Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-03-2015, 03:11 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I'm hanging onto my old trusty flip phone. Was talking to my sister who has an android phone and I had to say several times that she was fading out. Then she goes "oops, didn't have the phone next to my mouth"). But in her case, I think more human error than faulty phone.
It might be for me, too. I need to experiment with this extensively when I'm talking to F and we both have the time for it. But gosh, I never had so many complaints about it before this year. So far, F says that how I point the phone doesn't seem to help (but I only tried a few changes).

Meanwhile, I am still down on iPhones and far from being smug about owning one!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2015, 03:19 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog View Post
Heh heh....I might use a couple of your suggestions.

Actually we participate in these activities several times a month. ...
Wow, I thought this was just a once or twice a year thing, so just let it go. But several times a month? Time for a lesson!

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 03:35 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Prius is a glorified golf cart, tell them to get a real car that can do what they want to do. Also charge them extra for "wear and tear" on your car besides gas cost.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 03:47 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

If you buy a Chevy Suburban you'll find your Outback friends will want to ride with you, more comfortable, even better in snow, can put stuff in back without disassembly, maybe even their Prius.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Rothman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 03:58 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Dog...sounds like you might have a case of Prius envy? I should go on record and say that I don't own a Prius, but know some nice people that do.

Now...about the smug iPhone owners....
Not getting that Prius envy at all. I know some nice Prius owners too, but it sounds like Dog's friends are kind of jerks about it except for when they need something else.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 04:26 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Those smug Prius driving bustards don't deserve to have you as a friend. I think you should just hang out with people that drive manly vehicles.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 04:29 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hi Easysurfer,

No Prius envy here. I could have one if I wanted one. I carefully assessed the lifestyle I wanted in retirement and the Subaru best fit my needs (I'm a short, 57 YO woman and I can load my 16' kayak on the rack myself).

Also no smugness in owning an iPhone. It was the cell phone that work required and they let me keep it when I retired.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 10-03-2015, 05:19 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hi Easysurfer,

No Prius envy here. I could have one if I wanted one. I carefully assessed the lifestyle I wanted in retirement and the Subaru best fit my needs (I'm a short, 57 YO woman and I can load my 16' kayak on the rack myself).

Also no smugness in owning an iPhone. It was the cell phone that work required and they let me keep it when I retired.

Hi Dog,

That's good to know about the no Prius envy. What is a perfect car for one person is not the right one for someone else.

I have a brother who reminds me again and a again the benefits of his smartphone (iPhone). I tell him, I'm happy with my flip phone. Works for me. I don't want a smartphone on all the time just a "page" away from being contacted.

p.s. I misunderstood your original post.
Old 10-03-2015, 05:28 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
That's exactly why we don't own a Prius. I think of them as "commuter" cars - for folks who have a lot of work commuting plus in-city driving for errands. Once you are ready to head off into the mountains for hiking or whatever, or packing the gear for that wildlife phot shoot - not so practical.
Lol, I'm actually stuck between a Prius C and HR-V. Primary use is to commute daily to work and that's in-city driving. However, the HR-V is just more practical for "long" drives when visiting relatives and for doing groceries and errands during weekends.

@Dog
Maybe you should start charging for mileage.
hnzw_rui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 05:52 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnzw_rui View Post
Lol, I'm actually stuck between a Prius C and HR-V. Primary use is to commute daily to work and that's in-city driving. However, the HR-V is just more practical for "long" drives when visiting relatives and for doing groceries and errands during weekends.

@Dog
Maybe you should start charging for mileage.
I had a similar choice a couple of years ago between a Prius C or Honda Fit. Though I really liked the Prius C (Even to this day -- I guess the grass is always greener on the other side), I went with the Honda Fit as for me, the extra cargo capability is my #1 need vs the crazy good gas mileage. One of the first thing I did when getting the fit was to haul away a large exercise bike to drop off at Goodwill -- something I could not do with a Prius C.
Old 10-03-2015, 06:13 PM   #31

My wife gets this a lot she drives a GMC Sierra crew cab 4WD with a bed cover. So when the girls want to go shopping in Tucson 4 girls 4 big coolers who do you think drives. Luckily this is a once a quarter trip, and the others drive to Mexico for lunch and shopping which she doesn't like to do.
Old 10-03-2015, 06:41 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Most of the time I don't mind driving and they typically contribute towards gas money. It just irks me that they are so smug about how they are saving the world by owning a Prius and look down on those who drive combustible engines, but don't hesitate to ask me to use my gas burning, polluting engine to get them where they want to be.
You guys are using your vehicle for what it does best. Seems only fair to use their vehicle for what it does best. Next time you need to run to the next town for a small errand, give one of your pals a call and see if they'll take you in their very efficient little car. When you've spent an hour of their time and wear-and-tear on their car, give them a buck for the gas they burned, and tell them how great you feel about saving the environment. The whole time you are in the car, go on and on about CO2, the value of carpooling like this, etc. Only do this a few times per month, same as your car is being used.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 06:46 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

We have a Prius, the thing has needed multiple repairs this year to the tune of about $3k. DW drives it every where. We also have an old F350 crew cab 4x4 that can go nearly anywhere off road. Then there is my car the Highlander. So not too much smugness for us, just a little bit.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
OrcasIslandBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 06:46 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

We would never ask anyone for a ride

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
OrcasIslandBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 06:47 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Most of the time I don't mind driving and they typically contribute towards gas money. It just irks me that they are so smug about how they are saving the world by owning a Prius and look down on those who drive combustible engines, but don't hesitate to ask me to use my gas burning, polluting engine to get them where they want to be.

Okay...,I feel better getting that off my chest!
Think maybe I'd play up how expensive it is for fuel is that pollution rich vehicle. Ask for more of that golden fuel.

Glad you like your Outback, I was thinking about looking for one to fill in for my ageing 4x4 Silverado. Smaller, way more gas efficient.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 07:40 PM   #36

In the early adoption period, several friends referred to it as the "Toyota Pius"
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 10:03 PM   #37

I think you're lucky to have some friends to enjoy your hobbies with.
Al18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 11:56 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

If they have animals (dogs, cats, horses), you can tell them that dogs have a larger carbon footprint than an SUV. I looked this up one time because I have a relative that is very vocal about her dislike of the SUV but she has a horse and two large dogs.
Old 10-04-2015, 12:05 AM   #39

Gave the Outback to the oldest as a wedding present when he got married last summer, but liked that car. Plowed through 1 foot of snow to the Colorado cabin. It was a manual and got close to 30 mpg on the highway.
We have a new Forester and and older Legacy (the latter was the commute car). I actually like the Outback better than the Forester because the former's visibility was so much better but DW likes the Forester because it is automatic.
The AWD is great, on all of them.
RobLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Just Griping
Old 10-04-2015, 10:39 AM   #40

Just Griping

Hi Al18,

I met these ladies through some of the clubs I joined to meet people with similar interests. They are more acquaintances then friends at this point. I enjoy hiking, backpacking and snowshoeing with them, but we don't have much in common beyond the outdoor activities.
Again, I was just venting and am happy to have folks to play outside with 😉

RobLJ,
I am very happy with my Subaru so far. It safely gets me where I want to go and is very comfortable. I have also slept in it several times when weather was too crappy to pitch a tent. It is a great vehicle for me!