Join Early Retirement Today

Re: kiyosaki has reached new low - unbelievable
Old 05-05-2007, 11:24 AM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

I agree that REI isn't all Kiyosaki spins it to be, but you guys are only attacking one aspect of it. That's at best narrow-sighted. Here are some points I felt nobody really covered that make RE a viable means of investment.

-You mentioned that the actual return on RE over time is something like 2% after inflation. You are only taking into account appreciation. That'd be like ignoring the dividends on the S&P500. If you're renting, you're getting some type of cash flow generally.

-You have an opportunity with RE to create money where none existed. Short sales are a perfect example. That creation of money is a return that doesn't get captured by looking at the appreciation of the FMV of the property.

-You keep mentioning the hassle of being a landlord. You don't have to hold the property you invest in. You can always clean it up and resell it.

Now, I'm not agreeing with Kiyosaki at all. I have all of my money in Mutual Funds right now. However, I've always been interested in doing REI and may do so at some point in the next few years as I have friends who do it now. I'd never bet the farm on it though; as mentioned earlier in this thread, you can score some great returns, but you can get hit with some nasty surprises as well.

REI is just a tool to create wealth, the same as stocks are. How successful you are in it has to do with education, determination, and a small bit of luck. A fool invested in RE is just as bad as a fool invested in the market.
NinjaPigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2007, 12:09 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

In 1989, I rented a 1 brm apartment for $450, now in 2007 it's
costing me $560, also I was a landlord for a short time, I know
what's involved.
I'll take the low overhead, easy to liquidate, better return on
investment of stocks any day.
TJ
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 01:09 PM   #63
Moderator Emeritus

In my mind, I think that the advantage to real estate is the leverage that you have. With 10% down, you are getting 9 to 1 leverage. A margin account can only be leveraged 2 to 1.

Of course, when the market moves against you in RE, you end up upside down. In a margin account, margin calls ensure that your broker is protected.
Old 05-05-2007, 02:48 PM   #64
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssc
In my mind, I think that the advantage to real estate is the leverage that you have. With 10% down, you are getting 9 to 1 leverage. A margin account can only be leveraged 2 to 1.

Of course, when the market moves against you in RE, you end up upside down. In a margin account, margin calls ensure that your broker is protected.
The real question is : Is "leverage" really an advantage? Suppose you could margin stock 9 to 1, should you do it? I don't know he answer. I'm just asking the question.

dmpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 03:59 PM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Eh - full disclosure time: rental real estate has paid our bills and is what we will be retiring on any time now. Thanks to RE (and a few other important factors [sparkling personality]) we have a net worth higher than most of the folks we know - 'course that could be a matter of the size of the pond we're in. Rental RE is not for everyone, or even most people. Done in a profitable way which gives good value to the tenants it is a whole lot like work. Flipping RE is a nifty way of making BIG MONEY in RE - at least that's what the tv seminars say. I envy the mad skillz of Carlton Sheets, Tom Vu and his "Distress Property", and the two short fellers. Just never rolled that way. Shoot, we even did our best to get the properties paid off ASAP, using as little OPM as possible. Totally the wrong thing to do according to just about anybody. Worked out anyway. Is this a great county, or what?
Old 05-05-2007, 06:25 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

wasnt carlton sheets driven into bankruptcy following his own advice?
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 12:25 AM   #67
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmpi
The real question is : Is "leverage" really an advantage? Suppose you could margin stock 9 to 1, should you do it? I don't know he answer. I'm just asking the question.
In theory, since markets and RE trend higher, leverage should give you an advantage. However, nine to one leverage doesn't leave you much leeway, especially if you bought at the top of the market.
Old 05-06-2007, 07:11 AM   #68
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

RE is all about location, location, location .. I know a lot of people have made big $$$ from rental (or even residential) properties in California. They purchased their properties before the boom. Timing or luck does matter.

If you do not want property management but still interested in RE, you can always hire a property manager or simply invest in a REIT index fund.
Old 05-06-2007, 07:40 AM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

As the length of this thread seems to demonstrate, RE and stocks are simply very different things and you really can't make a direct comparison between them that makes a lot of sense. Being a landlord or even flipping houses is a business. Buying mutual funds is passive investing.

Owning and managing your own property is an alternative to buying a franchise, starting a business from scratch, selling stuff on eBay or even a j*b, not to investing in the stock market. RE just happens to be a business most people understand, or think they do, that is relatively easy to get into. But it is still a business.

Personally, I have done both. In the right location (CA) and time (not now), thanks to the leverage involved, RE was ridiculously profitable. But it was also a lot of work and I wouldn't do it now even if I thought I could make those kinds of returns again.
Anansi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 10:54 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki
Done in a profitable way which gives good value to the tenants it is a whole lot like work....
Shoot, we even did our best to get the properties paid off ASAP, using as little OPM as possible. Totally the wrong thing to do according to just about anybody. Worked out anyway. Is this a great county, or what?
Thanks for your honest perspective and congratulations. Your post highlights two aspects to REI, namely that being a good landlord is like having another job, and that you used the investment as a forced savings plan by paying down the mortgage asap rather than using leverage.

Such a pursuit can be very lucrative is you hold a steady job that is not too demanding. In my working life, devoting extra time to the job was the best return on my time (commissioned sales), so I was not looking for any part-time job. The"excess" commissons were invested, and the DJIA has return over 11% per year for the last 25 years.

I did one real estate flip in the early days so I realize what is involved, and all the costs and risks involved. Doing it well takes a lot of time. Definitely not a free lunch.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:53 PM   #71
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan
Thanks for your honest perspective and congratulations. Your post highlights two aspects to REI, namely that being a good landlord is like having another job, and that you used the investment as a forced savings plan by paying down the mortgage asap rather than using leverage.

Such a pursuit can be very lucrative is you hold a steady job that is not too demanding. In my working life, devoting extra time to the job was the best return on my time (commissioned sales), so I was not looking for any part-time job. The"excess" commissons were invested, and the DJIA has return over 11% per year for the last 25 years.
Besides location, location, location Leverage is the best aspect of Real Estate. Don't confuse it with being "over leverged". My returns on my three oldest properties are 20%, 26%, and 23% compounded annualy. If I had invested the same amount in the 11% DJIA at 11% I would have about $160,000. Instead I have over $1,300,000 on just these three properties and a positive cash flow.

Yes, a few years of negative cash flow (not so bad after taxes) but after a certain point on each property it's all cash to the landlord!! My plumbing disaster has been one stopped up drain that I cured by giving the tenant a $10.00 plunger. Probably a little lucky but I also chose my product so that I would have maximum return on least effort. I manage 4 of these properties from a 3K mile distance.

Conservative appreciation is about 1.5 X my annual salary. I don't understand how anyone in a high cost area can claim that they make more in the market. They must be market genisus or the worst real estate investor ever! If you're the market genius, please share.

Pay off the mortgage? Yeah, I got all midwestern a few years ago and converted to a couple of 15 year mortgages chasing the rate. I was on a pay down tear until I projected my rents and appreciation and figured I'd be better off paying a 2003 fixed mortgage with my tenants 2020 rents!
honobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 01:28 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan

Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob
Conservative appreciation is about 1.5 X my annual salary. I don't understand how anyone in a high cost area can claim that they make more in the market. They must be market genisus or the worst real estate investor ever! If you're the market genius, please share...
Congratulations on your fortunate investment choices. What is your day job? Over how many years have you been invested in rental real estate?
Old 05-06-2007, 03:33 PM   #73
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan
Congratulations on your fortunate investment choices. What is your day job? Over how many years have you been invested in rental real estate?
Thanks!
Last twelve years I've been a guvmint worker. Took the job mainly for the medical bennies. I've been vested for over 6 years but I've created a pretty good situation for myself so may hang 5 more for the defined benefit plan. It is real estate related and I did sell real estate in college and law school but I don't think that has given me an edge in investing. There are people in my office who still didn't buy in 85 at $80K or 88 for $160 or
2000 for $250K or 2005 for $400K or 2007 for $600K+ (well you'd just be crazy to buy at $600K........or would you?) I also share in the appreciation of other properties where I came up with the down payment and they make the payments and the maintenance.

The 20% return I bought in the 70's, 26% from the 80's and 23% in the 90's. I bought in 2003 and 2004 and the return on them is so astronomical that I know they'll level out (and I'm not smart enough or Kiyosaki enough to work the BIG money) but in the 20% range seems to be the long haul rate and I can be happy with that.

I really think real estate has to be a component in WEALTH BUILDING. I may start to sell off after retirement but I may keep them and just harvest cash thru HELOC's or refi's.

Old 05-06-2007, 04:08 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

we were down 20% in the 80's in new york city and long island
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 09:53 PM   #75
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob
(and I'm not smart enough or Kiyosaki enough to work the BIG money)
So, you don't go on the Amway circuit pushing your books hoping to write one with the Donald.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:36 PM   #76
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssc
So, you don't go on the Amway circuit pushing your books hoping to write one with the Donald.
I have the book but nobody wants the turtle and I ain't the bunny but at some point I might work the bunny imagination to sell the turtle.

I wonder how many turtles were inspired by the bunny?
Old 06-12-2007, 04:14 PM   #77
Moderator Emeritus

We were all wrong. Kiyosaki was "just joking"

Of course, he now explains "the investing food chain" with broad statements like "Professional investors would rather be in a debt position -- investing with a banker's money, for instance -- simply because debt is less risky than equity." Tell Warren Buffet that.

This month's column.
bssc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 05:32 PM   #78
Recycles dryer sheets

"While the piece was written in jest, Tom made valid points about why retirement plans filled with mutual funds are risky. As expected, the reader response was both positive and negative. Some people just didn't get the joke, or couldn't learn from its absurd extremism."

Um, there's NO WAY that article was written in jest. He knew exactly what message he was giving, and only after being called out for the dirty charlatan that he is did he start to backpeddle.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:41 PM   #79
Recycles dryer sheets

I also like how he stresses that mutual funds are bad by pointing out what happens when companies go under. But he sorta forgot to mention that he was comparing a bond or stock in a single company to a basket of such things in the fund. Just a little misleading, don't ya think?

Actually, I've come to a realization. He's not lying to the general public. Rather, he actually doesn't know anything about investing. So he's telling the complete truth, but only to the depth of his knowledge.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:33 PM   #80
Moderator Emeritus

Well, by playing up the risk side of mutual funds while ignoring the rewards, he must think that he is making the case for professional real estate investing.
bssc is offline   Reply With Quote