LBYM: Do you ever barter, vice pay, for things you want?

Some of the gigs I do include a free dinner. It saves me the cost of a dinner out, and costs the restaurant only a fraction of that.

Ha wrote, I still don't understand. What is vice pay? My friend used to cut wood for any woman who would sleep with him, but I think they all considered it simple barter, not vice pay.

As I suspect you are aware, "vice" is bureaucratese for "instead of." As in, "Barter, vice [instead of] paying for." I try to keep work jargon out of my non-work life, but didn't quite succeed this time.

I consider it an honor, though, when Mr. Ha, Ha, Ha deigns to find an innuendo in my innocent posts...:cool: :LOL:

Ha wrote, I still don't understand. What is vice pay? My friend used to cut wood for any woman who would sleep with him, but I think they all considered it simple barter, not vice pay.

As I suspect you are aware, "vice" is bureaucratese for "instead of." As in, "Barter, vice [instead of] paying for." I try to keep work jargon out of my non-work life, but didn't quite succeed this time.

I consider it an honor, though, when Mr. Ha, Ha, Ha deigns to find an innuendo in my innocent posts...:cool: :LOL:

Amethyst, my knowledge of bureaucratese is nil, so I really did not know what you meant. I thought you might have meant a little low key neighborhood hooking, among friends as it were. :)

Ha

"Vice" as in "instead of" is new to me as well. I can't really see myself using it in a sentence.

Well we have a nice new neighbor. She asked me to look at her computer because I told her I was handy with em. Simple fix and she made to die for chocolate chip cookies as a thank you. If she has more computer problems I might have to do a bit more exercise. :ROFLMAO:

UK google:
Posted by Bruce Kahl on December 11, 2001
In Reply to: Visa versa posted by Steven E. Kern on December 11, 2001
: Visa versa (sp)
: I am familiar with the phrase, and how to use it within the context of a sentence, but where it came from I haven't a clue.
: Any takers?
The phrase is "vice versa" and has a Latin origin.
"Vice" means "in the place of" or "in succession to" as in "The Vice-President would act in place of the President". ( EEK! ). The root of "vice" is "vix" meaning "change".
"Versa" is a form of the Latin verb "vertere" and is a participle. "Vertere" means "to turn".
So "vice versa" means "the position being reversed".

I just did a little barter today. I picked up $10 worth of green pork chili ingredients from the local mexican supermercado (tomatillos, poblanos, jalapenos, onions, limes, and a big ole pork shoulder). My friend, who can't drive and only has access to boutiquey expensive grocery stores near where he lives, is taking these ingredients plus a couple of his own to make a huge batch of chili. I'll get close to a gallon of OMG delicious chili out of this exchange - sufficient for 8-10 big bowls probably.

It takes about 5 hours to make the chili (not all actually in the kitchen, some is waiting). But the ingredients I got for $10 would be $25-30 for my buddy where he shops. So I get homemade chili for $10 and he gets almost free chili but does all the work. So I guess in this joint venture, I'm providing the capital and he is providing the labor. :)

UK google:
Posted by Bruce Kahl on December 11, 2001
In Reply to: Visa versa posted by Steven E. Kern on December 11, 2001
: Visa versa (sp)
: I am familiar with the phrase, and how to use it within the context of a sentence, but where it came from I haven't a clue.
: Any takers?
The phrase is "vice versa" and has a Latin origin.
"Vice" means "in the place of" or "in succession to" as in "The Vice-President would act in place of the President". ( EEK! ). The root of "vice" is "vix" meaning "change".
"Versa" is a form of the Latin verb "vertere" and is a participle. "Vertere" means "to turn".
So "vice versa" means "the position being reversed".
Thanks for the explanation. Now I have a new English word and a clue as to the origin. Nice.

I thought you might have meant a little low key neighborhood hooking, among friends as it were. :)Ha

Isn't "hooking" like trying to get published as a writer:

"First you do it for a few friends, then you try to make money at it"?? :LOL:

I have worked on friends and relatives PCs for many years. I am often given beers, food, etc in exchange. Many times they give me their old machines when they upgrade. So now I have 9 or 10 PCs and laptops, a couple old Macs, and boxes of unneccesary peripherals laying around. Yard sales start in May.

Back
Top Bottom