Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-20-2021, 01:34 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomatlast View Post
I mailed our return in March and it still isn't showing up in the IRS system. I've called about it twice. The second time the agent told me not to worry (in other words, stop calling in about it), they had records of both my calls, that there were rooms still full of unprocessed 2019 returns, and not to expect a change in status anytime soon. Your tax dollars at work. Can't imagine any MegaCorp operating this way.
It makes me less worried to hear about all the paper filers who are still waiting to even get their tax forms acknowledged as received. I mailed mine in March 1, 2021 for a refund of $600. Every time I check 'where's my refund' it says 'no information'. Haven't checked for a month, though. Actually forgot about it, lol.
John Galt III is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2021, 02:47 AM   #42

The irs site finally says that my refund is still processing. It only took 2.5 months for them to acknowledge receiving it. Took them long enough!
NgineER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 05:01 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

I finally got my 2019 refund after 14 months.
sturbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 09:12 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Our significant (sized) Fed refund hit our bank acct. less than a month after e-file - and we filed in early April. No idea how "normal" that would be so YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 12:16 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by NgineER View Post
The irs site finally says that my refund is still processing. It only took 2.5 months for them to acknowledge receiving it. Took them long enough!
Processing complete a month later and we will be getting $35 more than my calculations said. Thank you - I'll take that. Payment posted in my account the same day it said it was sent.

This will mean that we will get the full stimulus for 2020 as well.
Late federal refund?
Old 07-06-2021, 06:11 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Late federal refund?

Pretty hot today. IRS says they don’t have our return. Last month they said it would take awhile since we filed Form 4852 due to incorrect 1099r that the bank would/could not correct. They sent IRS a letter instead which made matters worse. There is no way in #%?!! IRS can possibly track IRA transfers and rollovers and correction/substitute form process is a joke. Really irks me they don’t acknowledge any backlog. The refund is tiny.

I came here looking for that special number to reach a live rep.
Old 07-07-2021, 10:39 AM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.

We efiled in March. Big refund is due for us for a change and still no sign of refund being processed. I welcome the 3% interest but - When do they pay interest from April 15? Or May 17?
urn2bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 11:30 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by urn2bfree View Post
We efiled in March. Big refund is due for us for a change and still no sign of refund being processed. I welcome the 3% interest but - When do they pay interest from April 15? Or May 17?
April 15th
Old 08-11-2021, 12:22 PM   #49

I checked my bank account today and SURPRISE! our Fed refund is there! I e-filed on 4/11/21. I had been checking "Where's My Refund" periodically but I hadn't checked this week.

I was expecting $1264 and the deposit is $1391.20. Sure, there may be a bit of interest since it's 4 months late but $127 more looks like more than just interest. So I checked "Where's My Refund" and found some info.

"We made changes to your tax return that changed the amount of your refund.
You will receive a notice that explains the changes we made to your tax return. You should receive your notice and the balance of your refund, $1,391.20, by August 18, 2021.
For more details about the changes we made to your tax return, please select the "Details" button."

The DETAILS button goes to -

"We changed the amount of taxable social security benefits on your tax return because there was an error in the computation of the taxable amount. NOTE:Publication 915, Social Security and Equivalent Railroad Retirement Benefits, provides additional information related to computing your taxable Social Security Benefits. Please read the following information related to your tax situation:
  • Tax Topic 423 - Social Security and Equivalent Railroad Retirement Benefits
  • Form 1040 Instructions - See Instructions for Income, Social Security Benefits.
  • Understanding Your IRS Notice"
AhHa! This is something I dealt with when I filed. I had Social Security income last year. I also had Unemployment income over the excluded amount of $10,200. (For those of you who are unfamiliar with Unemployment income, it's always taxable, but due to the 2020 pandemic the first $10,200 is excluded. This is equal to the extra Fed amount of $600 for 17 weeks.) I waited to file the taxes until after the IRS decided how to handle the exclusion. I used FreeTaxUsa and when I looked at the filled out worksheet for figuring out how much of your SS was taxable, using the reduced amount of Unemployment, I was in that small bracket of having less than 85% of the SS being taxable. But on FreeTaxUsa it showed the full amount of Unemployment being used to calculate the taxable SS on the worksheet.

So I messaged them through their website and got a response right away -

"The new unemployment exclusion will not change the taxable amount of your social security income. For the exclusion, we are required to use the new, updated instructions from the IRS, which can be located at:

https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/new-exclusion-of-up-to-10200-of-unemployment-compensation

Note that it says,

"When figuring the following deductions or exclusions from income, if you are asked to enter an amount from Schedule 1, line 7 enter the total amount of unemployment compensation reported on line 7 (unreduced by any exclusion amount) and if you are asked to enter an amount from Schedule 1, line 8, enter the amount from line 3 of the Unemployment Compensation Exclusion Worksheet. "

After this paragraph, you'll see a list of deductions that apply. "Taxable social security benefits" are listed first.

The instructions state specifically that the full amount of your unemployment compensation should be used to determine your taxable social security benefits."

I thanked them for the quick response and for the link to the actual IRS rule. Makes sense, I'm fine with that. I filed using my entire unemployment income for the SS worksheet, which resulted in 85% of my SS being taxable.

Has the IRS revisited the issue of how the Unemployment Exclusion is applied to the SS taxable calculation? Using the entire Unemployment income 85% of my SS was taxable. After excluding the $10,200 only 74.2% is taxable. And the difference in tax is $114.

Hmmm... I hope the letter explains that. I should get it within a week.

The change is in our favor so I'm not questioning it or complaining. Just glad to finally have the refund.
Old 08-11-2021, 03:00 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
... Has the IRS revisited the issue of how the Unemployment Exclusion is applied to the SS taxable calculation? Using the entire Unemployment income 85% of my SS was taxable. After excluding the $10,200 only 74.2% is taxable. And the difference in tax is $114.

Hmmm... I hope the letter explains that. I should get it within a week.

The change is in our favor so I'm not questioning it or complaining. Just glad to finally have the refund.
Yes, the IRS changed their interpretation of the law and lots of tax software was implemented with the first interpretation, so they are fixing returns as they find them. Here's an article that explains the timeline: https://www.currentfederaltaxdevelop...t-compensation

Quote:
On March 12, 2021, the IRS provided updated instructions on their website for preparing returns that have excludable unemployment compensation.[1] However, on March 23, 2021 the IRS made a significant change in those instructions.[2]

Originally the IRS instructions had taxpayers include the unemployment compensation in determining the modified AGI (reading “without regard to this section” in IRC §85(c)(2)(B) to mean without regard to the exclusion at IRC §85(c)) but now they have decided that means without regard to any unemployment compensation covered by §85.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 09:13 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

IRS says they didn’t get our return. We had to paper file and I decided not to pay extra for tracking.
Old 08-12-2021, 06:49 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermike40 View Post
I received emails on February 23rd stating my federal return was accepted, and my refund was "on the way" (per H&R Block). I checked again today... still nothing in my bank account, and irs.gov says my return is still being processed.

I understand with Covid, stimulus checks, etc they are behind on many returns. Has anyone else had theirs delayed this long (six weeks)?
NO Got mine in usual time

2 yrs in a row had problems with my state return after looking into it turns out after the "on the way" email they run a check against my address and there was an error so my money just stat there in limbo. so it could be a problem would def contact IRS Good luck
SJ1_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 03:41 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
IRS says they didn’t get our return. We had to paper file and I decided not to pay extra for tracking.

I still can't get any info on my federal return. I filed by paper in mid May.

The state site shows they received my state return, mailed the same day as my federal, but it's still processing.
GenXguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 03:58 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

This week the IRS approved our tax return filed 4/15 and refund of 13k.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 05:25 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post

Well if you can't prove that it was received, you'll likely be filing late with interest and penalties.
teej1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 06:01 PM   #56

after filing an amended return in September of 2020 for 2019 taxes I finally got a refund this week. Took a while but at least they paid me some interest.
Old 08-13-2021, 08:48 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Late federal refund?

Quote:
Originally Posted by teej1985 View Post
Well if you can't prove that it was received, you'll likely be filing late with interest and penalties.

I cannot prove it was received, but they did send letter implying it was received before the letter saying it wasn’t! I don’t think there’s any interest or penalties since I am due a refund (unless they choose to ignore documentation showing IRA funds were transferred and NOT distributed).

It was dumb for me to file paper return with no tracking. That won’t happen again. I could not efile due to the bank’s erroneous 1099.
Old 08-14-2021, 01:48 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

Progress! Mailed my paper return in mid-April. IRS website finally says my return is being processed.
FIREd_2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 03:45 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

I e-filed our simple standard deduction form April 17. IRS acknowledged receipt and status was “processing” or something like that until this morning, hallelujah! I now have a date of August 18 for the bank deposit (plus $2.03 interest!) Interestingly on April 17 I mailed my FILs paper return and his refund came in the mail less than a month later. No rhyme or reason.
ceciledian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 12:05 PM   #60

Filed paper return on 4/14. No info whatsoever on the IRS website as to status.

Surprise! We received a check yesterday, dated 8/10. So, nearly 4 months to process the return this year.

_B
Beldar is offline   Reply With Quote