Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Kaderli's 90% S&P Portfolio
Old 10-08-2008, 11:36 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Kaderli's 90% S&P Portfolio

Billy and Akaisha have not posted here in a while.

I wonder if they are still 90% S&P Index Fund now? Pretty gutsy if they have stayed the course. I think I read that Billy went partly to cash during the 2000 wreck.

For those few here who do not know who the Kaderli's are you can check them out here:

Retire Early Lifestyle
Hydroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2008, 02:46 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The market is still above it last low on March 11 2003. The S&P 500 index closed at 800.73. Which was about 51% of the previous peak. It took 7 years to recover.

They got through that OK.

If they have 10% in cash... between that and the dividends from the stock portfolio, their expenses are probably covered for several years.

They have a fairly low budget. I would not be surprised if the cash and dividends would enable them to live and not sell stock for 8 years or so.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 05:00 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydroman View Post
Billy and Akaisha have not posted here in a while.
They're busy getting re-acquainted with Chapala, but if you send them a PM with a link to this thread they'll probably respond in a few days... if they're not already updating or writing a new article for their website.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 04:26 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yes, we are holding on. After today's drop the S&P is down 42% from its high. Although I have long believed that there was an over supply of housing, I missed the banking issues that we are now dealing with. I doubt that I am alone. To say the least, this is ugly.

As Nords noted, we are in Mexico where we both are busier than we would like to be. Akaisha was trained in Thai massage while we were in Thailand and is now teaching Mexican ladies at the tennis courts so that we can keep the players injury free or at least get them back on the courts quickly. I took on a project that was lingering which is to put lighting on the two courts I built. Both of these ventures are very time consuming but we believe will they benefit the community once completed. Besides this we both play tennis 4-5 times per week.

The silver lining in all of this financial mess is that since we've been in Mexico, the Dollar has gained 30% on the Peso. Since our rent is priced in Pesos as well as food, transport etc. things are 30% less expensive.

At least we can eat rice and beans.

Billy
Old 10-09-2008, 04:52 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy View Post
Yes, we are holding on. After today's drop the S&P is down 42% from its high. Although I have long believed that there was an over supply of housing, I missed the banking issues that we are now dealing with.
apparently it was an over supply of money.

i love their explanation because it is something i can picture. according to this "global pool of money," it took several centuries to get to us$35 trillion and then over the course of 6 years (2000-2006), the world of investments suddenly got another $35 trillion because “a lot of countries that used to be poor, that had no real savings, suddenly became rich.”

brazil, india, china made what the west wanted. those countried banked profits and then invested twice as much money as the world had. it found a patsy in the u.s. housing market. picture filling a balloon with more air than it can handle without stretching it out first. pop!

i don't know which is a worse way to view it. the usa as perpetrator or as patsy.

either way, enjoy mexico. send me a taco.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 06:20 PM   #6

That was a great link, thanks lazy!

I wish they'd continued the story a little further, but I'll start another thread for that...

WM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 09:59 AM   #7

Lazy,
Here's your order...Enjoy, Billy

Old 10-11-2008, 12:32 PM   #8

mmmmm. thinly sliced tofu tacos. looks delicious. thank you :-)~

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
Old 10-12-2008, 03:12 AM   #9

delicious looking!!!

Lazy.. stop with the "too much money"!!.. if there were really too much money people would be paying off their mortgages and putting money into banks and stocks, etc., not taking it out. Instead, there has been too much debt.
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 08:58 AM   #10

ladel, my comment about an over supply of money was just a cute response to billy's comment of "an over supply of housing" while keeping in mind both your very own referenced video of leverage inherent in the capitalist banking system ($100 loaned for each $10 deposited) and the notion of developing & highly populated countries coming into their own in an already taxed system. just a quick & reflexive response, not an economic treatise. it was meant only as a comment on what wetted the appetite; it was not meant to digest the entirety of events as they have since been upchucked nor to the quality of the harvest, nor to characterize the fertility of the field into which such seeds were blown.

just because the initial push is not the final cause of the disaster at the bottom of a hill from where a boulder has just come crashing down, does not absolve the initial push of money looking for places to invest.