Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-08-2017, 08:04 AM   #221
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliPepr View Post
Guess you are not the owner of this one then...
nice rig, not mine
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2017, 08:43 AM   #222
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
LOL!

When I stay at a hotel, I often bring my own, much more comfortable toilet paper. Most hotels have yucky toilet paper.
I agree we stayed at a hotel in Switzerland whose TP had the feeling of newsprint
Fortunately there was a market nearby, and with rudimentary German and a lot of sign language, I got some real soft TP
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 08:54 AM   #223
Recycles dryer sheets

I think Mr. Money Mustache readers corner the market on LBYM ideas. Using cloth for TP and only washing sheets every 3 months are two I remember (with horror).

I do wish my DH would share restaurant meals with me, but he often ends up eating his and part of mine unless I can get my leftovers into a container quickly.
PawPrint53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 09:49 AM   #224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
My contribution to this thread is suave shampoo. It used to be 99c, now I can get them at 99cent store for 99c, but not at regular store.
That's my shampoo too. I used to get it from Walgreens for 99c until they stopped carrying it about 6 months ago. CVS still have it, but in a bigger bottle (30 fl oz) for $2.49 IIRC. I forget the exact size of the older bottle, but the new one is about 2 - 2.5 times larger, so the price per fl oz is still about the same.

I really wasn't going to join this thread until I saw your comment about Sauve shampoo, and couldn't help myself!

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 10:04 AM   #225

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
I found if you run the tube over a sharp edge, like a counter top, you can push more paste to the end of the tube. So then I can go buy an expensive bottle of wine
I miss the days when toothpaste tubes were made of metal. It was easier to squeeze the last bit of paste out of the tube.

Halycon days indeed..........

Old 04-08-2017, 10:51 AM   #226

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
One other idea is to first check if prescriptions are for branded generics, ask for a change to the generic. Second because generics are cheaper, and also have had their phase 4 trial period (essentially the period of time the drug was under patent protection) the larger group should have found most problems. Tell the physician you want generics if possible.

I thought most insurance plans automatically switched you to a generic unless the doctor specifically requests the brand name. The only brand medications I get are for drugs where a generic isn't available.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 12:39 PM   #227
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout View Post
drink 2 buck chuck wine rather than Chateau St Michelle. Until then we will stay the course and enjoy our retirement.
I thought 2 buck chuck was a transient phenomenon when there was a glut of grapes? Did I miss something?
Old 04-08-2017, 12:53 PM   #228
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H
* Give up alcohol except for special occasions
* Cut your own grass, clean your own house, wash your own windows.
* Just say no to financial management services.
* Groom your own critter.
We consider a fine bottle of wine our reward for making it.
We outsource that stuff because it is work.
Agree about financial robbers.
Grooming your pet is a joy in itself.
Old 04-08-2017, 01:19 PM   #229

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
I thought 2 buck chuck was a transient phenomenon when there was a glut of grapes? Did I miss something?
2 Buck Chuck has been going for well over 10 years now, although it's no longer 2 bucks. Here in CA, it went up to $2.49, and is now the shockingly high price of $2.99. I just picked up a bottle for when my SO comes over tomorrow, along with a 6-pack of Simpler Times lager. We're a couple of cheap drunks

The Mystery of Charles Shaw, Better Known As Two Buck Chuck

Old 04-08-2017, 01:27 PM   #230

My husband used to drink Charles Shaw when it was one buck chuck. We definitely was frugal when frugal wasn't cool, well at least in the wine department.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 02:34 PM   #231
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
I drink the $3 water like Pelegrino. My kids always order it, so my husband and I decide why should we underspend them. Heck we always foot the bill.

I have a rule with my daughter, anything she orders that is greater than mine, she pays the difference. It gets her thinking.
kimmsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 05:48 PM   #232

One serving Wholly guacamole tubs when going to Chipotle.
We always have our SS water bottles filled with our pure well water.
Take showers one after another, to save hot water (don't know if it works, but we rub our naked bodies together on the exchange.
Old 04-08-2017, 06:28 PM   #233
Give me a forum ...

