Join Early Retirement Today

Kiplinger's Letter: anyone subscribe?
Old 09-30-2008, 07:11 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Kiplinger's Letter: anyone subscribe?

This is the small newsletter Kiplinger prints and sells--it is NOT the magazine.
Does anyone take this? I have heard a top financial guy in this area say it was good and worth the investment per year. Yes? No?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2008, 07:22 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I had it for a short time. I thought it was basically the same info you can for free on many sites. But what do I know, I'm losing my a$$.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:24 AM   #3

They send me a free letter once in a while. As I read it, I find I already read the same information somewhere a few days or weeks prior. Not worth it. It's old news by the time you get it.

It's all public information you can find online anyway.

I'm not sure how print media stays in business anymore.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:43 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

How many yachts do the subscribers own?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 01:49 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I used to be on the distribution list for this publication during my corporate days. The 4-6 page newsletter seemed best suited to running a business than to the individual investor -IMHO
Life_is_Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 05:50 PM   #6

I've been subscribed to their monthly "Retirement Report" newsletter for a few years, and enjoy it mostly.....it's short, concise, NO ADS, most of the stuff can most likely be found elsewhere......but it's handy to get the "Cliff's Notes" version of things, plus they have updates of rules, regs, laws, etc. that may affect us retired geezers (and geezerettes). So overall, I enjoy it.....YMMV.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 08:23 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
How many yachts do the subscribers own?
When I used to read it I had a Folboat (Folding Kayaks & Folding Boats from Folbot). Does that count?
Old 09-30-2008, 08:29 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I think you've amply made my point.

You become so wealthy by reading the newsletter that all you can afford to take to the waves in is a folding boat.

Did the guys who sold you the newsletter have a better boat than you?

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:10 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I didn't say I bought it, just that I used to read it. A guy in the office used to bring it in. I'd swap him my Bottom Lines so we'd both have bathroom reading material.

However, he bought it, and as far as I know he didn't have a boat at all. S I guess you are right.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:16 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Is this another one of those "but I didnt inhale!" things?
Old 10-01-2008, 09:29 AM   #11

I was somewhat surprised that some I really respect (well, he had made millions in the market, anyway) thought so highly of the Kiplinger Letter. My experience was it was somewhat redundant and, yes, I agree, a Cliff Notes kind of letter. Just was wondering if anyone here thought it was so "great," but guess not.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:01 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Speaking generally, bull strategy newsletters work great in a bull market while bear strategy newsletters work great in a bear market. When they're working, they work well and you'll hear all about them. When they're not working...I think you stop hearing about it.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:31 AM   #13

Quote:
Speaking generally, bull strategy newsletters work great in a bull market while bear strategy newsletters work great in a bear market.
Well the solution should be obvious...I'll start a newsletter that recommends bull or bear newsletters based on the dow's most recent swing. Can't fail.
soupcxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 11:45 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

You'd have to know what the future swinging was going to be. In which case you wouldnt need a newsletter and you'd be able to have a custom built folding yacht to use as a dingy on your 150' regular yacht.
Old 10-01-2008, 03:50 PM   #15

Quote:
You'd have to know what the future swinging was going to be.
No, that's the beauty of my plan, I'll just call it "momentum" investing.
soupcxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 06:44 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupcxan View Post
Well the solution should be obvious...I'll start a newsletter that recommends bull or bear newsletters based on the dow's most recent swing. Can't fail.
You just need 100,000 subscribers to your $10/year bull newsletter (under one editor's name) and another 100,000 subscribers to your $10/year bear newsletter (under another editorial name)...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote