Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Larry Swedroe on Diversification
Old 07-16-2020, 05:48 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Larry Swedroe on Diversification

If you're wondering why you have a diversified portfolio while watching the S&P 500 soar over the past few years, Larry Swedroe gives you a history lesson & some encouragement to stay the course

https://seekingalpha.com/article/435...t-like-results
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2020, 06:55 PM   #2

Well, I have come to like investments that do well in different market environments and having a portfolio like that is easier said than done. So as a result I hold index funds, bond funds, some reits, balanced funds and some cash.

I am not promoting one way over another as everyone is different and has different needs. I am happy with what I have done and I sleep pretty well and I have enough income. I have also tried to position my investments where if things get ugly I don't lose my shirt.

It is not widely known, but plenty of investors got killed investing in the 2X etracs. One guy I read about lost 800K during the pandemic stock meltdown in March. Poor guy. If only he had known. So I try to have investments that will survive even in the worst of times and that doesn't include over leveraged investments.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 09:18 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Two points in the article which stand out for me are:

Quote:
... one of the most common and costly mistakes even smart investors make is thinking that when it comes to judging the performance of risky assets, three years is a long time, five years is a very long time, and 10 years is an eternity. That is simply wrong.
and

Quote:
The lesson I hope investors take away is that concentrating risk in a U.S. market portfolio, while eliminating the tracking variance problem, is the riskier strategy because it puts all your risks in one risk basket.
I know that the results of the last 12 years have a greater impression on me than longer periods. Now where are the returns for the next 12 years stored?
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 04:24 AM   #4

Yep, Larry is one of the good guys! The best way I've found to avoid any sort of tracking error regret is to simply not track anything but my portfolio and to not compare it against any benchmark. The only thing that matters is whether my long term goals are being met by what I'm doing. Might there be another portfolio that would get me there faster or result in a larger dollar amount? Sure, there's always another portfolio better than the one you have, but you have no way of knowing that in advance. Conversely, there's always another portfolio that is worse than what you have.

Figure how how you want to diversify, put together your plan, stick to it and ignore everything else. If, occasionally, you must peek at what sort of short term performance others might be experiencing, remind yourself the reasons you put together the portfolio you have in the first place. Helps some people to put together an Investment Policy Statement as sort of a contract to yourself.

There are many roads to Dublin.

Cheers
big-papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 04:34 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I know that the results of the last 12 years have a greater impression on me than longer periods. Now where are the returns for the next 12 years stored?
+1
Old 07-20-2020, 02:38 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

I greatly admire and respect Larry Swedroe but think that this post of his portrays market history as cyclical when that’s not always the case. There’s been a major shift since 2007 that’s been launched into warp speed by the pandemic.

This NYT article is the best of several recent pieces I’ve read in showing why small caps and value may not get their day in the sun anytime soon.

http://https://www.nytimes.com/2020/...us-stocks.html
kevink is offline   Reply With Quote