You didn't specify but I assume the other shower-er is your S.O.

(Why don't you just shower together?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
Take showers one after another, to save hot water (don't know if it works, but we rub our naked bodies together on the exchange.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 07:03 PM   #234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
2 Buck Chuck has been going for well over 10 years now, although it's no longer 2 bucks. Here in CA, it went up to $2.49, and is now the shockingly high price of $2.99. I just picked up a bottle for when my SO comes over tomorrow, along with a 6-pack of Simpler Times lager. We're a couple of cheap drunks

The Mystery of Charles Shaw, Better Known As Two Buck Chuck
Google Bronco wine company sometime, the maker of the "Chuck". Lots of interesting things involving that company, including selling wine that isn't what they say.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 07:39 PM   #235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
I thought most insurance plans automatically switched you to a generic unless the doctor specifically requests the brand name. The only brand medications I get are for drugs where a generic isn't available.
It depends on how the physician writes the prescription. A branded generic is a generic that is sold as a brand name it seems at the time my plan did not make the automatic switch. So check at a minimum, and also check the lists like Walmarts and Costcos for the $4 a month $10 for three months. (it turned out thru walmart the some pills were cheaper than the copay thru the PBM's mail order pharmacy.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 07:42 PM   #236
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, we don't use dryer sheets either, and we only use fabric softener on the towels.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:08 PM   #237

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Google Bronco wine company sometime, the maker of the "Chuck". Lots of interesting things involving that company, including selling wine that isn't what they say.
I think they use a lot of chemical. Most wine makers do now. I read that in Wired magazine.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 08:33 PM   #238
Recycles dryer sheets

This is an interesting thread in part because it shows how different people value different things. When I read through the ideas I think in some cases "wow that's a great idea" and in others "I would only do that if I were living in poverty."
medved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 08:54 PM   #239

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
Being frugal or LBYM doesn't necessarily mean a spartan lifestyle, not being able to travel or not having the money to afford nice things. I think many here simply like to bargain hunt and live well without spending as much as other people do for the same goods and services. A customer with a Groupon for a nice restaurant has the same experience as a person paying full price. Or someone can enjoy a trip on frequent flyer points as much as another traveler paying full price.

I just checked some of the deals on Groupon and one was a wine country limo wine tour marked down from $1,150 to $329. Another was a $800 meal at a fancy San Francisco restaurant for $280. One of my best bargains last year was going to a $300 wine and food tasting event at a fancy venue last year for $40 on seat filler tickets.

YMMV. DH refuses to buy Groupons any more. I think they're great if you buy them for something you regularly do and can just do it for less with the Groupon. However we got caught out one too many times feeling we "had to" go somewhere or do something we really didn't want to do at the time because we had a Groupon that was about to expire.

We have also found that we aren't big on happy hours. They sounded like a good deal until we realized at most places, you're restricted to house wine or well drinks and a limited selection of mostly high carb menu items.

We do try to share entrees or take leftovers home - really helps with weight management, as does eating at home vs out and cutting down on drinking alcoholic beverages. Always a balance, juggling having a good time vs managing weight and spending.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 01:34 AM   #240
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
YMMV. DH refuses to buy Groupons any more. I think they're great if you buy them for something you regularly do and can just do it for less with the Groupon. However we got caught out one too many times feeling we "had to" go somewhere or do something we really didn't want to do at the time because we had a Groupon that was about to expire.

We have also found that we aren't big on happy hours. They sounded like a good deal until we realized at most places, you're restricted to house wine or well drinks and a limited selection of mostly high carb menu items.

We do try to share entrees or take leftovers home - really helps with weight management, as does eating at home vs out and cutting down on drinking alcoholic beverages. Always a balance, juggling having a good time vs managing weight and spending.
Groupon was just one example, and Groupon offers discounts on many goods and services besides restaurants gift certificates like concert tickets, winery passports and travel specials. My point in the earlier post was being frugal and enjoying some of the finer things in life are not mutually exclusive.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote