Just picked up a nice 110k home for 28k!

Well....we're FINALLY closing on this turd next wednesday. Time for me to tighten up the bootstraps and bust a$$ for 3 weeks.

We found some structural issues during a tertiary inspection...due to the water issues theres a freeze line crack in the 2nd lowest course of visible cinder block. After talking to several pros, I can add another $700 or so to the budget as its a simple fix....but it's another $700 bucks I wasnt hoping for!

Another unexpected issue was turning on the power. I wanted to get power turned on so I could start immediately after closing. Well, since its been off for 12 months, OhioEdison requires a city inspection first! Ugg....hate having the inspectors in a dump...opens up a can of worms. So, I pay $30 for a permit and they come out to inspect....the guy turned out to be really nice and is allowing me to do the one thing he requires to be done (add supplemental ground....drive 8 ft rod into ground and use it in conjunction with existing water line ground). The power's on and it only took 4 hours of running around to figure it out!

I just got my butt into gear and took my basement bathroom project from 50% done to 90% done over the last few days...a couple more days of work at home and im off the wife's honey do list! Then i'm off to the races

We found some more issues! not sure if i mentioned it but we had slight foundation issues. Also discovered both sump drain and gutter drain lines were collapsed on the way to the street. As such, I trenched about 100 feet to tie everything together and into the street...luckily it only set me back $100 and a back ache.

Basement is waterproofed. Exterior sidewalks are leveled. Foundation is repaired. Upstairs drywall repair and wallpaper removal is 80% done. I've actually had some work lately so this is on the back burner, but i hope to get close to finishing within the next 20 days. I've had zero help with labor...getting a bit tired

Maybe we will see you on one of those flip this house shows :)

Funny you mention that. I LOVE those shows, but I only see one on each week on Saturdays...there used to be 2 or 3 every night!

1202 Noble pictures by thefed17 - Photobucket

Okay...here's some of the final pictures...a lot are fuzzy and I re-took them, but this gives you a good idea. scroll thru the full sized photos from beginning to end and see the transformation!

We have a guy in there now on a land contract and made a deal with him to update a few more things than we planned on....so we went over the budget...but he paid for 1/2 of the updates so it was worth it

Oh yea...its rented for 750! better than expected

Problem I've been seeing in the hud and bank owned homes is MOLD. Can have it treated by a pro for $3k/room. Or gut it your self and risk a reoccurrence since the spores were not treated properly.

Last 2 I entered had roof leaks which went untreated for years; mix in no heat ... and what do ya get: mold taking over the top floor. And spreading into the first floor in one home.

Can really kill your budget.

I'm curious, you gave an original estimate of 80 hours of labor to get this place ready, did that number hold up or did you go over. From watching the house flipper shows it seems like they were always trying to get the job done as quickly as possible, but usually ran into some kind of time delay with unexpected problems. So, how long did it take you and how many hours of labor do you think you put in?

thefed: nice looking job. I used to love doing stuff like that but FIRE (plus age) got in the way. Looked at all the photos a couple times. Nice work but wondered what's that white stuff on the ground?

I'm curious, you gave an original estimate of 80 hours of labor to get this place ready, did that number hold up or did you go over. From watching the house flipper shows it seems like they were always trying to get the job done as quickly as possible, but usually ran into some kind of time delay with unexpected problems. So, how long did it take you and how many hours of labor do you think you put in?

I ended up doing all of the labor myself....to the tune of (guessing here..) 120-150 hrs. I had hoped to get some general labor in there to knock it out, but I took my time and tried to enjoy myself...as odd as that may seem...it was a lot less stressful. Plus, I added some hours doing things for the new tenant. It took 3 months in total, but I only worked there 5-6 hours some weeks....priorities took over.

JOHNNIE36: It's residual dust...those photos were taken before the final cleaning

tryan: And those are the ones I love! I do mold remediation as a profession so it costs me pennies on the dollar

I do mold remediation as a profession so it costs me pennies on the dollar

I had a guy offer me the ventilation equiptment for $50/day. Also said "1/3 Pinesol and 2/3 water" .... "not bleach". Anything else I need to know?

I had a guy offer me the ventilation equiptment for $50/day. Also said "1/3 Pinesol and 2/3 water" .... "not bleach". Anything else I need to know?

Yes. DONT use pinesol! what a joke.

You'll want an ammonium chloride concentrate to begin with like Shockwave or something similar...I think walmart might even sell something in concentrated form (not lysol...much higher concentration). I get shockwave cheap from great lakes textiles in cleveland oh.

Then you can coat any wood surfaces with a product like fosters 40 (latex based paint type material).

Bewyond that, for overkill, you can apply a borate-based detergent like borax and dont rinse...but the fosters is supposed to take care of this step....although it cant hurt

pm me and if you want greater detail...you can call me and i'll give you a quick rundown...theres more to it than this

Back
Top Bottom