Join Early Retirement Today

Ken Fisher
Old 08-02-2013, 08:56 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ken Fisher

Am I the only one who gets a letter in a big, full size white envelope every month from Ken Fisher, personally inviting me to call him to discuss my investment strategy?

The letter is always written in a folksy sort of way, and it makes it appear as if he is a local neighbor looking to help out the community with his investment advice. In reality he runs a $40B investment company, and from what I've read on the internet, I've seen more negative reviews than positive.

I don't know why I get so many letters from him. Does anyone else get his stuff, and has anyone used his firm to invest? Do they offer anything that the Vanguard/Fidelity/Schwab firms don't?
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2013, 09:10 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I get these in the mail. I just ignore it and toss it in the trash. Stayin' with Vanguard and Fidelity.
golfnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:26 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I received one this week too. I get them about 2x a year. I do not know anything about them, but based on the size and expense of the marketing packet, I feel sorry for his investors. Somebody has got to pay for all that wasted packaging and postal costs. Based on the waste factor, I bet they gouge their investors with bloated administrative fees, also.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:39 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

It is just a mass mailing ... junk.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:42 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
Do they offer anything that the Vanguard/Fidelity/Schwab firms don't?
Yes--expensive handholding of dubious value.

We spent a lot of time talking about Ken Fisher's outfit recently in this thread.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:43 AM   #6

I made the mistake of signing up to receive their free stock market report a year or two back. The report arrived and, predictably, so did the barrage of phone calls attempting to get me to switch my portfolio over to them. I took one look at the fees and decided against it. Truth be told, I wasn't really interested in them to begin with - just wanted to see their report on the state of the market. Every few weeks I received another phone call, and it took about a year before I convinced them to stop calling.

The salesguy who kept calling me sounded too much like - well, a salesguy

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:45 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I've been getting them and recycling without reading them for many years. I try to stop junk mail, but not always successful, Fisher is a case in point...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
I made the mistake of signing up to receive their free stock market report a year or two back. The report arrived and, predictably, so did the barrage of phone calls attempting to get me to switch my portfolio over to them. I took one look at the fees and decided against it. Truth be told, I wasn't really interested in them to begin with - just wanted to see their report on the state of the market. Every few weeks I received another phone call, and it took about a year before I convinced them to stop calling.

The salesguy who kept calling me sounded too much like - well, a salesguy
My same experience, EXACTLY.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:58 AM   #9

I have never received any of his junk mail. Must just be lucky though I surely get a number of other "opportunities" in my mailbox. Good thing we have these big giant blue recycle bins to put it all in.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:05 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I got on Facebook last night to check on Sarah in Mongolia's progress, and what was waiting for me but a post on my News Feed from Fisher Investments. There was also another one from Pimsleur Language software. Obviously in the 2 or 3 months since I last got on FB they've taken to spamming me with "Suggested Posts". Probably something new in their privacy settings. I can't decide whether to go through the hassle of figuring out how to stop it, or just quit going to FB completely. I'm leaning toward the latter.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:08 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
Stayin' with Vanguard and Fidelity.
+1
I can lose my money much cheaper than he can.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:17 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

The older I get, the more investing junk mail I get. I also get more of those invitations to a free lunch if I will listen to a sales pitch while I eat.

They must think that older people are easier to con. Whether or not that is the case, there sure are a lot of people out there trying very hard to separate me from my money these days.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:46 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I get too much junk mail from other sources, so I am glad I get nothing from this Fisher guy. I recall once in the 1990s I wrote a letter to the editor of my local newspaper about muni bonds and some guy from a local bond-selling outfit looked me up and called me, trying to sell me some muni bonds. I turned him down, of course, and thankfully never heard from him again.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:56 AM   #14

I received them for quite a few years untl they evidently realized I'm a lost cause.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:21 AM   #15

I get them every month.
Old 08-02-2013, 03:56 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

So glad to hear that others get the annoying junk mail. When I first retired I meet with them and they were very persistent. They were the first advisers that I demanded to see their personal brokerage statement, before doing business with them. It got rid of those guys. However, I figured it condemned me to a lifetime of junk mail..

Evidently I am not alone.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote