Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-02-2017, 03:30 PM   #121
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
The biggest LBYM tip I have is to look at recurring bills. Cable, phone, utilities... Those are the places that small money savings can add up.
Buying lunch every day falls under the "recurring bills" column for some people. 30 years of $10 lunches adds up...

Learning to cook (at least to a basic level) will pay off for a lifetime.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2017, 03:45 PM   #122

Lunch here in a middle of the road place easily will run $15-$25 dollars with tax and tip, for such things as a burger and fries, tuna melt, salad, etc. Same with breakfast, even in a "greasy spoon." We could only do fast food for $7-8. So I think the area of the country means a lot in thinking about these prices.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 04:39 PM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
Lunch here in a middle of the road place easily will run $15-$25 dollars with tax and tip, for such things as a burger and fries, tuna melt, salad, etc. Same with breakfast, even in a "greasy spoon." We could only do fast food for $7-8. So I think the area of the country means a lot in thinking about these prices.
+1.

The cheapest lunch we've had here was $40-$45 for the two of us. $30 for breakfast.

Our average eating out budget is around $1000 per month. Experiencing different cuisine is enjoyable for us.
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 05:16 PM   #124
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Maybe it is regional; I have no idea.

Fast food here is WAY more expensive than local mom'n'pop restaurants that serve good, home cooked nutritious food. We essentially never eat fast food. It's overpriced, very fattening, and it's not nutritious. Want to look like "People of Wal-Mart"? Eat fast food once a week or more and you might be well on your way. Not only that, often it isn't even fast.

They aren't going to knock on your door and ask you to come to dinner. But local mom'n'pop neighborhood restaurants that serve good, home cooked, nutritious food just do not seem to exist where you live no matter how long you search, and you have actually put some genuine work into asking around among your friends, relatives, and online, researching, and trying to find a place that that doesn't cost an arm and a leg for a cup of soup or side salad or half a sandwich with water to drink, then I guess that's a problem. If you are eating more than that when you eat lunch out, then your concept of "meal" vs "feast" differs from ours. If you aren't, then your location might present a great opportunity for a young, ambitious cook.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:31 AM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperborea View Post
You can stretch them much further with no loss of shaving capability. I go 6 months at a time with no noticeable degradation. I tested it out to 2 years once as an experiment and there was enough downgrade that I didn't want to go further than that. I've even used it on those cheap hotel disposable blades when I forgot my razor on a business trip. It helped that razor shave better from the beginning.

I tried this with my month old blade and it works! Feels really good too.
You saved me even more on the blades. Thanks!
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 08:38 AM   #126
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

+1 I tried it too... jury is out but it seems to work.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 08:42 AM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
+1 I tried it too... jury is out but it seems to work.
I may try that. Then again, I already save on my blades............'coz I only shave a couple of times a week.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 10:00 AM   #128
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaela View Post
1. Wife and I only drink water when we go out to Resturants.
When I first read this I thought.... "Why would he not drink water at home?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaela View Post
5. I've actually walked into Brooks Brothers (before a date) purchased a shirt or tie - and after the date - took it back and got my money back.

9. When staying at a hotel or work, I will take the toilet paper. Some people take towels and soaps. I try to get a roll of toilet paper for each day of my stays.
Hmmm.. I would never do either of these because I think that it is a bit dishonest.
ChiliPepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 10:22 AM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
No coffee filters for me. No pods either.
My great-grandmother used to put grounds of coffee into a saucepan, add water and boil... then use a strainer over her cup. The older the grounds, the longer she let it boil... Let's just say my first experience with coffee was not the greatest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by candrew View Post
For those living in the desert S.W. one should use the "if it's yellow let it mellow"process ........
"and, if it's brown, flush it down."

My SO absolutely would not stand for that... she would get upset if I used the bathroom overnight and waited until the morning to flush.
ChiliPepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 11:39 AM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliPepr View Post

"and, if it's brown, flush it down."

My SO absolutely would not stand for that... she would get upset if I used the bathroom overnight and waited until the morning to flush.
You guys are amateurs!

How To Use Your Pee For The Planet | Rodale's Organic Life
ArkTinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 11:43 AM   #131

And then there was the time DW took the leftover deodorant bits and melted them in the microwave to reload the stick!
ArkTinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 03:27 PM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Maybe it is regional; I have no idea.

They aren't going to knock on your door and ask you to come to dinner. But local mom'n'pop neighborhood restaurants that serve good, home cooked, nutritious food just do not seem to exist where you live no matter how long you search, and you have actually put some genuine work into asking around among your friends, relatives, and online, researching, and trying to find a place that that doesn't cost an arm and a leg for a cup of soup or side salad or half a sandwich with water to drink, then I guess that's a problem. If you are eating more than that when you eat lunch out, then your concept of "meal" vs "feast" differs from ours. If you aren't, then your location might present a great opportunity for a young, ambitious cook.
I go to lunch once a week with some other retired buddies. We frequent local places, with good food and inexpensive beer (Hey, it's just once a week). At one local tavern I can get a really good burger for $2.75, and I can add a side for $2 if I am really hungry. And $2 beers (costs more than water, but the same price as a soda). They also have a great chef salad for $6.95.

You could get out here with a burger, side, and a beer for the price of many "meal deals" at the fast food places. (Well maybe the tip adds a little more)

Lunch, 2-3 beers, tax and a (generous) tip $15-20.

Three hours of shooting the bull with your buddies: Priceless
Old 04-04-2017, 04:14 AM   #133
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, I was thinking that, too. Even a cheap lunch in these parts is not cheap.

Also I don't like cafeterias, because I hate the smell and taste of mass-produced food. Just the smell of a cafeteria puts me off. I brown-bagged it my entire school and working life.

Quote:
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 08:36 AM   #134
Recycles dryer sheets

National Park Pass - Love to camp at $6 bucks a night
No cable
And lots of international travel, but coach and cheaper hotels
Kohls sales on clothing
Throwdownmyaceinthehole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:16 AM   #135
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
I go to lunch once a week with some other retired buddies. We frequent local places, with good food and inexpensive beer (Hey, it's just once a week). At one local tavern I can get a really good burger for $2.75, and I can add a side for $2 if I am really hungry. And $2 beers (costs more than water, but the same price as a soda). They also have a great chef salad for $6.95.

You could get out here with a burger, side, and a beer for the price of many "meal deals" at the fast food places. (Well maybe the tip adds a little more)

Lunch, 2-3 beers, tax and a (generous) tip $15-20.

Three hours of shooting the bull with your buddies: Priceless
So, get the chef salad and split it with one of your pals. Get water to drink. Your bill would be $3.48 plus tax, say maybe $3.80. Add a $2 tip (>50%), and you're out of there for a total of $5.80. I don't see what the problem is, except that you are eating and drinking several times as much as we do. Right now, you are spending more on three beers when you go there, than we would spend for our entire lunch. As you point out, shooting the bull is the whole point, not stuffing yourself, and you can converse for free for as long as you like.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:20 AM   #136
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkTinkerer View Post
And then there was the time DW took the leftover deodorant bits and melted them in the microwave to reload the stick!
posts like this make me want to keep w*rking
Old 04-05-2017, 09:26 AM   #137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
posts like this make me want to keep w*rking
Fear not, you can retire and still afford deodorant.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:26 AM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
So, get the chef salad and split it with one of your pals. Get water to drink. Your bill would be $3.48 plus tax, say maybe $3.80. Add a $2 tip (>50%), and you're out of there for a total of $5.80. I don't see what the problem is, except that you are eating and drinking several times as much as we do. Right now, you are spending more on three beers when you go there, than we would spend for our entire lunch. As you point out, shooting the bull is the whole point, not stuffing yourself, and you can converse for free for as long as you like.
There's a difference between "living" and "surviving".
Old 04-05-2017, 09:33 AM   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREmenow View Post
A post here last week (iirc) linked to a Wiki article that defined financial independence as "having enough money to cover basic necessities without needing a paycheck" (paraphrasing). By that standard I've been FI for a little while, but I'm not going to retire until I can substitute "planned expenses" for "basic necessities" in that definition. I want to enjoy retirement, not "get by".
exnavynuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:34 AM   #140
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREmenow View Post
We don't feel we need to feast every single day to be living. That would be so depressing!

Instead, we just eat lunch. And take a lot of criticism for doing so, by people who think it's impossible to eat without ordering everything on the menu.

Most restaurants serve over twice what a person needs, because they make more money that way. We simply circumvent that by sharing, or by taking half home. Or, often we will each order a cup of soup or a side salad (not both). That is plenty of food for someone in their 60's.