Just filed my Federal tax return

FloridaJim57

Recycles dryer sheets
Today, 1/27, I electronically filed my Federal Income Tax return through H&R Block. Last year it took an insane amount of time to get my refund. Am curious to see how long this one takes. An an emial that said it was accepted.

I snail mailed mine on the 24th. Last year's refund was deposited in about 6 weeks. Hopefully this year's is just as quick.

I am lucky to get them filed by early March since the brokers take FOREVER to send out the tax forms. Nonetheless, I don't think I have ever waited more than 7-10 days for the refund. We have been filing with TaxAct for 10+ years.

I tried to e-file with HR Block yesterday but, apparently, there's a form that won't be finalized until early February.

I won't even consider snail mail given the IRS problems managing paper during the pandemic. Usually I snail mail the state return but I may pay to e-file that this year.

IRS already put the word out online asking for returns to be done as soon as possible.

Needless to say, thing are not normal right now with so many working from home. And don't you know they're very, very short handed.

And for that, I'm just so sorry for them.

I may be filing in the next two days as well.
And depending on how my withholding compares to my total tax liability, I'll be adjusting it a bit with a target of owing $300 to $500 in additional tax next year at this time.

In the somewhat unlikely event of Identity Theft, it's much better to be owing a bit more rather than expecting a refund...

I am lucky to get them filed by early March since the brokers take FOREVER to send out the tax forms. Nonetheless, I don't think I have ever waited more than 7-10 days for the refund. We have been filing with TaxAct for 10+ years.
I shoot for late Feb, only because I have to wait for 1099’s, foreign taxes, tax-exempt %, etc. I’d file earlier if it was possible for us.

Because I will be filing on paper (always) for a large (federal) refund, something I have never had, I plan to file early, as soon as I get my 1099s in the next week or so. I'll ask for direct deposit to speed things up, another thing new to me.

I owe a little to the state so I'll mail that out in late March.

I'm 95% done with mine but I won't send it in, even when it's done, until a few business days before the deadline in April... And then it will be via snail mail. No sense in giving them any more money until the last minute. :)

I have a K-1 that never gets to me until at least April 1st. I hate that investment! I file shortly afterwards.

Oye. I made an investment as an LP last year and am waiting on a K-1 as well. I thought the brokerages were bad but now you are telling me it might be April? Ugh. I was under the assumption that they were supposed to be issued NLT March 15th. But...I know what an assumption means. :blush:

I'm also waiting forever and a day for brokerage downloads. I've input estimates of everything in TurboTax and it looks like I'll owe about $1,500 between Fed and State, but I want to make sure that what I report is exactly what they get from the brokerage firms.

And it WILL be e-filing. I prefer paper because I don't want to wrap up all that nice detail in electronic from for them but having been burned when I was getting a substantial refund on my 2019 return. Never again.

Because I will be filing on paper (always) for a large (federal) refund, something I have never had, I plan to file early, as soon as I get my 1099s in the next week or so. I'll ask for direct deposit to speed things up, another thing new to me.

I owe a little to the state so I'll mail that out in late March.

Why paper? E-file would speed up the refund by several weeks.

I don't have all my statements yet, but am making sure that all the parties who I am responsible for their tax return owes monies for 2021.
Not dealing with the BS of waiting forever for a refund.

I normally have to wait until mid to late February for 1099 forms. Then I'll e-file federal but snail-mail the state return because I won't pay the $20 that TurboTax gouges for that. At least that's what they've wanted in the past. If it's free (as it should be) then I'll e-file the state too.

I’ve been efiling since the mid ‘90s. It’s the only way to go. Any issue I have ever had has always been because of paper filing. You can efile and choose your date of payment as 4/15, which I have done a number of times. This is my first tIRA to Roth conversion year, so understanding what TT is asking and what is on the forms is not crystal clear to me yet. So far, so good, though.

I'm in no rush. Probably will wait til around St. Pat's day.

Still waiting for 2 1099's. One of them I don't really need, 'coz I can just use the December statement. But the other is DW's pension, and a small portion is not Federally taxable. So I need that 1099 for accuracy (and to not overpay my taxes).

I have always paper filed as soon as I have all necessary info. Have never had an issue related to paper filing but I do plan my taxes/withholding so I always owe a bit. If I expected or wanted to receive a refund (not sure why I would), I might rethink paper filing. If the IRS were to lose my return, I can send another copy so not a huge deal.

I'm filing electronic. After the 2.5 year battle I had with the IRS on them losing my paper-filed business return, they are never going to see a paper return from me again.

So far my return using estimates for the not-yet-readily-available forms shows we will owe money, so the current plan is to file just before the deadline. Subject to change after mid-February, when all official forms should be available.

I'm filing electronic. After the 2.5 year battle I had with the IRS on them losing my paper-filed business return, they are never going to see a paper return from me again.

I am certainly not going to judge people for filing a paper return but as your experience has shown, that seems to me that paper filing would be ripe of problems. Not only to mention, I am pretty certain that once the IRS gets the paper returns, they are scanned and converted digitally anyway...and probably by the lowest contract bidder. No thanks.

Yeah, some hackers in India.

Back
Top Bottom