Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-05-2017, 07:02 PM   #161
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My contribution to this thread is suave shampoo. It used to be 99c, now I can get them at 99cent store for 99c, but not at regular store. My husband and I go swimming often, practically every day in the summer. Cheap shampoos and free hot water are definitely in the frugal category. No handbag is necessary to carry these cheap products either.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2017, 07:17 PM   #162
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I should get meself a handbag now.
I was 18 when I first saw men with handbags, in Rome. After my initial double take I realized they were quite functional, and the cut of their elegant Italian suits was not ruined by bulging pockets. So go right ahead.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 07:19 PM   #163
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
My contribution to this thread is suave shampoo. It used to be 99c, now I can get them at 99cent store for 99c, but not at regular store. My husband and I go swimming often, practically every day in the summer. Cheap shampoos and free hot water are definitely in the frugal category. No handbag is necessary to carry these cheap products either.
I agree - I was shopping for shampoo recently and even places like Target don't carry the cheap stuff anymore. There are dozens of varieties - all 4 or 5 dollars for about a pint.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 07:21 PM   #164
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I was 18 when I first saw men with handbags, in Rome. After my initial double take I realized they were quite functional, and the cut of their elegant Italian suits was not ruined by bulging pockets. So go right ahead.
Thank you.

Now, Neeson is manly and confident enough to use the pink color, but I am not so handsome. Maybe some different material, like leather?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 07:51 PM   #165
Gone but not forgotten

I colored my hair at home and I looked like Lucy Ricardo so I leave the hair coloring to the pros .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 07:52 PM   #166
Give me a forum ...

My hair gets whiter and whiter every day.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 08:41 PM   #167
Give me a forum ...

Hair? Who needs hair? Shave mine every other day. No haircuts, no shampoo, no styling gel.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 04:23 AM   #168

I color my hair at home also. And I get 3 applications out of each box, so it costs me about $2 every 6 weeks. Talk about frugal !
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 06:15 AM   #169
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Hair? Who needs hair? Shave mine every other day. No haircuts, no shampoo, no styling gel.
I may be a LBYM hair person!

I go down to the barber and get a "2" all the way around once every two months - $10
Old 04-06-2017, 06:17 AM   #170
Give me a forum ...

we should start a thread on who has the crappiest daily driver - right now I'm driving a pretty beat up 74 Ford F100 to w*rk
Old 04-06-2017, 06:20 AM   #171
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
We YBOM, but we're not as frugal as a lot of the descriptions here. Some of these items listed here are not worth our effort - a few are - to think about or do. We have friends who went to Hawaii in the low priced rainy season. Guess what happened every day. There's a thread every Fall on here about how to save $10-$20 on Turbo Tax. Not gonna spend the effort. And so on. One of my pleasures when going to a restaurant for dinner is draft beer. I don't go back if I find it's not served. It takes no effort to use a 2% off credit card & so do.
That pretty much sums us up pretty well. I will spend money on Tech or shooting stuff because I enjoy that. But will do the research to see where it is most economical to buy.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:44 AM   #172

Jerry Seinfeld on the man purse: It's not a purse; it's European!
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 08:34 AM   #173
Gone but not forgotten

Our favorite place to eat is at our local Chinese Buffet restaurant. When our kids come to visit, it's an automatic. In their Chicago suburb restaurant, the average meal is $16+tip... Nothing special, and doesn't include the choices we have here.

So... for fresh sushi, choice of to-order Mongolian Stir fry, and/or 45 main dishes... including 10 different chicken, 10 seafood, including shrimp, crab, salmon (my favorite), stuffed shells and steak, bacon, pulled pork, and too many other combinations to mention. Add another 15 mixtures of American food, including pizza and cheese noodles for the youngsters. Then there's the fruit and salad bar... 20 choices, and finish it up with the desserts from premium ice cream to brownies (maybe 25 different choices). Meals are all fresh, hot, and the kitchen is immaculate. All in an elegant setting.

Since we choose icewater with lemon, and we're seniors, the tab for 2 persons (Monday to Saturday) is $11.56. so with a tip, the meal is $15 for 2.
Last family get together for 12 people, the bill was $135 with a generous tip.

A different taste experience very time, so no reason to go anywhere else. I guess this is a LBYM thingy, but that's not why we go there.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:56 AM   #174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
Jerry Seinfeld on the man purse: It's not a purse; it's European!
Not just European, the man purses are everywhere in Asia too.
Hyperborea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 08:57 AM   #175
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperborea View Post
I miss Texas sometimes, I really do
Old 04-06-2017, 09:08 AM   #176

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperborea View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
I miss Texas sometimes, I really do
Eh, they're practical. You find them in the US too but often people try to hide it by using fanny packs, small knapsacks, jackets with big pockets, or just really large wallets. You got stuff and you need a way to carry it. Seems practical.

I've got a fancy leather one that my MIL gave me years ago that doesn't get much use because I rarely dress up fancy. I do have a couple of different small knapsacks that I use especially when we go out for the day - water, sunscreen, a hat, reading glasses, etc.
Hyperborea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:30 AM   #177
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
I love Suave shampoo and use it all the time. It's not only reasonably priced, but also it's great shampoo IMO.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:32 AM   #178

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I order up anything I want, I fear no restaurant -

+1
We could have RE'd several years ago if we had wanted to live a very frugal life, but we didn't. For us eating good food at nice restaurants, accompanied by a good wine, and traveling the world are important parts of our lifestyle. We budgeted to increase our spending on both of these in retirement since we now have more time to enjoy them. YMMV
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:33 AM   #179
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
I may be a LBYM hair person!

I go down to the barber and get a "2" all the way around once every two months - $10
I am going to grow a pony tail to save money on hair cuts ....................
Old 04-06-2017, 09:42 AM   #180
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Pine View Post
I am going to grow a pony tail to save money on hair cuts ....................
I thought about doing that but mine would just turn into a gallagher mullet