Just received 2022 tax refund!

Filed on 3/27 - earliest ever for me. State refund came in three days. Federal deposit was 7/7 but I think it was delayed a bit due to a large deduction on Schedule A.

Filed 3/15. Refund amount listed on my IRS account. The website won't give me any information about the status of my refund-I put in the SSN, filing status and refund amount and it says I may not have put in the information correctly. I tried my SSN and DH's SSN. Didn't work. I tried calling, and the automated system says sorry, we cannot give you any information.

What could be going on?

...What could be going on?

There are many possibilities.
- identity theft
- error in the data entered the return
- missing data on the return
- randomly selected for additional internal review or audit
- they sent you a notice and you haven't received it yet
- etc.

You can login to your IRS account and click on Notices and Letters to see if there's anything there.

You can also try pulling a 2022 transcript from the Tax Records section of your account if it's available. You might see something in the Record of Account transcript that shows the IRS changed your 2022 return in some way.

If the transcript isn't available and there's no pending notice, then there's no information to be had, and the only thing to do is keep waiting while their process grinds on. If you haven't heard anything by the end of May, you could contact the Taxpayer Advocate Service.

In my IRS account, it shows the refund amount. All the data is correct on the return. We've had the same tax accountant for 24 years. We haven't moved, nothing has changed.

Where's my refund says the following:

"You may not have entered your information correctly. Please verify your personal tax data and try again."

Maybe it's been flagged for review. But it shouldn't say I didn't enter the data correctly. The refund amount is on the IRS website when I log in. I tried to call but I get nowhere.

I filed yesterday and it was accepted today (17th April). Now waiting for the refund which it says will be 2 to 3 weeks.

Filed Federal and state today. Mom's estate return to state filed early March. Still waiting for refund for Mom's 2021 return.

Filed 3/24/23.

State refund received 03/29/23.

Federal refund status lookup on 4/12/23: "Scheduled for 4/14/23" and expect available a few days after. Checked bank morning of 4/13/23 and found deposited and available already.

My refund is finally approved and scheduled to be sent to my bank tomorrow.

In my IRS account, it shows the refund amount. All the data is correct on the return. We've had the same tax accountant for 24 years. We haven't moved, nothing has changed.

Where's my refund says the following:

"You may not have entered your information correctly. Please verify your personal tax data and try again."

Maybe it's been flagged for review. But it shouldn't say I didn't enter the data correctly. The refund amount is on the IRS website when I log in. I tried to call but I get nowhere.

Did you check the Notices and Letters section of your IRS account? Were you able to get a transcript of your 2022 data?

Filed 3/15. Refund amount listed on my IRS account. The website won't give me any information about the status of my refund-I put in the SSN, filing status and refund amount and it says I may not have put in the information correctly. I tried my SSN and DH's SSN. Didn't work. I tried calling, and the automated system says sorry, we cannot give you any information.

What could be going on?
Did you change anything from last year?
I can't remember if it was my State or the Federal return but a few years ago I used a different phone number from the one I usually use, not sure why I thought it was a good idea at the time but I did. That simple change triggered something and they just sat on it for months never showing as approved till I finally was able to talk to someone who approved it immediately. They made no attempt to contact me about the issue at all.

Kudos to the Connecticut Department of Revenue Services. I sent my paper return by certified mail on 4/3 and they received it on 4/4. They cut a check for my refund on 4/13 and it arrived in my mailbox today, 4/21. I am very pleased with their work, and I sent them an email to thank them (I'm sure they mostly get complaints).

Last edited:
Well, I just checked "Where's My Refund". Good news is, its scheduled for Friday. Bad news is, it for over $1,000 less than I filed for.

I used TurboTax, so a math error is unlikely. Does anyone know if the IRS will follow up with an explanation?

FWIW, I have already received my state refund, and it was exactly as submitted on my taxes.

Well, I got the IRS explanation letter today. Somebody transposed 2 numbers when inputting estimated payments:facepalm: No way TurboTax can catch a dumb user input, so the blame is squarely on me.

As expected, the IRS was correct. I am actually quite pleased with how fast they processed the refund, even with the error, and how quickly I got the follow-up letter to explain.

Well, I got the IRS explanation letter today. Somebody transposed 2 numbers when inputting estimated payments:facepalm: No way TurboTax can catch a dumb user input, so the blame is squarely on me.

As expected, the IRS was correct. I am actually quite pleased with how fast they processed the refund, even with the error, and how quickly I got the follow-up letter to explain.
"Somebody" is usually the same person you reference when you are "asking for a friend."

I'm still waiting on my refund.

I filed on March 15 electronically through H&R Block tax program. The IRS "accepted" the return on March 15. I have called the IRS 3 times, each time they indicated that is was forwarded to another department and it could take some time, they are understaffed, it's taking longer than normal, watch the mail for a letter asking for more info, keep checking the online status, bla bla bla. They couldn't or wouldn't tell me what the problem is. I surmised that it was due to a large tax credit for a sizable solar array installed on my home. Due to that 30% refund the refund amount would be in excess of 10K. maybe they flagged the return due to the large size?

I never received any follow up or notification from the IRS but today when I checked online on the IRS get refund status website it has changed from "accepted "to " approved" with text indicating a check will be mailed within the next 3 days. I'm not sure why a check would be mailed when I asked for electronic transfer to my bank account as usual on the 1040 form. The amount they show is $247 more than what the refund should be , I'm assuming this is interest for the late refund? They paid me some interest years ago when I received a late refund after my identity was stolen and I had to refile with a paper return that took over 6 months for them to approve.

My solar array went live in Dec 2022 if I was sure it would be live in 2022 I would have adjusted my estimated 2022 payments to account for the refund.

Hopefully I'll finally receive my money soon.

If we’re due a refund I apply it to the next years taxes, my April quarterly will be met.

that's a good idea that in retrospect I should have done.

I finally did receive my refund today 8/21/23 via us mailed check, only 22.5 weeks since filing! Why they sent a check instead of electronic transfer I don't know. They also never gave me a reason why the refund was delayed but they did pay me interest for the late refund. 2.25% interest for 5 months

We’re still waiting for ours from early
April. They are so far behind that I’m not even going to check until it reaches 180 days.

My state ACA portal had to correct my 1095A so I’m thinking the IRS computers got totally confused since, of course, the updated form didn’t have the “corrected” box checked.

Still waiting on mine from state and Fed, I had to file paper vs electronic.
I tried to check online but cant get pass the identity check.

A friend called last week to let me know the IRS was finally sending the refund for the paper return I filed in Mar 2021 for his mother who died in Jan 2020. He had sold his house but the new owners sent the letter from the IRS to his new home. That only took 2.5 years!

Back
Top Bottom