Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-08-2019, 07:35 AM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

I would like to state that I don't mind being a landlord.
In fact I will try to get more rentals in the future.
This is my first one and having little issues up till now does not scare me off.
Ten years with one tenant, I consider a success.

As far as possibly losing money on evicting, I'll say I lost 10K in a day being in the market on multiple occasions this year alone.
Probably 10's of thousands. But that's the market, some days you make money some days you don't.

So I have learned a lesson in land lording, probably a few more to come,
but overall I'll stick with it.

There's risk in all investments.
workmyfingerstothebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2019, 07:37 AM   #62
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by workmyfingerstothebone View Post
I'm not a lawyer but this doesn't sound correct, legally.
Meeting with one today so I'll ask him the question.
Varies by state, but in general if at the time you try to evict they are "caught up" on rent you won't be able to evict no matter how late they were in the past.

You have known these people for a long time as their landlord. Sometimes it makes the most sense to use a light touch (such as telling them you are not renewing lease) before the heavy handed (evict) approach.
BeachOrCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 07:46 AM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachOrCity View Post
Varies by state, but in general if at the time you try to evict they are "caught up" on rent you won't be able to evict no matter how late they were in the past.

You have known these people for a long time as their landlord. Sometimes it makes the most sense to use a light touch (such as telling them you are not renewing lease) before the heavy handed (evict) approach.

For a m2m rental is a 60 day notice to vacate the same as a non-renewal for a lease?
The 3 day notice to pay to quit was just to have rent paid. No eviction if they paid on the 1st.

The 60 day notice was my equivalent of a non-renewal.
If there is a better way to do this i am all for it.
The prior month I verbally stated no more late rent, rent due on the first.

Maybe I should have gotten it in writing.
landlord seeking help
Old 10-08-2019, 08:17 AM   #64
gone traveling

landlord seeking help

Verbal is irrelevant

This thread is a great endorsement for using professional property management
nancyfrank232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 08:37 AM   #65
gone traveling

Ducky911 has some good points you may want to look at his recommendations again.

I've been a landlord for 15+ years with 8 properties, one of my "favorite" tenants was one that almost always paid late the first few months were a little stressful but after that it was nice getting an extra $150-200 for nothing.

Look at this as a business and don't get your feelings involved, every time I have a tenant move out it costs me a minimum of $1000 between down time and repairs.

If I were in your shoes I would ask them if they wanted to stay if they did I would rescind the 60 day notice and have them sign a new month to month lease and let them know the rent is going up by $100 and so are the late fees(as long as they are taking care of the property).

Most people here either don't have rentals or couldn't handle being a landlord so be careful with the advice that you act on.
SmallCityDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 08:50 AM   #66

Quote:
For a m2m rental is a 60 day notice to vacate the same as a non-renewal for a lease?
The 3 day notice to pay to quit was just to have rent paid. No eviction if they paid on the 1st.

The 60 day notice was my equivalent of a non-renewal.
If there is a better way to do this i am all for it.
The prior month I verbally stated no more late rent, rent due on the first.

Maybe I should have gotten it in writing.
Again, Varies by state AND municipality. I know squat about CA.
My state does not allow ending even a m2m lease unless certain conditions are met (owner moving back in, drug arrest at property, etc); BUT it does allow raising the rent if the unit is not subject to rent control.

When you give notice, you should give notice multiple ways incl one that is provable (certified US mail). Again, some places specify how you have to do this. In my state formal notice has to include a spanish version.

You don't have to have a lawyer, DO this, but IMHO you are exposing yourself to unneeded risk if you don't pay for some legal advice before YOU DO this.

(And see my other post about maybe a light handed approach. It seems like you are sending the tenant mixed signals "don't pay late anymore" while at the same time you are considering eviction).

Do you want them to stay (if they start paying on time) or not?
BeachOrCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 08:58 AM   #67

Quote:
It amazes me how people become "entitled" when a good deed is done for them.
They havent become entitled. You've trained them to become this way. After the 1st time they were late, you should have been firm with them, and you werent. No one to blame but yourself.

Like others said, pay someone else to manage your property. That way, you wont have to deal with things like this.
ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 09:17 AM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallCityDave View Post
Ducky911 has some good points you may want to look at his recommendations again.

I've been a landlord for 15+ years with 8 properties, one of my "favorite" tenants was one that almost always paid late the first few months were a little stressful but after that it was nice getting an extra $150-200 for nothing.

Look at this as a business and don't get your feelings involved, every time I have a tenant move out it costs me a minimum of $1000 between down time and repairs.

If I were in your shoes I would ask them if they wanted to stay if they did I would rescind the 60 day notice and have them sign a new month to month lease and let them know the rent is going up by $100 and so are the late fees(as long as they are taking care of the property).

Most people here either don't have rentals or couldn't handle being a landlord so be careful with the advice that you act on.

Yes, lots of advice.

I'll have a better feel for this after discussing with attorney.

No charge for initial consultation.
Old 10-08-2019, 10:23 AM   #69
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
They havent become entitled. You've trained them to become this way. After the 1st time they were late, you should have been firm with them, and you werent. No one to blame but yourself.

Think about it this way, workmyfingerstothebone: you know the saying "actions speak louder than words"? You were telling them with your words that you wanted the rent on time, but you were telling them with your actions that you would accept it late, with consequences that they could live with. I've had to work hard at learning this lesson, because I'm very much a "say what you mean, mean what you say" kind of person, so I used to find it baffling when I would say there would be consequences and people protested. Managing the expectations of others is a complicated, messy pain, but in the end it can save you a LOT of time, money, and grief.

Good luck, workmyfingerstothebone!
Old 10-08-2019, 04:42 PM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

Just raise the late fee to the point your happy when they are late. I had a hundred twenty some rentals at one time and my late fee was 20%. It was the same approach I used when dealing with smokers. In 1996 I bought Philip Morris stock so the smoke didn’t bother me as much. Unfortunately most of those smokers have died from lung cancer by now.
Arizona1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 10:52 PM   #71
Dryer sheet wannabe

Landlording is a business. In 2014, I sold a commercial property and needed to find 1031 exchange possibilities. What I learned in talking to potential sellers is that very few ran their properties like a business.

I bought 10 properties in a short period of time. I knew immediately that a couple tenants would need to leave. I gave one Tenant $300 cash for keys. The other I went through the legal process. Now, I’m very particular (legally) about who I accept. Included in my move-in package is a sample eviction notice which they must initial. The new tenant and I usually have a little laugh, but I tell them that if they don’t pay by the 5th the notice will be on their front door on the 6th … so don’t call yelling and asking what it is! This is as much psychological as anything. Now, I rarely have a late pay. If I do, the late payment is included … no questions asked. Hey, that’s how large apartment complexes are managed. Us small guys have a business too. Sad stories don’t work with me, “my car’s transmission is out” doesn’t work. I’m not their bank but I am very fair and equal to all tenants. Unit repairs are usually made within 24 hours if possible and landscaping kept in “I love my place” condition. I even try to get HVAC units repaired on the weekend if weather is miserable. I want the type tenant who respects property and pays rent on time.

I’m guessing you’ve gone so far with this tenant that you may need a new one to get away from the frustrations you mentioned, but that’s your call. Oh, and I only except payments via direct deposit as a policy for new tenants. So, I don’t deal with the “I mailed it last week” either. Lastly, it's best to keep the landlord-tenant relationship on a cordial business -like relationship. That’s my best advice.

FinBiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:37 PM   #72

IMHO people might want to check their state laws before recommending such high late fees.

IIRC here late fee is limited to $20, no interest charges allowed.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:42 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinBiz View Post
Landlording is a business. In 2014, I sold a commercial property and needed to find 1031 exchange possibilities. What I learned in talking to potential sellers is that very few ran their properties like a business.

I bought 10 properties in a short period of time. I knew immediately that a couple tenants would need to leave. I gave one Tenant $300 cash for keys. The other I went through the legal process. Now, I’m very particular (legally) about who I accept. Included in my move-in package is a sample eviction notice which they must initial. The new tenant and I usually have a little laugh, but I tell them that if they don’t pay by the 5th the notice will be on their front door on the 6th … so don’t call yelling and asking what it is! This is as much psychological as anything. Now, I rarely have a late pay. If I do, the late payment is included … no questions asked. Hey, that’s how large apartment complexes are managed. Us small guys have a business too. Sad stories don’t work with me, “my car’s transmission is out” doesn’t work. I’m not their bank but I am very fair and equal to all tenants. Unit repairs are usually made within 24 hours if possible and landscaping kept in “I love my place” condition. I even try to get HVAC units repaired on the weekend if weather is miserable. I want the type tenant who respects property and pays rent on time.

I’m guessing you’ve gone so far with this tenant that you may need a new one to get away from the frustrations you mentioned, but that’s your call. Oh, and I only except payments via direct deposit as a policy for new tenants. So, I don’t deal with the “I mailed it last week” either. Lastly, it's best to keep the landlord-tenant relationship on a cordial business -like relationship. That’s my best advice.
Exactly. In 2009 I closed on a 4-plex on a Friday, on Monday AM I file two evictions.

One of the evictions was a woman with stage-4 terminal cancer. She got the boot, and was dead within six months.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:02 PM   #74
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
.... One of the evictions was a woman with stage-4 terminal cancer. She got the boot, and was dead within six months.
Something to brag about, eh?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:15 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Something to brag about, eh?
If you are not prepared to do that, you are not prepared to be a landlord.

It doesn't bother me a bit. It's not my job to provide free rent to anyone.

I am getting ready to kick a single mom out of an apartment because she cannot control her 10-year old kid. Maybe you want to help her with moving costs and a deposit at the new place?
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Old 10-09-2019, 10:35 PM   #76

Quote:
Exactly. In 2009 I closed on a 4-plex on a Friday, on Monday AM I file two evictions.

One of the evictions was a woman with stage-4 terminal cancer. She got the boot, and was dead within six months.

This post makes me physically sick to my stomach.
Old 10-09-2019, 10:37 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
This post makes me physically sick to my stomach.
It's too bad you were not there, you could have provided the $4K that she was behind in rent.

How much have you donated to any worthy causes recently?

My recommendation to you is to never be a landlord.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:43 AM   #78
Recycles dryer sheets

@Senator

Wow, those are some tough decisions you made.
It is an unfortunate part of the job.

Being a LL, I understand where you are coming from.
Our tenants were almost 30 days late with another months rent almost due.
If they don't pay then it's a minimum of 2 months to get them out.

So, that's almost 5K, probably closer to 6K because it would more likely to take over 2 months to move them out.
And that does not include the court costs.

I wonder how many renters can take a 6K hit to their bottom line?
Old 10-10-2019, 08:19 AM   #79

Have a few rentals - have a rental company and watch them.

If they have consistent late issue, they charge fee ... we benefit. If the tenant starts becoming inconsistent, they are history.
stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 08:21 AM   #80
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If you are not prepared to do that, you are not prepared to be a landlord. ...
Actually I am a landlord. And I agree that you need to be consistent in addressing tenants who don't pay, but in the circumstances that you described I wouldn't be as gleeful about it as you seem to be.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote