Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-20-2018, 01:29 AM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

as 2008/9 I took out about 2k just in case. I just keep a few bucks that happen to be in my wallet now.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2018, 05:59 AM   #82

A stash of cash is good for emergencies when hurricanes, earthquakes, tornadoes, etc. get bad in your area but does not affect the entire country. Any major damage to the economy and you may want to buy a lot of dried beans and rice. Money may not be the preferred medium of exchange.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 06:14 AM   #83
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
A stash of cash is good for emergencies when hurricanes, earthquakes, tornadoes, etc. get bad in your area but does not affect the entire country. Any major damage to the economy and you may want to buy a lot of dried beans and rice. Money may not be the preferred medium of exchange.

Cheers!
Dried beans and rice and figure out where you are going to get water and how you are going to boil water to cook them in!
Old 08-20-2018, 06:18 AM   #84
Give me a forum ...

^That's why I like canned beans and minute rice for such emergencies. Water is easy to get from the local ponds. We have camping stuff including water filters, camp stoves, camp fuel, so warming up a can of beans and cooking rice a few minutes (not tens of mintues) is trivial.

However, I will admit that we have never had to cook food despite power outages lasting a week. For Ike, Rita, and Harvey, we sheltered in place then left. For Sandy where I was trapped in NY while travelling, I was fortunate to be in a place that served as the meeting point for first responders and all meals were free. For the tornado that destroyed the neighborhood, nearby fast food places gave away free food to the victims.

My biggest worry is fire through the area. We're getting out ahead of time if we can.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 06:36 AM   #85

A Benjamin in my cell phone case most always. A few grand in the house.

Lots of camping gear to help when SHTF. Of course, a fully stocked wine fridge. We've had hurricanes, snow/ice storms where we used that stuff. Definitely more useful than cash. A bunch of guns we can use to help retain the aforementioned.
Old 08-20-2018, 06:49 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
True, and in a postapocalyptic world, guns might be valuable but I wouldn't trade mine! And precious metals might just be pretty shiny bricks....

That's why I have a liquor cache. Even if people start distilling moonshine, I'll bet these would be worth something in trade:

(Seriously though, it's just because when I see a really good price on something we like, why not buy a few years worth? It's not like it'll ever go bad. Also, note the porcelain water filter in the back, recommended by friends who served in the Peace Corps.)
Old 08-20-2018, 07:01 AM   #87
Administrator

I keep $2K (or so) in cash, done this for many years, and have had to dig into it more than once. Even when we travel, I bring along extra cash.

The first real use was in '89 in Venezuela when we were under martial law for 3 days and stores only took cash. Many more opportunities followed, and this was our "training ground". Hurricane Wilma left us without power for 2 weeks, and it was cash only then. That was exciting.

I probably have a couple of hundred $$ in multiple foreign currencies, left over from travel, each not enough to exchange or discovered in my briefcase after a trip.

In the early '00's we traveled regularly to Venezuela, and I always had a couple of '000's in local currency. We stopped going, I still had that cash and was unable to use it, so there it sits, now worth at least US $0.01 - $0.02. Or maybe twice that.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 07:10 AM   #88
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz investor View Post
under the carpet is not good for paper notes ( stains and water damage ) i have not tested the polymer notes in the same place .

near HOT appliances is not a great idea either but might work for coins .

vary hiding places ( more than one ) should fit various needs quick emergencies .. something that needs immediate cash recovery , and 'rainy day ' where you might take say up to an hour to recover the cash ( normally a larger amount stored )

I read an article on places to hide cash. Many I might forget I had it there. One example I definitely had not thought of was unscrewing light switch covers and shoving it in there. The doorbell ring cover box was another one.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 07:36 AM   #89
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormy Kromer View Post
Usually about $250 is all I keep in cash.

I have accumulated about 400 oz. of silver bullion coins. They're locked in a gun safe.

Rather than keeping a lot of cash on hand, I try to keep the items on hand that I would need to use the cash on.
+1. I’m within $50 and maybe 40oz. of Stormy. I only have a couple weeks of food in the house and maybe 3 days of bottled water, and I think that would be with strict rationing. But we have one of those survival, camping straws that can (slowly) purify up to 20 gallons of water. I’d get more of those before stockpiling pallets of water bottles.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:03 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Dried beans and rice and figure out where you are going to get water and how you are going to boil water to cook them in!

If water is unavailable then you are going to die anyway in a few days.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 01:04 PM   #91
Recycles dryer sheets

Always keep a few weeks of rice and beans in the pantry, store plenty of water in the holding tank, about $5k in the gun safe as well as a loaded firearm.....one in the safe, one outside.
Just because it hasn’t happened doesn’t mean it never will.
Gallaher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 01:17 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
One example I definitely had not thought of was unscrewing light switch covers and shoving it in there. The doorbell ring cover box was another one.
Being an ex-refrigeration tech I always thought a good place to hide cash would be inside the refrigerator or freezer, between the inner "tub" where the food is and the insulation. One has to know how to get the plastic trim off and on without breaking it though.

Make sure to tell the spouse or SO about that one, I doubt many would think to look there!
Old 08-20-2018, 01:24 PM   #93
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
+1 on the 1911's. I have 2 series 70's Gold Cups. Looks like they could both be NIB's, except I do shoot them from time to time. Pic's on request!
I love that weapon. A friend of mine has one- got to take it to the range 1x. Beautiful 1911
erkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 03:13 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
I read an article on places to hide cash. Many I might forget I had it there. One example I definitely had not thought of was unscrewing light switch covers and shoving it in there. The doorbell ring cover box was another one.
The legs of an ironing board work well. In a burglary, ironing boards rank fairly low. Big, bulky, and worth zero at most pawn shops.
Old 08-20-2018, 06:17 PM   #95
Moderator Emeritus

I just checked with DW. She keeps around $100 in ones in the house for whenever she wants to go to exercise class. Not sure if this can be considered emergency cash though.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 06:30 PM   #96
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Being an ex-refrigeration tech I always thought a good place to hide cash would be inside the refrigerator or freezer, between the inner "tub" where the food is and the insulation. One has to know how to get the plastic trim off and on without breaking it though.

Make sure to tell the spouse or SO about that one, I doubt many would think to look there!

That is true. At least if you stuffed the money in a wall or ceiling the second or third generation homeowners of the homestead may get an unexpected bonus. But there is a good chance in the fridge it may never get spent, ha.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 07:34 PM   #97

The $150 or so in my wallet, plus a couple of coffee cans of change.

Camping gear, including a stove and fuel, ten gallons of bottled water, firewood, and nonperishable food seem way more useful than cash.
Out of Steam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 07:54 PM   #98

Under $10,000 in safe. Usually $20 in pocket. Saw the necessity of cash when 85 yo MIL, DW best friend, and DW's cousin was stranded without power for 15 days. No power to pump gas in local area, other gas stations sold gas with hand pumps and cash only sales. Cash registers took cash only on crank, no access to internet, WIFI, or any thing electronic. Had to take gas with us to guarantee a return trip home with MIL, it was a real eye opener.
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 08:02 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cosmic Avenger View Post
True, and in a postapocalyptic world, guns might be valuable but I wouldn't trade mine! And precious metals might just be pretty shiny bricks....

That's why I have a liquor cache. Even if people start distilling moonshine, I'll bet these would be worth something in trade:

(Seriously though, it's just because when I see a really good price on something we like, why not buy a few years worth? It's not like it'll ever go bad. Also, note the porcelain water filter in the back, recommended by friends who served in the Peace Corps.)

And in a pinch most of that stuff can double as fuel or if the zombies are coming, pretty effective weapons when combined with a rag!
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 08:25 PM   #100
Recycles dryer sheets

I've lived in towns that have lost power for a week. Cash only at the grocery & hardware stores and gas stations.

I even experienced lost power in a high rise condo in a big city. The entire neighborhood lost power so my building of 1,000+ people all needed to buy water plus hibachis and coal to cook on the balconies. Luckily, that city was in a warm climate.

So, yeah, I keep a few hundred cash in small bills. Hidden.

So if you need to sell that Maker's Mark, I'll have cash for ya ;-)
gretah is offline   Reply With Quote