Join Early Retirement Today

Late retirement: expectations vs. reality
Old 02-05-2015, 11:24 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Late retirement: expectations vs. reality

Very interesting study about the trend of planning for a late retirement vs. the reality (so far at least) that people are actually retiring earlier.

Health reasons (self or family member) and changes at work are the primary reasons while so many people ( about 50%) end up retiring earlier than they planned.

Much better to plan for an early retirement and keep open the possibility of delaying it if that is doable and desirable when you reach your planned age.

Details are here:Your Retirement Date: Expectation vs. Reality | Stites on Estates
boatfishandnature is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2015, 11:45 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Very interesting and somewhat alarming. I'm afraid of means testing in the future.
davismills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 01:25 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Adding in higher social security ages don't help either
Greencheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 01:31 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Canned at age 49. Given I(we) would have probably had to move to California or Florida to find work. Brutally downsizing budget to make ER work in New Orleans - worked well til Katrina.

One of the worst dark horse choices was Kansas.

heh heh heh - notice post Katrina - in KANSAS! - on a hill waay above the wide Missouri.

Don't tell anyone Kansas City is really a fun place to live. Who knew?
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 01:36 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

thanks for the link - indeed, most early retirements are health related
Old 02-05-2015, 02:03 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

On the health thing my attitude changed in ER. Along with cutting expenses went on a diet and exercise regimen radically changing my working lifestyle.

heh heh heh - At least on a subconscious level I must have awakened to the relationship between unplanned early retirement and health.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 02:45 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Changes in health seem to be the biggest item to upset retirement plans. I suspect the second biggest would be suddenly losing that 'last job before retirement'. Hunting for work while in one's late 50s can be hard on the pre-retiree and on their portfolio.

Other externalities of low probability that might dink about eventual retirement income pale in comparison to loss of health, or job and portfolio. (AKA people worry about the wrong things. I blame cable TV news.)
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 03:35 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
First, you should seek to fund your core (more basic) lifetime retirement needs by age 60. Savings from income earned after age 60 can fund “extras” such as travel, education funding for grandchildren, or philanthropy.

Second, decisions about paying for children’s college education shouldn’t rely on workforce participation after age 60.
Always good advice.
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote