Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-02-2023, 04:23 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My 1st time doing our tax in years, Our CU stopped providing the service last year.
Filed 3/16, confirmed accepted on 3/17, IRS deposited it on 3/30.
State saying up to 10 weeks for a refund.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2023, 08:12 AM   #62

Filed on 3/6 and refund has still not been approved. The website says that they apologize for the delay. Sigh.
RetiredHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 08:15 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredHappy View Post
Filed on 3/6 and refund has still not been approved. The website says that they apologize for the delay. Sigh.
Do you have an online IRS account? You might be able to see if they have updated anything there.
PaunchyPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 02:45 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaunchyPirate View Post
Do you have an online IRS account? You might be able to see if they have updated anything there.
Is it the same as IRS Refund website? I don't have anything that requires a login. What is the URL? Thanks!
Old 04-02-2023, 02:52 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredHappy View Post
Is it the same as IRS Refund website? I don't have anything that requires a login. What is the URL? Thanks!
https://www.irs.gov/payments/your-online-account

It is not the same as the refund status site. This is an actual account that you log in to see your tax records. I have found it useful over the last few years to track down things for my own and my mothers taxes. It does now require you to go thru the process of setting up an ID.me account for authentication. That can be tedious and/or confusing for some people, so you may want to research what that involves and prepare your documents for it. I had no problems setting up my ID.me account. I use it for my Social Security account too.

If you decide to set up the IRS account, come back and ask questions if you can’t figure some of the things out. It is a powerful tool but, as most government websites, it’s not always easy to use.
Old 04-02-2023, 03:26 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaunchyPirate View Post
https://www.irs.gov/payments/your-online-account

It is not the same as the refund status site. This is an actual account that you log in to see your tax records. I have found it useful over the last few years to track down things for my own and my mothers taxes. It does now require you to go thru the process of setting up an ID.me account for authentication. That can be tedious and/or confusing for some people, so you may want to research what that involves and prepare your documents for it. I had no problems setting up my ID.me account. I use it for my Social Security account too.

If you decide to set up the IRS account, come back and ask questions if you can’t figure some of the things out. It is a powerful tool but, as most government websites, it’s not always easy to use.
Thank you!
Old 04-02-2023, 09:33 PM   #67
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I saw this thread and decided it was time to do my taxes. I opened TT on my laptop today. I'll leave it on tonight. Maybe the brownies will do my taxes for me.
Old 04-03-2023, 04:56 PM   #68

Today I received a letter from IRS (remember, from above that I filed on 3/6/23 and have yet to receive a refund?) with a letter, form 5071C, to verify return before IRS can continue to process the already "accepted" return. The letter said it is to prevent fraud and needed to verify that it is me. Our fault for letting IRS owe us quite a large amount. Anyway, I went through the ID.me process to create an account and uploaded my personal information (photo id and selfie). From this point, it says it will take another 9 weeks for IRS to process our return.
Old 04-03-2023, 05:10 PM   #69

Still waiting for mine. Filed a few weeks ago. State refund already delivered. Fed still says pending.

Normally don't have a refund, but I converted less than anticipated.
Old 04-04-2023, 07:26 PM   #70

Is anybody else taking the California "disaster dividend"? Almost all California residents have been given until October 16th to file because of the extra rain we got. It didn't really effect me personally at all, but since I owe a few $K I figure why not wait the extra 6 months to pay.
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 10:58 PM   #71

we have simple taxes. I plug it in to the fillable forms and send the IRS a check, every year. I have been tuning the withholding and it is not so painful as it used to be
skyking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 05:50 AM   #72

Well, I just checked "Where's My Refund". Good news is, its scheduled for Friday. Bad news is, it for over $1,000 less than I filed for.

I used TurboTax, so a math error is unlikely. Does anyone know if the IRS will follow up with an explanation?

FWIW, I have already received my state refund, and it was exactly as submitted on my taxes.
Old 04-05-2023, 06:45 AM   #73

Still waiting for late DM's 2021 refund. Return showed a refund of $450, return with death certificate, short form sent in April 2022, along with mine. In June, got a letter saying there was an addition mistake, send $15. Got a letter early December saying I overpaid, get a refund of $450 +$15 plus interest since April, but send in a death certificate and short certificate. I had to ask for another short certificate in December. After waiting for county holiday or whatever delay, it was sent in early February. Still no $$$.
Old 04-05-2023, 07:33 AM   #74

eFiled Federal on March 24 and see today that my refund is due to be deposited in my bank account on Friday, April 7. So 2 weeks total processing time. Not bad.

State return was filed by mail and also shows as having been approved and I should get my refund check in 3-4 weeks.

This year's Federal return was concerning to me because I had to report the final K-1 of a long-term, limited partnership investment that has been a dark cloud hovering over me for 19 years. That partnership was finally dissolved in 2022, much to my delight. Honestly, I have no idea if the tax return was done properly. I just answered the TurboTax questions as honestly and accurately as I could and closed my eyes and crossed my fingers and clicked "Submit".

It will be extremely nice to no longer have to deal with that K-1 going forward.
Old 04-05-2023, 07:45 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
Well, I just checked "Where's My Refund". Good news is, its scheduled for Friday. Bad news is, it for over $1,000 less than I filed for.

I used TurboTax, so a math error is unlikely. Does anyone know if the IRS will follow up with an explanation?

FWIW, I have already received my state refund, and it was exactly as submitted on my taxes.
Yes, if the IRS modified your return and recalculated the tax or refund, you will get a letter explaining what they changed. If you register at irs.gov for an online account you can also see it there.

Things to check on your return:
- typos in the income and withholding amounts for anything you typed in yourself, such as an SSA-1099 or 1099-R that didn't download from a financial institution.
- estimated payments if you made any. Verify that you really sent them and the online transactions were really processed or checks were cashed and the amounts entered in TTax were correct.

Otherwise, the most likely cause is that you missed entering some income that the IRS thinks should be taxable. Maybe a 1099 got lost in the mail or you forgot to download one or you did an IRA or 401k rollover by check?

edit: A less likely cause is that you owe money to the IRS or some other part of the government and part of your refund was confiscated to pay that off.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 04:43 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by old medic View Post
Filed 3/16, confirmed accepted on 3/17, State saying up to 10 weeks for a refund.
And received on the 4th.... 19 days.... not bad.
Old 04-11-2023, 07:04 AM   #77

Filed on 3/27 - earliest ever for me. State refund came in three days. Federal deposit was 7/7 but I think it was delayed a bit due to a large deduction on Schedule A.
jebmke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 06:38 AM   #78

Filed 3/15. Refund amount listed on my IRS account. The website won't give me any information about the status of my refund-I put in the SSN, filing status and refund amount and it says I may not have put in the information correctly. I tried my SSN and DH's SSN. Didn't work. I tried calling, and the automated system says sorry, we cannot give you any information.

What could be going on?
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 09:41 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
...What could be going on?
There are many possibilities.
- identity theft
- error in the data entered the return
- missing data on the return
- randomly selected for additional internal review or audit
- they sent you a notice and you haven't received it yet
- etc.

You can login to your IRS account and click on Notices and Letters to see if there's anything there.

You can also try pulling a 2022 transcript from the Tax Records section of your account if it's available. You might see something in the Record of Account transcript that shows the IRS changed your 2022 return in some way.

If the transcript isn't available and there's no pending notice, then there's no information to be had, and the only thing to do is keep waiting while their process grinds on. If you haven't heard anything by the end of May, you could contact the Taxpayer Advocate Service.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 10:40 AM   #80

In my IRS account, it shows the refund amount. All the data is correct on the return. We've had the same tax accountant for 24 years. We haven't moved, nothing has changed.

Where's my refund says the following:

"You may not have entered your information correctly. Please verify your personal tax data and try again."

Maybe it's been flagged for review. But it shouldn't say I didn't enter the data correctly. The refund amount is on the IRS website when I log in. I tried to call but I get nowhere.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote