Keeping emergency cash at home

MJ

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Almost all us depend on accessing our money via the internet but what your internet is down or even worst our internet gets hacked and is down locally, statewide or even nationwide for an extended period of time so no ATM or credit card use, how much emergency cash do you have stashed in the house.

PS: To improve my emergency plan, please message me your address and location of any loose cash lying around. ;) ;) ;)

$2000 in cash. I've also got guns, so don't even think about it.

Varies from a few hundred to a few thousand. The planned minimum amount is $500 but we're not very disciplined about it.

A thousand bucks or so. Considering that I generally have 3 to 6 months of food on hand, most of a winter's worth of firewood, etc., if I need more than a thousand dollars in cash we have big enough problems that cash probably won't be much help.

Y'all made me look in my wallet just now: $6.

Maybe my wife has more, but I do not know where she keeps her cash.

I would keep several thousand in the house, but where? I can't figure out a really good place for it.

I would keep several thousand in the house, but where? I can't figure out a really good place for it.

In the small fireproof safe where I keep my computer backups. Those are more valuable to me than cash.

It varies between £50 and £200.

Almost all us depend on accessing our money via the internet but what your internet is down or even worst our internet gets hacked and is down locally, statewide or even nationwide for an extended period of time so no ATM or credit card use, how much emergency cash do you have stashed in the house.
We have had Bank of America lock our accounts for 3 weeks, so no ATM, no bill pay, no nothing. We know we can live without using money for almost a month.

We don't have any cash at home.

So rather than stashing cash, have you not bought a single thing nor spent any money for a month? Could you do it?

I still pay for many things with cash. If I drop below $500 then I go to the bank and withdraw $1000. Generally go thru about $300/mo but like to have extra for emergencies.

I usually have about $300. If something happened to make cash unavailable for an extended period of time I'm not sure how valuable cash would be. Possibly sky high, possibly worthless.

Depends how well I've played poker in the last few months.

Exactly. My gambling fund is the bulk of our cash on hand. Generally, between that, my household cash envelope and my change bucket, I’ve probably got between $500 and $1,000 cash at any point in time.

We have had Bank of America lock our accounts for 3 weeks, so no ATM, no bill pay, no nothing. We know we can live without using money for almost a month.

We don't have any cash at home.

So rather than stashing cash, have you not bought a single thing nor spent any money for a month? Could you do it?

I could not, not spend money for a month unless you’re talking just cash. I’m sure I could live on a credit card indefinitely. But if you’re saying absolutely no spending, I’d be in trouble. We eat took much perishable food and don’t really have a good stockpile of frozen and canned food in the house. Could I survive for a month, probably, but just do it for fun?, not likely.

I lived through Hurricane Ivan and countless smaller hurricanes and tropical storms.

Cash is the only medium when the power is out for a week or more and you need to keep the generator running.

During hurricane season, $2000+ in a fireproof gunsafe. Enough to keep the house running, or to head out to somewhere safe.

Last edited:
On average, about $100. I withdraw about $160 in cash every month, so I am over $100 at the start and closer to $20 near the end of the month. Not much cash to take, but when my apartment was broken into back in the mid-1990s, I had just made a $160 ATM withdrawal which got stolen.

Back
Top Bottom