withholdings, two weeks later I have been notified that my refund will be deposited on 3/22.
We had a person at our Tax-Aide site come in with one of those form letters this week after we had done her taxes in early Feb. The only withholding she had was from SS, so it seemed pretty ridiculous that she has to send the IRS a doc from SSA, but that's what we had her do. Heaven forbid that one gov't dept should talk to another gov't dept. It's good to know it won't hold up her refund for too long.
cathy63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 03:29 PM   #243

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
We had a person at our Tax-Aide site come in with one of those form letters this week after we had done her taxes in early Feb. The only withholding she had was from SS, so it seemed pretty ridiculous that she has to send the IRS a doc from SSA, but that's what we had her do. Heaven forbid that one gov't dept should talk to another gov't dept. It's good to know it won't hold up her refund for too long.
I think it's safe to believe that well-meaning but rigid privacy laws/regulations are responsible for that lack of communication.
Old 03-19-2022, 03:55 PM   #244
Administrator

I filed by mail two days ago. Small amount owing to feds. Larger refund due from state. I'm applying a portion of the state refund to 2022 to obviate the need to make estimated payments for a Roth conversion completed in January. I'll have to mail estimated taxes quarterly to the feds though.

I thought this might be the year I finally filed electronically, but due to their repeated rejections when I tried to sign up for EFTPS, I have no faith in them not to screw it up. So they'll continue to get more paper from me.
Old 03-20-2022, 04:13 AM   #245
Recycles dryer sheets

me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
Mine was a total of three documents, my social security, my wife's social security, and my pension. Two out of three were government issued.
FloridaJim57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 07:03 AM   #246

We had a year a while back where they claimed we owed more $$. I called and they said I hadn’t sent in a copy of 1099-R from Army retirement so they assumed I had no withholding. Strange they knew about the income block but not withholding block on same piece of paper. I sent in another copy and it was cleared up.
Old 03-20-2022, 07:35 AM   #247
Recycles dryer sheets

We filed last Monday evening using Free Fillable Forms. Two days later "Where's My Refund" showed that it was received. I checked again today and it is shows as "approved" with the refund set to go out on Tuesday. I am very impressed with how quickly that happened.
pirsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 02:14 PM   #248
Full time employment: Posting here.

I e-filed our FED on 3/21 via TT, accepted within 30 minutes. Our refund showed up in our bank account by 8am today, 3/24. Wow!
ocean view is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 10:42 AM   #249
Recycles dryer sheets

Lucky you, @OceanView!

After the TT 1116 debacle, I e-filed my FED on 3/21, accepted within 20 minutes, and still no sign of my refund ($7K -- sure wish it would be deposited!) The estimate on "Where's my refund" is 21 days, or April 11.

I've set up my 2022 quarterly payments in EFTPS so, as soon as I get my refund I can finally close the books on the tax season.
BarbWire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 12:29 PM   #250
Recycles dryer sheets

I e-filed on 3/15, accepted 3 minutes later. Got my refund yesterday.
Phroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 06:45 PM   #251

I slogged through the 1040 on free fillable tax forms, and came up with owing 1309.
That is a number I can live with!
My wife's work seems to never withhold enough, and many years I will have several employers and they also would not withhold enough. I would usually have to write a check that approached penalty levels.
My current employer, I can walk in to the office and she brings up the payroll app, and I can choose fixed amounts or percentages. I did that last year and guessed pretty darn close
The W-4 formulation never did cut it.
That's half the story. I e-filed this morning and lo and behold, they accepted it the first time. I would always make some bonehead mistake somewhere and get a reject.
Operating Engineer for a commercial plumbing contractor
skyking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 10:55 PM   #252
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireBy90 View Post
We had a year a while back where they claimed we owed more $$. I called and they said I hadn’t sent in a copy of 1099-R from Army retirement so they assumed I had no withholding. Strange they knew about the income block but not withholding block on same piece of paper. I sent in another copy and it was cleared up.

It's magic how when they are missing a piece of paper they don't tell us, you paid too much tax as we can't find the proof of the income.
Only proof of deduction or tax paid counts...

Years ago I had IL cut my refund until I sent another copy of the tax paid on the IL Unemployment income.

You might think the State dept withholding income tax would tell the other department about the withheld tax, but No....
Old 03-29-2022, 12:15 PM   #253
Give me a forum ...

OK, we finally e-filed!

Last time it only took about 15 minutes to get the return accepted by the IRS.

Same this time. Already accepted!
Old 03-29-2022, 04:23 PM   #254
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes, we e-filed today with H & R Block and files accepted in 5 minutes
We underpaid this year.....so we owe more $$ than planned.
Octogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 10:41 PM   #255
Give me a forum ...

We have to mail in a form. Thank goodness we don’t have to mail in the entire return!

Form 8453 U.S. Individual Income Tax Transmittal for an IRS e-file Return. An acknowledgment from a charity of a non-cash donation we made.
Old 03-30-2022, 05:30 AM   #256
Give me a forum ...

Took less than an hour for the Fed e-file to be accepted.

Yesterday I went to BJ's to buy copy paper. Last time I purchased it was 8 reams for something like $30.00. It was so long ago I don't recall where I bought it.

Three reams of 18# copy paper was $15.99. I have a good amount of laser paper if I need better quality.

Today my focus is on mailing the state return, so a trip to the post office.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 04:38 PM   #257

We e-filed our returns on 3/27 and fed and state both accepted that night.

Online checking account shows Tax Refund ACH 2 days early this morning. It will probably be awhile before we receive the state refund.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 01:51 PM   #258
Recycles dryer sheets

We filed yesterday 3/31.I was thinking this would be the last year of dealing with K1 from my former company. Everything was sold when I retired and I would sell the units each year as they vested. Low and behold I got a surprise bonus at the first of part of March. The company that bought the company I worked for vested some units that I thought were forfeited. I received a couple of distribution checks and sold the units. Taxes were with held including SS for the distribution and units. So one more year of K1, but since Now I have earned income I’ll contribute to my Roth IRA this year. I’ll live with the pain of the K1 for one more year.
djsander is offline   Reply With Quote