Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-31-2017, 01:54 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post

I also swap credit cards every quarter or so,
Somewhere Dave Ramsey weeps

or screams.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2017, 02:01 PM   #22
gone traveling

We YBOM, but we're not as frugal as a lot of the descriptions here. Some of these items listed here are not worth our effort - a few are - to think about or do. We have friends who went to Hawaii in the low priced rainy season. Guess what happened every day. There's a thread every Fall on here about how to save $10-$20 on Turbo Tax. Not gonna spend the effort. And so on. One of my pleasures when going to a restaurant for dinner is draft beer. I don't go back if I find it's not served. It takes no effort to use a 2% off credit card & so do.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 02:02 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaela View Post
1. Wife and I only drink water when we go out to Resturants.
On water, I'd also add, if going on a trip, fill up some jugs of water using a filtered water pitcher at home instead of buying bottled water. On filter lasts a recommended 40 gallons of water.

Additionally, buy some foods in bulk and store with a good vacuum sealer. I can get a 10lb bag of leg quarters at a Meijer grocery store for about $6. No way would I cook all 10lbs at once without separating and storing.
Old 03-31-2017, 02:03 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
5. I've actually walked into Brooks Brothers (before a date) purchased a shirt or tie - and after the date - took it back and got my money back.
Some interesting ideas and some that are well over into the cheap side beyond frugal (i.e. water only at a restaurant and no beer or glass of wine with dinner) but this one goes well beyond cheap into theft IMHO.
Hyperborea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 02:05 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

When I rent a car on vacation, I try to take public transportation to an off airport rental site. The savings can be substantial.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 02:08 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
1. Wife and I only drink water when we go out to Resturants.
2. Wife and I will order ONE large salad at Panera and ask the staff to put the contents in two bowls. Oh, we'll also ask the server for an extra baguette when he brings our salads.
3. I suffer from FOBO. "Fear of Better Offers" which really limits my spending. I feel like such a chump when I purchase something and subsequently (within a few days) find it for a cheaper price.
4. Typically take vacations in the fall - because airfare and hotels are cheaper. I always use a Govt ID at a leisure rate on Hotel stays.
5. I've actually walked into Brooks Brothers (before a date) purchased a shirt or tie - and after the date - took it back and got my money back.
6. Use of Walmart Savings Catcher on IPAD.
7. Consumer Cellular offers $15 a month for 250 minutes of phone service. If I exceed 250 minutes, the cost will increase by $5 for the entire month.
8. I receive the basic 26 cable stations but watch the entire cable package at our local clubhouse/activity center.
9. When staying at a hotel or work, I will take the toilet paper. Some people take towels and soaps. I try to get a roll of toilet paper for each day of my stays.
10. When I used to get Per Diem for work related travel - I was so fortunate to stay in hotels that included breakfast in that I would always be able to pocket the extra meal per-diem.

I could go on - but needless to say my frugality is a lifestyle that I have conditioned myself to and I've been living this way so long that I cannot differentiate between cheap and frugal.

Cheers,

Michael
definiely cheap, really cheap
Old 03-31-2017, 02:11 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

my lbym is using wilson golf balls and not buying new golf equipment every year
Old 03-31-2017, 02:15 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
1. Wife and I only drink water when we go out to Restaurants.
Me too. The wait staff at restaurants are quite OK with this, and don't even mind when I ask for no ice or lemon in my tap water. Once in a very long while I will order a diet Coke.

At home I drink coffee, skim milk, and (mostly) tap water.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 02:15 PM   #29
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
On water, I'd also add, if going on a trip, fill up some jugs of water using a filtered water pitcher at home instead of buying bottled water. On filter lasts a recommended 40 gallons of water.

Additionally, buy some foods in bulk and store with a good vacuum sealer. I can get a 10lb bag of leg quarters at a Meijer grocery store for about $6. No way would I cook all 10lbs at once without separating and storing.
That's too much weight to carry on a plane for me. Bottled water at other end is cheap imo.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 02:25 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post

Movie night, its Tuesdays, $5/ticket and free popcorn.
Let me guess, Marcus Theatres? They just bought a Missouri company. Can't beat $5 and free popcorn.
Old 03-31-2017, 02:29 PM   #31

We're all over the place but overall we're LBYM'ers. By far the single biggest factor is that DW and I are on the same page. For the most part we enjoy the same things and spend accordingly. For example, we have Consumer cellular flip phones yet fly first class on vacation and enjoy top tier accommodations.
We have two homes, one in town the other down the road on a lake. However, there are no landscapers, handy men or other services hired. It's a hobby both of us enjoy (so far).
It's all about priorities and not just about money.
Old 03-31-2017, 02:35 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

We find the longer we are retired, the more good deals we find out about. We just discovered $5 movie day. We have it on Tuesdays though I don't think there is free popcorn. I pencil it in the book if we don't have anything else going on we can have a cheap $10 night out. If there aren't any movies we want to see, going out during the intersection of happy hour and Taco Tuesday is one of our fallback outings.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 02:36 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

I guess on an even bigger scale we live in about a third of the house we could afford. It's nice, good neighborhood and beautiful mountain views. We could afford a lot more, but why? Both cars are paid for. Never took out student loans.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 02:36 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
That's too much weight to carry on a plane for me. Bottled water at other end is cheap imo.
I should have said jugs of water by ground travel. Thanks for the clarification .
Old 03-31-2017, 02:42 PM   #35

Bit counter intuitive, but nevertheless it works for me: default to variable costs vs. fixed cost unless the business case is overwhelmingly clear. Shorter contracts are usually better value. Cost of most things actually go down, not up.

Make decisions opt-in, instead of opt-out. Very few automatic renewals or subscriptions for me. No package deals either. I used to refuse automatic payments too, changed my mind on that one recently. Too much hassle now.

And a concept I could call "high value secondary offerings":
  • Want a coffee? Go to Ikea. It's free.
  • Want entertainment? Go to a bar with open mike night.
  • Read print magazines? Go drink a coffee. Coffee costs less.
  • Need a meeting room? Ikea again, hotel lobby can work too. Free.
Just a few.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 02:53 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Some interesting responses here. Geez, some of you make me look like I have the spending habits of a Hollywood Playboy! I do not have a Costco membership, but will now consider one in light of the car rental benefits. Never heard about that one. Thank you all for your responses and ideas yet I must admit returning a used shirt is a bit over the top!
Islandtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 02:55 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
9. When staying at a hotel or work, I will take the toilet paper. Some people take towels and soaps. I try to get a roll of toilet paper for each day of my stays.

....I've been living this way so long that I cannot differentiate between cheap and frugal.

Cheers,

Michael
IMO you cross that thin line between frugal and cheap .... into "little white lie" fraud and theft.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 02:57 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
Let me guess, Marcus Theatres? They just bought a Missouri company. Can't beat $5 and free popcorn.
Actually, our local cheapo theater is $2.50 ($2.00 in the afternoon)... but no free popcorn.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 02:58 PM   #39

1. MVNO for cell phone service. We use Ting, but only for mobile data. Both devices have voice and text service disabled. We each use Hangouts with a Google Voice number for text and voice over the data network. Since we're usually on WiFi, we only use Ting data when we are on the go. Average bill is $35/mo for two phones.

2. OBi200 + Google Voice for free landline phone service. The OBi200 sells for less than $50 and uses your home network. When configured with a Google Voice number you get totally free home phone service. No 911 service though.

3. Cut the cable. We mainly use Netflix, Amazon, OTA, plus Kodi for EPG and DVR functionality... all running on 2 Fire TV boxes.

4. Cash back CCs for nearly everything including bills. We use AMEX Blue Cash for 5% on groceries, gas, and drug stores, the Amazon VISA for 5% on Amazon purchases, and the Fidelity 2% VISA for everything else. My favorite trick is to buy gift cards at Kroger which earns the 5% "grocery" cash-back from AMEX plus 2X fuel points for a total 12% discount on any large purchase.
Old 03-31-2017, 03:10 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
Bottled water? Like out of a tap and into the bottle you brought? Most parts of the world that I think people would be traveling, bottled water wouldn't be necessary. Yes if in parts of Africa and South Asia but most other places would think you are good to go.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote